Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 07:02 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
93 degrees: the only place you'll find me is sitting in my office next to the A/C. I definitely prefer winter.

93 degrees f, that’s almost exactly 34 degrees c, we’ve been on centigrade so long now over here now, that I automatically think in centigrade.
Whereas for years, I’d hear X degrees c, and double it, then add 30, to get a close approximation of the Fahrenheit temperature.
Once, I’d read, or hear 77, 80, or more in Fahrenheit, and know that that was hot, or hotter, now, I see 25, 28, or 30 centigrade, and think, must be in Tampa FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 07:11 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I have a Columbia coat and layer underneath it. I work in arctic Alaska. Most of the residents still use North Face, but I chose this coast because I have heard North Face coats have declined in quality over the years.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:28 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, it's the same thing as the teenage girls slopping around in Bean Boots unlaced. I have a pair of those, I use them when it's cold and slushy and snowy, and I lace them up because they won't be any good for their actual function if you don't. I assure you that when a teenage girl in Dallas, Texas buys a pair of duck boots and slops around with them unlaced in a group of her identical friends all doing the same thing, it's on the "stupid" side of the line and when I, a 55 year old guy living in New England, put them on and lace them up to go out and shovel the snow off the driveway, it's on the "function" side of the line.
Exactly.

It has it's purpose and for people that really need that, people who spend time outdoors in interior Alaska or northern Canada or go on arctic expeditions, they do make sense. That's not why they're popular. They're popular because of a large marketing budget and paid celebrity endorsements. I mean, you have freak cold waves like what's happening now where it would be nice. The rest of the time an uncomfortably bulky winter parka is rather stupid.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have a Columbia coat and layer underneath it. I work in arctic Alaska. Most of the residents still use North Face, but I chose this coast because I have heard North Face coats have declined in quality over the years.
Sample size of one, but I had a nice fairly expensive North Face coat (mid weight) that the zipper failed after about 2 years. Clearly undersized for the job, when I compare it to the zippers on my other coats. Probably chosen for the look rather than the function. Nowadays you can't get anyone to replace a long zipper for less than the cost of a new coat, so it's gone. Off to Marshalls for a new coat. (I love that place, you get "out of style" stuff for half the price of essentially the same thing they're selling in the mall. And I don't give a rat's hind end whether my winter coat that's going to get rain, snow, salty slush, etc., on it is the "latest style" or not, especially since I'll probably keep it for 20 or 30 years if it'll last that long.)

Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Sample size of one, but I had a nice fairly expensive North Face coat (mid weight) that the zipper failed after about 2 years. Clearly undersized for the job, when I compare it to the zippers on my other coats. Probably chosen for the look rather than the function. Nowadays you can't get anyone to replace a long zipper for less than the cost of a new coat, so it's gone. Off to Marshalls for a new coat. (I love that place, you get "out of style" stuff for half the price of essentially the same thing they're selling in the mall. And I don't give a rat's hind end whether my winter coat that's going to get rain, snow, salty slush, etc., on it is the "latest style" or not, especially since I'll probably keep it for 20 or 30 years if it'll last that long.)
I've had the same North Face coat for 6-7 years. Best coat ever.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:58 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I've never heard of this brand.

So apparently "everyone" does not have one.

But to the OP: Have you never heard of fads?

Old 01-31-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've never heard of this brand.

So apparently "everyone" does not have one.

But to the OP: Have you never heard of fads?
Come to Chicago or NYC. They're everywhere. No shortage of people willing to spend $1000 on a coat.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Are you kidding? a thousand bucks for a coat?

Well, the old saying about a fool and his money still holds true.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Status symbol. I think it's silly to pay so much for a coat.
Especially for an ugly coat.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Especially for an ugly coat.
That's not the worst part. The people that wear them are the type to be like: "OMG it's so cold, let me Uber two blocks instead of walking."

It's like really. You literally bought a coat meant for researchers in Antarctica and you can't walk two blocks outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty