Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 11:57 PM

197 posts, read 301,906 times

Advertisements

(excuse for my English, its my second language)
I like to do fun stuff, and one of it is skiing, I do enjoy it, I was thought skiing in my youth, and I am happy, I could provide this opportunity for my kids, and this basically is whats fancy about me/us. I don't really wear fancy brand outfit, I feel this is waste of money. Fabric is fabric, I know quality cost, but I also believe that some qualities are overpriced.
A year ago, I've got Christmas gift from very close family member, it was arc'teryx jacket. Occasionally, I exercise in it, totally unaware that it's an expensive brand. Until this fall, I was looking for some winter clothes for my husband, and when searching, I saw man jacket $800 I look at the brand and then it hit me that I have kind of running jacket from this brand. This holiday, when I met again this close family members, I realized they and their kids all wear that brand like a crazy. I feel kind of sorry for them, they live for years in little apartment with two little kids, dreaming about big house but having fancy cars, clothes and complaining and blaming system that makes them unable to buy a house! Just because, I feel so close to them, and I own my house, I wish they have one too, and their kids could have own rooms. On the other hand, I don't got it! How can you spend so much money just to look rich, big, fancy??? I am asking this question here, and I wish I asked them directly same question, but I am afraid they will get mad at me and our relationship may loose. I am pretty sure, husband in this family is the one that push for looking fancy. Well, at least I can unit with them whenever I wear my arc'teryx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:54 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Not sure what you mean by looking "fancy" but just because something is a name brand doesn't mean people wear it just because it's fancy. It can also mean it's quality and quality costs. Judgmental can run both ways. I know people that refuse to buy from Walmart because it's "cheap" meaning doesn't impress others and I know people that only buy from Walmart because "it's just as good as …" The thing is either statement could be true depending on what you are buying and the purpose.

The important thing is really value, not price. Value is the combination of price, performance, and requirement. Sometime the requirement really needs a higher quality and more costly product that comes out more cost effective in the long run. Sometimes not. So don't worry about the name on it so much as the quality needed for the task at hand. And enjoy your arc'teryx jacket without worry.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:50 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
I wore my mink jacket on New Year's Eve and it was no big deal. Many women had full length, female pelt coats. So mine was just meh....

Old 01-08-2019, 07:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
id rather be practical and have a house/room than an 800 jacket...

life/finances is a balance..

arrogance and pretentiousness is frowned upon … in my family ..or area.

my brother is very well off....but you wouldn't know it..
many mainers are that way … don't get me wrong...they have nice things or travel....but not in your face "look at me" …. look what I have ….flashy-ness.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
How do I feel when I wear fancy clothes out somewhere? I wouldn't know! Have to have fancy clothes first. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty