U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2019, 10:18 AM
 
Location: NJ
9,785 posts, read 20,687,320 times
Reputation: 7225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Started with the Beatles circa 1964.

Then hippies in the late 60s with much longer hair.

Male long hair peaked in the 1970s ....about 1974 ...

By 1974 even middle aged men had longer hair, slightly over their ears.

Noticeably shorter on average by the late 1970s.

Michael “Meathead” Stivic character, played by Rob Reiner, on hit 70s TV show “All in the Family”
is a good example....
show debuted in early 1971 and he had longish hair that even got longer in 1972-1974
seasons, ears totally covered, then in the later seasons 1975-78 shorter hair but still slightly long.

Looking at old high school year books it is quite surprising to see photos from 1970 and 1971,
still quite short hair, considering that rock bands were pretty much at the peak of super long hair
by that time, most teens however weren’t exactly looking like Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, or Deep Purple yet.
1972 to 1974 school year books or class photos at any virtually any grade show most males
with quite long hair, some almost rock star length hair. Like most things ...once something peaks...it’s all
downhill from there (or should I say downhair). Even rock bands hair length started to
recede (no pun intended) from an early 70s peak.
Besides really long hair had long passed the “shocking” stage of the late 1960s hippie era.
Agree but I went to school with people in the 80's with long hair, then you had hair metal with Poison and Motley Crue. I didn't know anyone that had short hair.

My son born in 85 has had long hair since he was a teen. He always had a "tail".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,006 posts, read 5,771,114 times
Reputation: 5276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Started with the Beatles circa 1964.

Then hippies in the late 60s with much longer hair.

Male long hair peaked in the 1970s ....about 1974 ...

By 1974 even middle aged men had longer hair, slightly over their ears.

Noticeably shorter on average by the late 1970s.

Michael “Meathead” Stivic character, played by Rob Reiner, on hit 70s TV show “All in the Family”
is a good example....
show debuted in early 1971 and he had longish hair that even got longer in 1972-1974
seasons, ears totally covered, then in the later seasons 1975-78 shorter hair but still slightly long.

Looking at old high school year books it is quite surprising to see photos from 1970 and 1971,
still quite short hair, considering that rock bands were pretty much at the peak of super long hair
by that time, most teens however weren’t exactly looking like Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, or Deep Purple yet.
1972 to 1974 school year books or class photos at any virtually any grade show most males
with quite long hair, some almost rock star length hair. Like most things ...once something peaks...it’s all
downhill from there (or should I say downhair). Even rock bands hair length started to
recede (no pun intended) from an early 70s peak.
Besides really long hair had long passed the “shocking” stage of the late 1960s hippie era.
Very interesting and accurate post here.

Growing up in a small conservative town in northern Oklahoma I STILL remember the first guys I saw with long hair circa 1969. They weren't from our town. They were from Cali visiting. Our school had a dress code until 1972 that you couldn't have hair touching your ears. By 1972 they relaxed it to where you could have hair to the bottom of your earlobe but no longer. Lot of Page boy/Dutch Boy looks and a few guys (mostly stoners) actually wore wigs to school to be compliant with the dress code.

In 1974 I moved to suburban OKC and the school there didn't have a hair code, so we had long hairs running around school but not very many. Mostly stoners and a few of the intellectual types and some guys in bands. Most everybody else had more modest hair cuts.

Went to college in 1976 and as you said, long hair had run it's course as a big thing because it's shock value had worn off. Yet as college went on I started growing it again because I was a long distance runner and for some reason it was still a "thing" in that culture. Not sure why but it was. Maybe because football players had short hair back then.

The 80s long hair pretty much went totally to the mullet. Only strung out stoners and liberal radical types and maybe some biker types had '60s style long hair anymore. Earrings on men became a thing during that decade

In the '90s piercings kind of took the shock value stage and then shortly after that tatoos. 60s and 70s kids were turned off by tatoos (except for maybe bikers) because that's what your WWII sailor uncle had on his shoulder and arm along with some Pall Malls or Lucky Strikes in his T-shirt pocket. NOT COOL.

It's weird today. Long hair on young men is not uncommon. It's amazing how many football players I see on TV with long hair. That would have been unthinkable in the 70s when long hair was actually hugely popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 01:43 PM
 
839 posts, read 224,409 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Very interesting and accurate post here.

Growing up in a small conservative town in northern Oklahoma I STILL remember the first guys I saw with long hair circa 1969. They weren't from our town. They were from Cali visiting. Our school had a dress code until 1972 that you couldn't have hair touching your ears. By 1972 they relaxed it to where you could have hair to the bottom of your earlobe but no longer. Lot of Page boy/Dutch Boy looks and a few guys (mostly stoners) actually wore wigs to school to be compliant with the dress code.

In 1974 I moved to suburban OKC and the school there didn't have a hair code, so we had long hairs running around school but not very many. Mostly stoners and a few of the intellectual types and some guys in bands. Most everybody else had more modest hair cuts.

Went to college in 1976 and as you said, long hair had run it's course as a big thing because it's shock value had worn off. Yet as college went on I started growing it again because I was a long distance runner and for some reason it was still a "thing" in that culture. Not sure why but it was. Maybe because football players had short hair back then.

The 80s long hair pretty much went totally to the mullet. Only strung out stoners and liberal radical types and maybe some biker types had '60s style long hair anymore. Earrings on men became a thing during that decade

In the '90s piercings kind of took the shock value stage and then shortly after that tatoos. 60s and 70s kids were turned off by tatoos (except for maybe bikers) because that's what your WWII sailor uncle had on his shoulder and arm along with some Pall Malls or Lucky Strikes in his T-shirt pocket. NOT COOL.

It's weird today. Long hair on young men is not uncommon. It's amazing how many football players I see on TV with long hair. That would have been unthinkable in the 70s when long hair was actually hugely popular.
Would you say long hair became a thing in the 90s again with grunge/alt rock? Even length long hair seemed to be very common among rock stars from that era. Obviously the shock value had long worn off by that point, but it was still a thing that many people embraced (like today).

As for hippies with tattoos, I think they actually brought tattoos to the mainstream. Janis Joplin had tattoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2019, 02:28 PM
 
Location: S.W. British Columbia
6,524 posts, read 6,123,502 times
Reputation: 12077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
When was it most common to see men with shoulder length hair or longer? From my research it seems like that peaked in the early 70s, lost popularity for a while, then came back in the 90s. But more specific input on this would be appreciated!

I think you're asking the wrong question. You haven't done much research and should have searched the full history of long hair in men.

You should be asking "when was it most common to NOT see men with shoulder length hair or longer?"

The answer is during the short half century period after 1900 up to the 1950's. Before 1914 long hair was a common thing in men all over the world, and again after the 1950's.

Historically, for thousands of years before the early 1900's, short hair on men has always represented social servitude, military service or slavery, and long hair has represented autonomy and liberty. Short hair was introduced again for and by soldiers and peace keepers during the wars in the first half of the 1900's as a counteractive against head lice.

Now either long hair or short hair has become an individual fashion of choice rather than a statement of social status except for members of military and police services.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,832 posts, read 15,826,458 times
Reputation: 11741
I believe we have entered the man-bun era.

Long-hair bound-up and plopped on top of a male Hipster's head, yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM
 
839 posts, read 224,409 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I believe we have entered the man-bun era.

Long-hair bound-up and plopped on top of a male Hipster's head, yikes.
I hardly see any hipsters do that in real life. The ones with long hair either let it hang freely or keep it in a ponytail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top