U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 11:47 AM

27,071 posts, read 28,680,398 times

Advertisements

So I am just coming back from Ghana, and just like other parts of west Africa, itís knkwn for the tailored clothing (and of course the wax prints).

As I was out and about I noticed how well dressed people were (on the whole). And even in casual outfits. It was common to see men wearing dress shoes - even though it was super hot outside. Things fit well. And people had a lot of great outfits. Seeing the post church crowd at the mall was great - everyone looked so put together.

The malls had fabric stores so it was east to get a fabric and plan something.

I had a good local connection so I am having a coupe of things made. The cost for custom clothing was so cheap - the price of 2 fast food meals per item or $10-15 USD.

I know other places are know for tailors as well.

Have you gotten clothing made on vacation? What other places are known for handmade stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 12:19 PM

2,063 posts, read 2,821,319 times
I don't think custom made clothes are that common in the US because labor is so expensive over here. My husband made 4 business suits when he visited Hongkong 10 years ago and to this day, they still look good!

I grew up in Asia, and handmade clothes were quite common when I grew up (I think they still are, especially for special occasion clothes like an evening gown, business suits, etc). I remember looking through design sketches, and discussing what worked and what wouldn't based on my body and what I wanted from that outfit, and then the excitement of going to the fabric store to pick up the fabric, then the fittings, and finally the pride of wearing something that's unique and made especially for me.

Then I came to the US and it's store bought clothes from then on with crappy fabric and craftmanship. Sigh.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 PM

74,514 posts, read 66,170,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I am just coming back from Ghana, and just like other parts of west Africa, itís knkwn for the tailored clothing (and of course the wax prints).

As I was out and about I noticed how well dressed people were (on the whole). And even in casual outfits. It was common to see men wearing dress shoes - even though it was super hot outside. Things fit well. And people had a lot of great outfits. Seeing the post church crowd at the mall was great - everyone looked so put together.

The malls had fabric stores so it was east to get a fabric and plan something.

I had a good local connection so I am having a coupe of things made. The cost for custom clothing was so cheap - the price of 2 fast food meals per item or $10-15 USD.

I know other places are know for tailors as well.

Have you gotten clothing made on vacation? What other places are known for handmade stuff?
Mexico and Guatemala. Lots of handwoven traditional clothing. You can get traditional cloth and have a seamstress make it into whatever you want.

Ghana has its own versions of the hand-woven strip cloth that gets made into men's shirts or large cloths for wrapping around oneself, to create traditional dress. I love the patterns in the weaving and some of the color combinations they do. I used to buy boys' shirts made out of those strips, and wear them as a tunic. I'm not curvy, so they worked fine; they're flared at the bottom, so they fit loosely over my hips.

Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM

5,182 posts, read 2,335,973 times
My nephew traveled to Scotland. Brought back two wool sweaters personally made by a towns lady. Took about ten days...it had our family coat of arms. Cost $$$.
Also got a kilt ...

When a friend went to Thailand. ..the clothing...was again inexpensive...some ..one of a kind in creation.

Both scenarios though had a fee to bring back to the states.

Would love to go to the bizarres' in India. Some of the street clothing sold there is bold..dyed well and mended proper.

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

13,600 posts, read 12,529,244 times
Every time my wife goes to Russia, she get s few things made, pants and skirts.

You go around and find the material you want, she has a friend there that does the pattern, design, whatever it is called, then they go to the place to make the clothes. Come back in a couple of days for the fit and if any adjustments need to be made.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

4,267 posts, read 3,096,322 times
Hong Kong and Italy are great for custom made clothing.

We've bought bespoke clothing in these countries for very low prices. The clothes fit like a glove. Just outstanding.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

775 posts, read 223,639 times
I was in India last March and a lot of the women in the tour group had salwar kameezes made. Those are the outfits with a tunic, trousers and a matching scarf. They don't look as "out there" as a sari when you wear them back in the US. I bought mine off the rack and get lots of compliments.

I HAVE had business clothes tailored and made in the USA. Pricey but worth it.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

9,506 posts, read 16,651,216 times
My family and I got shirts made in Bangkok. I don’t remember the prices but I know it was reasonable and they are all still beautiful pieces. The cool thing about Thailand is that you can have them made in Thai silk, which is beautiful.

Old Today, 03:59 AM

14,632 posts, read 11,831,317 times
Sean Connery would come to Glasgow on occassions to have his suits made from a tiny tailor shop near where I live...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty