Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM

23,884 posts, read 32,174,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I am not up for the current trend of “wear jeans to everything”. They’re often ugly:

1. Whether or not they’re sold with a distressed appearance, they fade quickly. Nobody would wear pants, other than jeans. That had faded more in some places than others, creating an uneven look.

2. All of the pockets, rivets and stitching just look rough and amplify when the jeans don’t fit well. If you wear khakis or or other regular pants, if they don’t fit, they just look too big and you see wrinkles. If jeans don’t fit, you see so much on the jeans, such as light-colored stitching, that amplifies the lack of fit.

3. Back pockets on jeans are almost never used and the designs on them can be ugly.

Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.

Khakis, or jeans that are all one color (such as beige or black), are more presentable.

Anyone agree?
I don't agree. Jeans more than any article of clothes, need to fit well. Depending upon the jeans, they can flatter your figure or show it's flaws.

It isn't the 1980s. There are many styles of jeans out there. Not all are rough. Actually, designer jeans came out in the late 1970s.

I like American Eagle and Express jeans. I only wear denim and black. I don't like, and I have never worn, "dress pants". I wear dresses, skirts and jeans.

I wear yoga pants to yoga class. Lounge wear around the house - or jeans.

There seems to be regional differences in perceptions of jeans. Some older people thing of them as work clothes or farmer's clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 06:57 PM

725 posts, read 800,431 times
You get what you pay for. 30 dollar jeans don’t fit well. 120 dollar jeans tend to fit well and look well made even if stylistically they are rugged.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,415,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Anyone else agree? Back in the ‘80s, people wore Levi’s and there were few jean alternatives, so the range of ugly jeans didn’t exist, and people wore jeans only in more casual environments. That was fine.
You just showed that you don't know what you're talking about. The 80s were the height of the designer jeans era. Levi's?? Huh? Gloria Vanderbilt, Sergio Valente, Sassoon, Jordache, Calvin Klein, etc.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,295,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yeah, I wear jeans almost every day. Even to work. I have 5 or 6 pair of jeans. Most of them are Boot cuts, but I do have 1 pair of skinny jeans (which IMO, look fine if worn with a tunic that covers the rear) , and 2 pair of jeggings (2 different colors) that I also wear with tunics.

I live in jeans. lol
I wear fitted denim exactly the same way I wear leggings or tights...as a layer underneath a longer layering piece, like a tunic, a-line dress, long cardigan, etc. I don't wear skinny jeans and jeggings as pants, really.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:42 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,099,164 times
There's an old saying, "Pigs in silk are still pigs."

So, I suspect a bad appearance isn't always the fault of the jeans.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:06 AM

669 posts, read 573,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
You get what you pay for. 30 dollar jeans don’t fit well. 120 dollar jeans tend to fit well and look well made even if stylistically they are rugged.
I pay around $130.00 a pair for my NYDJ ( not your daughters’ jeans) . They fit great and worth the money. I wear the black jeans to work so if Anyone wants to question my choice I let them know that at least my thong is not visible! ( kidding..but, yes, I would say it!). Lol! i buy one pair per year

Old 01-22-2019, 07:46 AM

19,504 posts, read 9,037,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
I disagree in many cases. My husband and I regularly buy $40.00 jeans like Lee or Levis or Wrangler on sale, and they fit just fine. However, we are going for durability and fit more than style and good looks, and it also helps that both of us have fairly average bodies like the average people those jeans are designed for! :

Old 01-22-2019, 11:12 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,998,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
There's an old saying, "Pigs in silk are still pigs."

So, I suspect a bad appearance isn't always the fault of the jeans.

Duluth jeans....rugged, real jean fabric, in real jeans color. Firehose sewn into the waist band and cuffs.

Fit? IDK. The waist is fine, and they don't drag on the ground. They are made for what they are made for. Not to be "fancy".

And yes, no matter how well people try to trick other people with their "fashion", you can still spot 20 pounds of flubber in a ten pound sack from across the room.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 AM

50,036 posts, read 63,371,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I pay around $130.00 a pair for my NYDJ ( not your daughters’ jeans) . They fit great and worth the money. I wear the black jeans to work so if Anyone wants to question my choice I let them know that at least my thong is not visible! ( kidding..but, yes, I would say it!). Lol! i buy one pair per year
I have two pair of them, but I find they get too baggy after a few hours, so I’m trying some Lands End for $35.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:02 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,181,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I don't care for the style of some of them, but to each his own. However, I don't find them very comfortable anymore - I think they were more comfortable 25-30+ years ago than now, but maybe that is just an age factor.
I have found the exact opposite. I remember when jeans were stiff and uncomfortable (in the 70's). Now they have softer fabric and more stretch in them. I hated the skinny jeans but now that I lost weight I bought two pairs and find them quite comfy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty