U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 06:18 PM

11,922 posts, read 17,397,453 times

Advertisements

This is the thing. People don’t like jeans because they don’t think they can’t fit into them. I have talked to old friends , classmates or coworkers about what we like to wear on our off days. All the chunky girls hate wearing jeans. Even those with lots of stretch in them. Unless of course the are into jeggings or super skinny jeans and WANT to show off their body. I was like this too when I was heavier. I hated having to buy size 12. I know...really stupid. Because a good pair of jeans that fits well can be flattering on most people.
I love 7 for all mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 07:06 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,132,313 times
Not all jeans wearers wear holey jeans. If you don’t like holey jeans, then I do get that. Young girls think they are cool. Its a fad. It will soon fade.

I do think jeans as an article of fashion are here to stay, as they have been since the 1970s.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 PM

2,053 posts, read 889,863 times
No, I don't think most jeans are ugly. Jeans have been a staple for a while now, not going anywhere

Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,176,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I am not up for the current trend of “wear jeans to everything”. They’re often ugly:

1. Whether or not they’re sold with a distressed appearance, they fade quickly. Nobody would wear pants, other than jeans. That had faded more in some places than others, creating an uneven look.

2. All of the pockets, rivets and stitching just look rough and amplify when the jeans don’t fit well. If you wear khakis or or other regular pants, if they don’t fit, they just look too big and you see wrinkles. If jeans don’t fit, you see so much on the jeans, such as light-colored stitching, that amplifies the lack of fit.

3. Back pockets on jeans are almost never used and the designs on them can be ugly.

Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.

Khakis, or jeans that are all one color (such as beige or black), are more presentable.

Anyone agree?
Jeans are no uglier than the bodies that wear them. Skinny jeans worn tight as sausage casings on fat legs are about the ugliest thing I've seen.

If you turn them inside out before washing, it prevents fading.

A nice, well fitting pair of classic straight legged jeans, or boot cuts, or boyfriend without the holes looks perfectly fine on any age.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 AM

9,637 posts, read 20,595,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I am not up for the current trend of “wear jeans to everything”. They’re often ugly:

1. Whether or not they’re sold with a distressed appearance, they fade quickly. Nobody would wear pants, other than jeans. That had faded more in some places than others, creating an uneven look.

2. All of the pockets, rivets and stitching just look rough and amplify when the jeans don’t fit well. If you wear khakis or or other regular pants, if they don’t fit, they just look too big and you see wrinkles. If jeans don’t fit, you see so much on the jeans, such as light-colored stitching, that amplifies the lack of fit.

3. Back pockets on jeans are almost never used and the designs on them can be ugly.

Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.

Khakis, or jeans that are all one color (such as beige or black), are more presentable.

Anyone agree?
Have to say the pocket trend irks me the most. They're very unflattering the way they are in most pants. Some aren't even centered right on the butt.

My pants are from 8 years ago. I found ones I liked by London Jean at Victoria's Secret so bought a bunch. The pockets and stitching are fine. The legs at 36 length fit. I love them and wouldn't be caught dead wearing most jeans of today.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM

9,754 posts, read 13,663,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Not all jeans wearers wear holey jeans. If you don’t like holey jeans, then I do get that. Young girls think they are cool. Its a fad. It will soon fade.

I do think jeans as an article of fashion are here to stay, as they have been since the 1970s.
My daughter is thirty, I remember thinking it was a crazy fad when she was in middle school and the kids all had to have the knees ripped out. Now it's not just the knees, I saw a pair the other day that had legs that looked like they had been caught and pulled from the teeth of some heavy duty machinery.
I always liked the jeans that were so faded they were almost white, they were so broken in and soft and buttery and comfortable. Of course back then we did that by actually wearing them to pieces, lol.
Oh and I can't stand jeans that have pockets that sit so low they are on the backs of legs, it makes butts look awful IMO

Old 01-21-2019, 08:34 AM

4,959 posts, read 1,735,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Pretty much anything can be ugly. Jeans are not exempt.

As for :

I saw plenty of ugly and non-Levis jeans growing up in the 70s.
Jordache comes to mind.

Way back in the day, when Disco was king, there was a club my friend and I used to go to. You couldn't get in if you were just wearing Levi's. You had to have "designer jeans". Jordache passed for designer jeans.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:41 AM

4,959 posts, read 1,735,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My daughter is thirty, I remember thinking it was a crazy fad when she was in middle school and the kids all had to have the knees ripped out. Now it's not just the knees, I saw a pair the other day that had legs that looked like they had been caught and pulled from the teeth of some heavy duty machinery.
I always liked the jeans that were so faded they were almost white, they were so broken in and soft and buttery and comfortable. Of course back then we did that by actually wearing them to pieces, lol.
Oh and I can't stand jeans that have pockets that sit so low they are on the backs of legs, it makes butts look awful IMO

Yeah...it was kind of a badge of honor sort of. That you ACTUALLY wore out your jeans. lol

At my age...I just can't bring myself to wear a ripped up pair of jeans. I don't really mind seeing them on anyone else...but it just irks me to pay money for something that isn't 'whole'. MY hangup. LOL

(I actually bought a pair where the knees were torn out. It was an impulse buy. I never wore them. I ended up giving them to Goodwill.)

Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 AM

5,607 posts, read 875,400 times
I am a 65-year-old woman, and I LOVE jeans and wear them whenever I can. (I do wear capris on hot summer days and dresses when called for,, though.) I don't care if they are ugly -- they fit, last forever, and it is not immediately obvious if they are slightly stained (in most cases, that is).

Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 AM

9,698 posts, read 8,966,959 times
Jeans can look attractive if they fit properly and the wearer is wearing the proper size instead of trying to squeeze into a size way too small.

Skinny jeans are very unattractive, makes most wearers look like Humpty Dumpty, and/or emphasize knock-knees.

The jeans with holes/tears are just a fad and will fade away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or