U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:26 PM

74 posts, read 19,624 times

Advertisements

I did find an old thread on this topic but decided not to revive it. I've been wet shaving for over 20 years now and swear by it. Made the switch because I was drying out so bad, face itched all the time, left me with kind of an ashen look. Those chemical laden cans of foam just tore me up. There's really something to be said for whipping up a rich lather and applying it with a nice badger brush. I use both DE and cartridge disposables but prefer the DE, multi-pass method. I read once that the multi pass with a single, sharp blade scrapes away a thin layer of dead skin cells leaving your face to grow new, fresh skin after each shave. Sounds right to me because my face looks a lot clearer and healthier since switching.

Anyway I use a Rooney brush and various soaps/creams: Tabac, Cremo, Proraso, Mama Bear, Irisch Moos, TOBS, several others. Finish off with a splash of scented Witch Hazel and a nice aftershave to close the pores. It really does wonders for the skin and kind of just prepares you to meet the day. If anyone is struggling w/ the foams and gels I recommend giving it a try. There is an initial investment, but after that I think it's more cost effective. You're buying less supplies, less frequently. There's also a bit of a learning curve how to whip proper lather, shave w/ a DE and so on but nothing that can't be figured out. And that's my story on a snowy CO morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:53 PM

4,011 posts, read 1,743,985 times
I just shave in the shower using the same soap I use for everything else in the shower (Ivory).

Since my stepfather gave me the razor 40+ years ago, my only cost is razor blades. No "investment" necessary. All the little hairs go down the drain so I don't have to clean up the sink all the time.

Old Today, 01:17 PM

74 posts, read 19,624 times
Wet shaving can cost as much or as little as you want it to. I just splurged a little because I wanted some quality products but it's not necessary. I don't shave w/ bar soap but if it works good on ya; probly better than aerosol foams. And I too shower shave...much simpler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or