Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 04:28 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

I really don't understand what people have against IZOD. Just because it is sold at JCPenney doesn't automatically make it unpopular. Kohl's, Belk, Bealls Florida, and Amazon are also retailers who sell the brand, and in 2018 year PVH launched the ability to buy products directly from their site. Fact is the Advantage line has been a huge success for the brand, and 2018 has been a very good year for them. In fact in the previous quarter the Heritage Brands division of PVH (which includes IZOD) actually outperformed Calvin Klein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 05:10 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
well, there are different ways to look at these brands....

essentially, are they UNCHANGED?
same quality.
same price-point.
same manufacturing location.
if not, what changed?
updated marketing by the new owner? cheaper in China?
brands come-and-go. the Ted Williams brand with Sears.
ok...Sears, too. i still have my Daddy's 30-30 from Sears.
bottom line: what is old is new again.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I would argue LaCoste should be in the conversation. It was definitely seen as passe around 10-15 years ago, but has made something of a resurgence.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:39 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Could anyone give examples of once-dead brands that are now making a comeback?

I think the best example is Tommy Hilfiger. Once a dead brand is now the fastest growing brand for PVH.

A lesser example is IZOD, which has seen its ups and downs. The most recent downturn was around 2014-2015, but has been gaining popularity again since 2016.
With Tommy Hilfiger it is because that brand represents the best and worst of nineties fashion.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
With Tommy Hilfiger it is because that brand represents the best and worst of nineties fashion.
I just wonder how Tommy Hilfiger was able to regain popularity while Nautica has not. I guess PVH managed Tommy Hilfiger better than what VF was able to do for Nautica.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I just wonder how Tommy Hilfiger was able to regain popularity while Nautica has not. I guess PVH managed Tommy Hilfiger better than what VF was able to do for Nautica.
Tommy Hilfiger is a stronger brand. It has a stronger identity. The irreverence, blatant disrespect of what RL was doing with Polo (which itself was a rip off of a period of American history where men's fashion was utilitarian, and anti-fashion), and unconventional approach to prep is what made Tommy a hit for those of us that understood it. Nautica is a poor man's version of Polo. It lacks the depth that both brands have. Nautica positions itself as an alternative but it is staid and without character. I wore Nautica back then but tossed it aside once Tommy got popular. Tommy was okay until it tried to emulate what the European designers were doing in the early 2000s, through their premium label. Most of us moved to the real European brands, like Hugo Boss, back in those days, or even more expensive labels if we wanted to dress that way. Tommy should have stuck with what works for them. Ralph wanted us to pay money when he wasn't even really designing anything. Only thing original with Ralph was Polo Sport. A lot of people still do not get it and line up at the register. It took me a few decades to come around. Wearing Tommy then was like trolling RL. Now it is just nostalgia.

Some might like Nautica because it is straightforward, plain, and simple. But that in and of itself is utilitarian and not enough to push a brand. It didn't work well then and it won't now. Some might like Nautica philosophically for those reasons or understand it on a deeper level but that label will never be as big as Tommy.

Last edited by goofy328; 01-01-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-01-2019, 01:46 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Let me know when any of these brands make the most important comeback, which is "Made in the USA".

(Yes, I am willing to pay more.)
Bingo.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Bingo.
I know Ralph Lauren still produces its luxury Purple Label line in Italy or the UK. Not the USA, but not Asia or some other third world country.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I know Ralph Lauren still produces its luxury Purple Label line in Italy or the UK. Not the USA, but not Asia or some other third world country.
Fair enough.

That being said though, I don't know why people are so googly eyes over regular Polo Ralph Lauren. When I was in my twenties I was into it but I know better now. I did hold a flame for RRL for a minute but I think it costs entirely too much and its a lot of marketing. I'm not going to pay good money for something that looks like it's 100 years old and lost in a trunk in my grandmother's attic.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Diane von Furstenberg is one that comes to mind that was able to recapture where it left off, simply because its eponymous founder relaunched the company after a successful experiment in the late 1990s. Halston has also been relaunched as a bridge collection in department stores, using some of the heritage designs that has met with a degree of success.

Tommy Hilfiger still has creative input from the founder, so that makes for a change as to how the company has been able to have growth as of late, though the focus has changed from when it was originally launched.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty