Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:48 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,871,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree with OP. Many look like they've been dug out of a filth infested dumpster.
For some reason that seems to be "the style" now. Have jeans with great holes in them. That's one aspect of it I don't understand but here it's in the minority thankfully. Most look OK though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 02:52 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think a great fitting pair of jeans looks good. The problem is, unless a person is fairly thin, it is hard to wear them well, especially for men. My husband has a bit of a belly, so if jeans fit his waist they’re baggy everywhere else.

What I think looks terrible are those tight denim leggings....even on young thin girls. To me, it looks so uncomfortable. I’d rather have a bit of air between my jeans and my body.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:53 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"Anyone agree?"

i agree they are not for me.
however, regarding most of the people i see, they do look better than:
1. yoga pants.
2. culottes.
3. capris.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
I hardly wear jeans and feel "dressed down" when I do. Certainly not acceptable to wear everywhere.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:45 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Anyone agree?"

i agree they are not for me.
however, regarding most of the people i see, they do look better than:
1. yoga pants.
2. culottes.
3. capris.
I wear yoga pants most of the time. They are stretchy, but not baggy, and always look neat. I wear cropped pants more than long, because I live in a hot climate, and it’s better than shorts...trust me.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:06 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
For some reason that seems to be "the style" now. Have jeans with great holes in them. That's one aspect of it I don't understand but here it's in the minority thankfully. Most look OK though.
It seems to be more popular in some geographical areas than in others over here as well; I don't see it that often in my area either. I do have a pair of ugly, holey jeans but those are the ones I put on for yard work/working on the car or other work which I would not want to ruin my nicer jeans for.

The area where I grew up was poor and it was common to see holes in jeans/pants. When I see the jeans with large holes in them, that is what I associate them with; it just doesn't make sense to me as to why someone would want to wear them that could afford ones without holes.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I am not up for the current trend of “wear jeans to everything”. They’re often ugly:

1. Whether or not they’re sold with a distressed appearance, they fade quickly. Nobody would wear pants, other than jeans. That had faded more in some places than others, creating an uneven look.
Eh. I have various hand - dyed tops that have natural, intended irregularities.

Quote:
2. All of the pockets, rivets and stitching just look rough and amplify when the jeans don’t fit well. If you wear khakis or or other regular pants, if they don’t fit, they just look too big and you see wrinkles. If jeans don’t fit, you see so much on the jeans, such as light-colored stitching, that amplifies the lack of fit.
I generally think that denim is far more flattering than khaki and other "slacks" material.

Quote:
3. Back pockets on jeans are almost never used and the designs on them can be ugly.
I use mine all the time. It's generally where my phone is.

Quote:
Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.
I agree that there are settings where denim is inappropriately casual, but that's about all.

Quote:
Khakis, or jeans that are all one color (such as beige or black), are more presentable.
I dislike colored denim (other than blue). I will make a sometime exception for black denim only if it is not even slightly faded) I LOATHE khakis in all instances.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:31 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I am not up for the current trend of “wear jeans to everything”. They’re often ugly:

1. Whether or not they’re sold with a distressed appearance, they fade quickly. Nobody would wear pants, other than jeans. That had faded more in some places than others, creating an uneven look.

2. All of the pockets, rivets and stitching just look rough and amplify when the jeans don’t fit well. If you wear khakis or or other regular pants, if they don’t fit, they just look too big and you see wrinkles. If jeans don’t fit, you see so much on the jeans, such as light-colored stitching, that amplifies the lack of fit.

3. Back pockets on jeans are almost never used and the designs on them can be ugly.

Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.

Khakis, or jeans that are all one color (such as beige or black), are more presentable.

Anyone agree?
Then don't wear jeans. Problem solved.

I wear jeans because they're convenient and comfortable. To everything? No. But then, almost no one does this.

I admit, I'm baffled by people who get all worked up because someone else wears jeans...

Old 01-20-2019, 04:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Then don't wear jeans. Problem solved.

I wear jeans because they're convenient and comfortable. To everything? No. But then, almost no one does this.

I admit, I'm baffled by people who get all worked up because someone else wears jeans...
Probably the same folks who get worked up about the contents of other people's garages.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times
Quote:
seeing hunter orange at a wedding reception...yeah that gets on my nerves

That must be a Maine thing. I've been to many weddings over my three decades and have only seen that once, a few years ago. The guy was wearing a blaze-orange canvas hunting jacket with camouflage panels. He had just a couple months earlier moved out here from Augusta, accent and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty