U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:16 AM
Status: "The best view is after the hardest climb." (set 4 days ago)

42,289 posts, read 33,754,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is a great thread idea, Kathryn! I have several spots on my face that I wouldn’t mind being rid of. They are colorless, so not very noticeable, thickened patches, but still shouldn’t be there.

I don’t feel as though I have any disposable income for cosmetic surgery, but if I did, I’d get a nose job, and have some Botox. I would make a budget for laser hair removal, but my hair is too light, so it doesn’t work. My biggest challenge is chin hair.
Thank you! Listen, these treatments can be under $100 for the skin patches. Since I had two hands (and wrists) and one spot on my face, the price went up a bit but not all that much. I mean, for the price of a dinner or two out, you can get rid of some sun damage! I'm all in for that.

Today the spots they zapped are very dark and one of them already looks like it is drying up and probably going to flake off soon. COOL!

I am very hesitant to actually go under the knife, and I have reservations about injections of any kind too. Part of that is because when I had my wreck and tore my chin and mouth up (when I was a teen), though they put me back together again and I only have one visible scar (which I actually don't even think about and if I happen to recall it, like now, I sort of like it), I do have a bit of nerve damage and there is a section of my lower lip that I can't feel at all. I always tell my husband "Let me know if I ever have anything on my lip because if I do, I can't feel it." This has actually happened a couple of times! But he's cool about it. Anyway, long story short, I hesitate because of possible nerve damage - I know it can happen and how stupid would I feel if I got that just because of vanity?

However, I am researching microblading and that's something I could be talked into - if the price was right. I might ask if that would be a possibility for my neck after I get my little chin thing done if the neck skin needs to be tightened. Who knows?

Hmmmmm, laser hair removal...right now I pluck the occasional wild hair. But that might get old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:18 AM

24,357 posts, read 31,604,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I had my eyes done back in 2014. I had very heavily hooded eyes and it really makes me look much fresher, plus I got some peripheral vision back. I had some complications in healing and the lower lid on one eye ended up a tiny bit low. I could go back and try to improve it, but it's not worth the additional risk / time / cost for a very minor fix.

My mother had that done many years ago, insurance paid for it. A guy at work just had it done last year - also paid by insurance.

Old Today, 09:20 AM

24,357 posts, read 31,604,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's what they told me - I'd probably need a touchup once a year. Mine was $125. It was done at a satellite office of my dermatologist and I felt comfortable with the procedure. It was fast too.
Why? Do the spots come back?

Old Today, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My mother had that done many years ago, insurance paid for it. A guy at work just had it done last year - also paid by insurance.
Yep, insurance will sometimes pay for hooded eye fixes from what I understand.

I don't have that problem, thank goodness, though I can see a difference in the skin around my eyes now that I'm in my fifties. I don't have a wrinkle problem on my face at all - maybe a tiny bit but nothing I care about one way or the other. But what I DO have now is dark skin around my eyes due to the skin thinning. I discussed this yesterday with the aesthetician as well, and she told me that the answer to that, as far as procedures go, is injections of fillers. Ugh. Just what I want - fillers injected around my eyes. NO THANK YOU. So for now anyway, I will stick to very thin concealer and just accept some aging I guess.

I have been doing the concealer thing on the spots on my hands, but they still showed through. But I can use a thin concealer around my eyes and it's pretty effective for now. But I can really see how hooded eyes could be an actual health issue. Especially if insurance covered part or all of the cost - I'd totally get that done. It makes a huge difference in the way people look, and apparently in the way they can see too.

Old Today, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why? Do the spots come back?
They told me that these spots are not likely to come back, but that we all have sun damage below the surface of our skin and that over time they come to the surface, so other spots may appear and that's what they'd be removing.

That being said, I do have one spot that they said may take two treatments, but we will wait and see for that.

Also, I have to remember to put sunscreen on my hands. I remember that very sporadically but now that I have invested in this I will probably remember to do this more regularly.

Old Today, 09:27 AM

2,534 posts, read 1,110,082 times
Quote:
Yep, insurance will sometimes pay for hooded eye fixes from what I understand.

I don't have that problem, thank goodness, though I can see a difference in the skin around my eyes now that I'm in my fifties. I don't have a wrinkle problem on my face at all - maybe a tiny bit but nothing I care about one way or the other. But what I DO have now is dark skin around my eyes due to the skin thinning. I discussed this yesterday with the aesthetician as well, and she told me that the answer to that, as far as procedures go, is injections of fillers. Ugh. Just what I want - fillers injected around my eyes. NO THANK YOU. So for now anyway, I will stick to very thin concealer and just accept some aging I guess.

I have been doing the concealer thing on the spots on my hands, but they still showed through. But I can use a thin concealer around my eyes and it's pretty effective for now. But I can really see how hooded eyes could be an actual health issue. Especially if insurance covered part or all of the cost - I'd totally get that done. It makes a huge difference in the way people look, and apparently in the way they can see too.
There's a test that you take on an optical machine, and if the "hoods" interfere with your vision to their limits, insurance will pay the fee. It's not strictly a cosmetic procedure.

Old Today, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
There's a test that you take on an optical machine, and if the "hoods" interfere with your vision to their limits, insurance will pay the fee. It's not strictly a cosmetic procedure.
Exactly. My ophthamologist told me about this (also told me it's not an issue with me, which I agree with, but he said they will monitor it and if it becomes an issue, insurance will most likely pay for it).

Old Today, 09:32 AM

14,768 posts, read 30,096,138 times
Good luck, Kathryn, I hope it all works out for you. I am now 69, there are things I am not happy with (mainly vertical lines from my mouth and small jowls) but there is no way I will risk any kind of procedure for a few reasons. One of them is that I am a singer, and I have to be able to open my jaw very wide without feeling anything strange or tight. The singing works out my neck and jaw quite a bit. I have a long, thin neck, no fat pads, but have the "cords and bands." Also I suffer from mild TMJ which cannot be corrected but I have learned to live with that.

I have had many brown spots/moles removed in the past very successfully, and have even removed many myself through natural means. I guess that will be the extent of my procedures.

Old Today, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Good luck, Kathryn, I hope it all works out for you. I am now 69, there are things I am not happy with (mainly vertical lines from my mouth and small jowls) but there is no way I will risk any kind of procedure for a few reasons. One of them is that I am a singer, and I have to be able to open my jaw very wide without feeling anything strange or tight. The singing works out my neck and jaw quite a bit. I have a long, thin neck, no fat pads, but have the "cords and bands." Also I suffer from mild TMJ which cannot be corrected but I have learned to live with that.

I have had many brown spots/moles removed in the past very successfully, and have even removed many myself through natural means. I guess that will be the extent of my procedures.
I hear ya! I am not a singer, and I also don't have a very long neck - I mean I don't have ZERO neck but it's not long and with this waddle starting on me, it seems to shorten the look even more, so hopefully this will help. But I really hesitate to get any surgery or injections - I mean as in I probably will never do that - LOL.

I don't have cords and bands but I know what you're talking about. My best friend, who is a little older than me, has great skin and looks really good, but I noticed yesterday when we went together that she has that, instead of the little waddle thing going on. I think I could deal with that better. Heck I may get that one day too. But I can't stand this waddle. It's not big, it's not the first thing you see when you look at me, but with my older relatives, I can see where it's going and I don't want that, for sure!

I lost about 30 pounds this past year and that seemed to make the whole thing MORE noticeable, not less noticeable! Sheeze. A friend of mine who is the same age as me posted on social media recently, "I'm at the age where I have to decide - do I want to lose weight and have a better body but an older looking face, or keep the weight and have a less perfect body but a better face? I think I'm going with the face!" I needed to lose some weight I'd gained over the past two years due to stress, and I'm glad I did it but I CAN see the difference in my neck and probably some in my face around my eyes, so it was a tradeoff. Sigh.

Old Today, 10:01 AM

3,922 posts, read 4,658,359 times
Quote:
Exactly. My ophthamologist told me about this (also told me it's not an issue with me, which I agree with, but he said they will monitor it and if it becomes an issue, insurance will most likely pay for it).
Mine weren't that far gone when I had it done. It was something that would be in my future, but I wanted it done sooner for strictly vanity reasons. My surgeon was getting squeezed by the recession -- he still had to make payments on all the laser equipment and office rent, so he was actually running a special, with a further discount for upfront cash payment, so I did take advantage of all that. $2700 all in, and totally worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or