U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 06:07 PM

4,911 posts, read 7,482,138 times

Advertisements

With the traditional seasonal fashion calendar of spring/summer and fall/winter, department stores typically stock what the fashion companies give them, regardless of region. However, with the proliferation of online shopping, those in warm climates can buy available stock of spring/summer clothes year-round, while those in very cold climates can buy fall/winter stock while it is still cold in the early part of the spring/summer selling cycle.

Does anyone think that with online shopping, the traditional fashion calendars are hurting department stores? I am pretty sure the polar vortex isn't helping them sell spring/summer clothes that are on shelves now. I am pretty sure that many in Florida/Texas/Arizona/Hawaii probably would prefer to buy spring/summer clothes year-round if given the choice, while those in Minnesota/North Dakota would prefer to wait until it gets warmer to buy their spring/summer clothes.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 02-01-2019 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 09:48 PM

11,689 posts, read 6,971,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
With the traditional seasonal fashion calendar of spring/summer and fall/winter, department stores typically stock what the fashion companies give them, regardless of region. However, with the proliferation of online shopping, those in warm climates can buy available stock of spring/summer clothes year-round, while those in very cold climates can buy fall/winter stock while it is still cold in the early part of the spring/summer selling cycle.

Does anyone think that with online shopping, the traditional fashion calendars are hurting department stores? I am pretty sure the polar vortex isn't helping them sell spring/summer clothes that are on shelves now. I am pretty sure that many in Florida/Texas/Arizona/Hawaii probably would prefer to buy spring/summer clothes year-round if given the choice, while those in Minnesota/North Dakota would prefer to wait until it gets warmer to buy their spring/summer clothes.
I don't mind it. It just means that by the time winter is in full force, everything is on sale or deeply discounted. That is when I buy most of my winter clothing, and I still have a few months to enjoy it before it gets packed away. I was at the store the other day when it was 5 degrees outside and a wind chill somewhere in the negative twenties. Half the clothing department was swim suites, while the hats, gloves, and scarves were all 50% off.

I do wonder why the stores go along with this schedule though. I doubt anyone is actually buying swim suites in January, except for a select few who might be going on vacation to warmer climates. The large majority of their customers are still buying winter clothes if they are buying clothes. But then, maybe the January/February clearances help them get rid of their stock before the weather warms up and everyone has moved on to spring/summer clothing.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:05 PM

6,153 posts, read 7,368,050 times
Perhaps department stores in warmer climates have spring/summer stuff, but in the Midwest it's difficult to buy warmer weather clothes in January and February. Typically we go on a trip in March to a warmer place, and I try to buy a few new shirts. It's nearly impossible to do so except online. Department stores are still trying to get rid of winter stuff with deep discounts and minimal amounts of warmer weather clothing.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Perhaps department stores in warmer climates have spring/summer stuff, but in the Midwest it's difficult to buy warmer weather clothes in January and February. Typically we go on a trip in March to a warmer place, and I try to buy a few new shirts. It's nearly impossible to do so except online. Department stores are still trying to get rid of winter stuff with deep discounts and minimal amounts of warmer weather clothing.
Are you sure? According to this report by someone in Michigan this isn't the case:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...es/2710984002/

Apparently in Michigan the spring/summer clothes are already in stores and there is a local shortage of fall/winter clothes.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:26 PM

11,689 posts, read 6,971,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
A lot of stores already have the spring stuff in stock here in St. Louis. It's been that way for a few weeks now. I'm surprised that Indiana would still have nothing but winter stuff in March. I always figure the swimsuits that are out now are for those getting a head start on their spring break shopping.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
A lot of stores already have the spring stuff in stock here in St. Louis. It's been that way for a few weeks now. I'm surprised that Indiana would still have nothing but winter stuff in March. I always figure the swimsuits that are out now are for those getting a head start on their spring break shopping.
Note that resort collections that are typical of premium and luxury womenswear have been out since November. For menswear some brands put out their spring collections around the same time, although exact distribution may vary by region. Here in Arizona JCPenney had my favorite brand's Spring 2019 collection in stores locally since at least December; the first products were released November.

Old Today, 01:05 PM

20,100 posts, read 13,209,472 times
I do think online shopping has hurt department stores, and I think I am not alone in thinking this. While we might like to buy some clothing items in person, there are many, many items that I would buy online. These would include shoes, kitchen goods, bedding, and outerwear. I would buy fragrance and cosmetics at different stores.

I buy shoes and outerwear because I can’t find my size or fit at the department store. Which brings us to another problem. Department stores don’t carry clothing for everyone. Shoes have been a particular problem for me. Outerwear in larger sizes is often badly made, not stylish and ill fitting. Department stores seem to carry their best clothing only for a narrow range of small sized young women. Even if a store has a well stocked plus size department, the outerwear selection will usually be very limited.

Younger women really don’t like department stores. The stores carry more downmarket clothing than ever. Bridge lines of women’s wear have disappeared. So, there are many reasons why people don’t find what they need, and finally quit visiting.

One thing department stores do have is a good handbag department and you can see them, and sometimes carch a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or