U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 AM

5,077 posts, read 12,499,538 times

Advertisements

Oh No! Not the dreaded unibrow! LOL It's like a monster growing on your forehead HAHA - JUST kidding.. I'm going to agree with your local barbershop, they should be able to help a brother out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:26 PM

187 posts, read 551,996 times
I dont know how many barber shops wax, but i work at a cost cutters and a have more men than ever who just come in for a haircut and say "and could you clean up my brows please." I just trim them and wax what needs to be. the wifes and girlfriends usually tell them to do it. But its no need to be embarrased its so comman.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,479,294 times
I have to trim and pluck my husbands eye brows, otherwise he will end up with a bushy and furry "uni brow".
I agree with a pp's statement, that the hair will grow back after being plucked. (I have been plucking mine out since years now.......and they keep on coming back....grrrrrr. )
It's better to have it done by someone else first, to make it even, and "outline" the shape. (You can follow up doing the "maintenance work" thereafter)
My husbands eye brow hair also grows into different directions, making it tricky to get an even shape out of it.
He didn't wait the one time, over trimming and over plucking....to end up looking somewhat "funny".

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,644,041 times
I have heard that plucking can sometimes, over very much time, cause damage to the follicle that the hair grows out of and so the hair will not grow back.

If you have hair right over the nose that you will never want again, I would pluck those regularly. Do not overdo it and pluck a thinner area than you think you should until your 'eye' becomes adjusted to better assessing what you are doing. The rest I would trim using the little moustache comb as mentioned above.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have heard that plucking can sometimes, over very much time, cause damage to the follicle that the hair grows out of and so the hair will not grow back. .....
I have heard that to...believe me.
BUT, how long does it take for the darn hair NOT to grow back anymore????
I've been plucking for well over 23 years now.....and those pesky things still find a way to come back, where I don't want them, need 'em or like to have 'em...(that's where the plucking comes in )
So, I am pretty positive that this myth is everything BUT true.....huh.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 PM

12,411 posts, read 15,644,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
I've been plucking for well over 23 years now.....and those pesky things still find a way to come back, where I don't want them, need 'em or like to have 'em...(that's where the plucking comes in )
So, I am pretty positive that this myth is everything BUT true.....huh.
My brows are very light and fine. I have been plucking the area near my nose for over 20 years. The hair in the area is much lighter now, but it may be just a side effect of aging.

It could also be that I am so old that I am slowly going blind. Ha!

I would not wait for plucking to take its toll, for by the time that would happen you will be too old to appreciate it, but it does a better job than cutting.

I have never tried electrolysis, and do not know if they will do that around the eye, but if I had dark hair that was really annoying, I might ask around. Maybe a dermatologist could make a recommendation.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 PM

32,823 posts, read 41,124,889 times
Hello? I WISH plucked hairs didn't grow back. If they didn't, then nobody would need to pluck their eyebrow more than once. I suggest you take an old toothbrush and brush everything up. Pull out any hair that goes above the desired shape of the brow or any that go in a weird or aberrant direction or stick out too much.
I think it looks funny when guys have their eyebrows cut like a haircut.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:04 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
My brows are very light and fine. I have been plucking the area near my nose for over 20 years. The hair in the area is much lighter now, but it may be just a side effect of aging.

It could also be that I am so old that I am slowly going blind. Ha!

I would not wait for plucking to take its toll, for by the time that would happen you will be too old to appreciate it, but it does a better job than cutting.

I have never tried electrolysis, and do not know if they will do that around the eye, but if I had dark hair that was really annoying, I might ask around. Maybe a dermatologist could make a recommendation.
Awwww.........Now you really "shattered" my illusion.....LOl...... because I thought (and was hoping), you knew something I didn't, and would proof me wrong about the hair NOT growing back.......*pffffftttt*
I know about the electrolysis method, but, I won't take on that task....yet, for a number of reasons. (Not sufficient cash stashed away, no time, no patience, no need for it...yet)
But, of course, THAT might change in the future, and I never say "never"...LOL.
Worse case scenario....a blowtorch, weedwacker or lawnmower comes to mind...ROTFL.
For right now, the plucking will do just fine.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 PM

40 posts, read 130,222 times
Try trimming your brows using a small comb by brushing them upwards and cutting the longest hairs which stick out from the rest. For plucking the hairs on your nose between the brows, pluck each hair separately, by pinching it at the root and pulling in the direction in the which that hair is growing. Make sure you pull as quickly as possible in a jerk like motion so that it doesn't hurt. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jone10021 View Post
Try trimming your brows using a small comb by brushing them upwards and cutting the longest hairs which stick out from the rest. For plucking the hairs on your nose between the brows, pluck each hair separately, by pinching it at the root and pulling in the direction in the which that hair is growing. Make sure you pull as quickly as possible in a jerk like motion so that it doesn't hurt. Good luck.
I do that, since 20 some years, and it works for me.
BUT.....my husband turns into a little baby, when I do that to him. (He's saying that it feels like those hairs in the middle of the brows feel like they are attached to "his brain"....when I pluck them for him. He's such a "wussy".....LOL )
Now I just trim it anymore, because I "scarred" him for life, with the so called "pain" he had incurred.
Some Guys......huh, huh, huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty