Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 04:44 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times

Advertisements

It's the trendy brand of the moment, I find. However, Canada Goose sources down from the Hutterites, so like the Amish and Menonite communities, the cost is higher for similar goods that are not mass produced/harvested. Rarely does one need a Canada Goose in NYC, as I do fine with a cashmere top coat or a wool coat, although I do have ethically-sourced down jackets as well.

My lady friend, however, loves her Norma Kamali sleeping bag coat, which is warm for the coldest days, but the long coat works when outdoors, not as much when getting in and out of the car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 04:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well up here in New England where it actually gets cold, Bean's still rules.
Saturday night baked beans ???

I wear an ll bean jacket/winter coat

Old 01-22-2019, 05:01 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Marmot is pretty good, but Canada Goose is warmer. New Yorkers wear both of these brands because they spend a lot of time outside, young and old.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
I'm in NYC all the time and I see people wearing them. It's a "look at me" fashion statement. Like "I'm cool and I got a hip and expensive jacket". Most smart people can find comparable jackets for a fraction of the cost. Most grown adults that wear them are usually tool bags that want to look cool.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Yeah I see em around here. When I visited Yellowknife I also saw everyone wearing Canada Goose parkas. I think the expedition ones.

Are they really that warm? I guess they have to be since it was like -25F up there every day.

But for me, my $30 parka from Walmart worked just fine in the -25 temps.

Down here in NYC I don't even use the Walmart parka. Sweatshirt works just fine since it never really gets colder than 10 or 15 F down here, and most days are more like 35 or 40. So if I bought a Canada Goose, it would be a waste of $400. Completely unnecessary, even if you're out for 3 hours at a time.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:05 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Yeah I see em around here. When I visited Yellowknife I also saw everyone wearing Canada Goose parkas. I think the expedition ones.

Are they really that warm? I guess they have to be since it was like -25F up there every day.

But for me, my $30 parka from Walmart worked just fine in the -25 temps.

Down here in NYC I don't even use the Walmart parka. Sweatshirt works just fine since it never really gets colder than 10 or 15 F down here, and most days are more like 35 or 40. So if I bought a Canada Goose, it would be a waste of $400. Completely unnecessary, even if you're out for 3 hours at a time.
I don't have a Canada Goose Parka, but I am definitely more sensitive to cold than you. I could not survive in just a sweatshirt. Then again, 93 degrees with humidity in NYC doesn't bother me at all.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:16 PM

37,616 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Never heard of them.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:08 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't have a Canada Goose Parka, but I am definitely more sensitive to cold than you. I could not survive in just a sweatshirt. Then again, 93 degrees with humidity in NYC doesn't bother me at all.

93 degrees: the only place you'll find me is sitting in my office next to the A/C. I definitely prefer winter.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:45 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Around Manhattan, the most common jacket that I see is a Canada Goose Arctic Project one, identifiable with a patch on the upper arm: a circle with a map of Antarctica and the brand name on it.

What's so special about these and why have they basically taken over; Burberry, Barbour, North Face, etc. aren't as good?
For the same reason people buy a Mercedes.

Status symbol.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Why does everyone have to have a Canada Goose Arctic Project jacket

Everyone does not have to have one but the media says everyone does so now that particular brand name is all over the media these days so it's become more than just a trend, it's become more like brain washing. Because, you know, whatever the media says, then that's the way it must be. So consumers are being sheeple and talking about the brand and buying the brand, doing what the media tells the sheeple to do.

Face it, even YOU are being one of the sheeple helping the brand name and doing exactly the same thing the media is doing just by posting and talking about it on a forum. The name brand has been mentioned so many times now in other people's posts so now there are advertisements for the brand at the side of the forum page because of this thread. Now those advertisements will be there for weeks and weeks, because that's part of the brain washing that happens every time somebody mentions a brand name on a public forum.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty