Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 AM

15,197 posts, read 10,158,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
True but being a dork at the gym is just bad.

Not a my gym. We are a no judgment zone. We have people there of all sizes, shapes, nationalities, etc. Nobody is going to care what you are wearing as long as all the private parts are covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 10:30 AM

496 posts, read 549,620 times
In school gym class, we were required to wear white socks because they were "more hygienic" and "if you get a cut, dye won't get into the cut." Then the coach let the cat out of the bag - "it's so any blood from your wounds will show."

Not kidding; that was the line the coach used. I guess we were expected to try to kill each other during practice.

Anyway, I've worn white socks to the gym ever since.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:48 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,912,666 times
well, then, wear red socks so the blood will not show.
that is why the ancient Spartans wore red clothes.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:54 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,051,561 times
I wear whatever socks I have, but they are all ankle/no show socks

Old 02-04-2019, 02:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
I am 53 and prefer white socks. I prefer the low cut socks though. Two of my sons also hit the gym and they prefer black socks. My 14 year old only wears NIKE socks and has mostly black with white NIKE on the socks. My wife prefers dark grey socks at the gym.

No one is going to ever think I am trying to impress anyone with my socks or any other clothing item at the gym. I try to impress with my workout.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,714,412 times
Those black, fuzzy, cheap, ankle-length "dress" socks, used to be, Dork Chic. Now, they're just conformist and lame, in a homophobic, low-class, wrong side of town, "guys are supposed to be ugly" kind of way.

One of my friends in Mississippi, was observing that when his Intern, from a wealthy Palos Verdes Estates family (via ultra-expensive Tulane University) first showed up at the gym, in '92, he had on those dorky black socks, with tennis shoes. It was witty - basically what private school kids were doing, in wealthy places, in the Early Nineties.

People at the gym pointed and laughed, because it was Mississippi, and they weren't up on obscure trends. Those black socks just looked stupid, to people in Pearl, Mississippi, because blue collar Mississippians weren't in on the joke.

Those black socks weren't being worn by kids like that intern, because they were proper, or because they looked good. They were worn, in order for the wearer to deliberately look awkward - for humorous effect.

But somehow, they caught on - maybe because poor kids saw rich kids doing it.

I was in that same town, a few months back, and saw a young guy from the wrong side of the metro, wearing black socks with workout shoes. A quarter-century after black socks were a funny insider's joke among rich kids, they'd become STANDARD - CONFORMIST wear, in a blue collar neighborhood, in the poorest and most backward state. The guy looked HORRIBLE - even though he should have looked fantastic (huge, hairy, muscular, fantastic thick brush-cut hair - a total fantasy beast of a man, except for those dorky socks). He was ruining his looks, with those stupid socks. They threw everything off - made his ankles look skinny, and his legs look wrong. All that needed changing, was for him to put on some no-show socks - in ANY color.

There is nothing wrong with guys dressing well at the gym. For a significant portion of the population, the gym has replaced churches and bars, as places where people spend their time. Different looks work for different guys. And locales, matter, too. You can look fantastic, while "sweating", or you can look like less-than-zero - totally by choosing the right garments, or the wrong ones.

I met my husband in a gym (first semester of our first year of college, in 'Weightlifting 101', where we were the only two ugly ones, in a room full of beauties). Many people meet their mates in gyms. I've hired innumerable people I've met at the gym (you get to observe, and get a measure of their true character and potential). I've made some crucial business contacts, at gyms. I know cops and firemen in every town where I do business, because I hit the gyms, and they hit-me-up (they don't get any, but I do make a lot of friends, that way). Friends have married high-earning professionals I've met at gyms, then introduced to them.

So, YES! If you want to look good while there, then GO FOR IT!!!!! Looking good at the gym, can pay off, in all sorts of ways.

Oh, and the perennially standard, correct, "go-to", "default setting" color for any athletic endeavors where "sweating" is a possibility, is WHITE - white cotton, specifically - because it can be washed in hot water, is bleachable, is absorbent, and does not contain dyes: all of which means it's the most comfortable and hygienic.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 PM

18,491 posts, read 7,250,380 times
Quote:
For this set of clothes, are white socks geeky or OK? Should the socks be black or gray instead?

* Black or other dark short-sleeve gym shirt
* Black or gray gym shorts
* Gray/black running shoes

How about if the running shoes are various colors, such as light blue?

Thanks.
Doesn't matter. Wear white.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:02 PM

6,378 posts, read 3,853,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Those black, fuzzy, cheap, ankle-length "dress" socks, used to be, Dork Chic. Now, they're just conformist and lame, in a homophobic, low-class, wrong side of town, "guys are supposed to be ugly" kind of way.

One of my friends in Mississippi, was observing that when his Intern, from a wealthy Palos Verdes Estates family (via ultra-expensive Tulane University) first showed up at the gym, in '92, he had on those dorky black socks, with tennis shoes. It was witty - basically what private school kids were doing, in wealthy places, in the Early Nineties.

People at the gym pointed and laughed, because it was Mississippi, and they weren't up on obscure trends. Those black socks just looked stupid, to people in Pearl, Mississippi, because blue collar Mississippians weren't in on the joke.

Those black socks weren't being worn by kids like that intern, because they were proper, or because they looked good. They were worn, in order for the wearer to deliberately look awkward - for humorous effect.

But somehow, they caught on - maybe because poor kids saw rich kids doing it.

I was in that same town, a few months back, and saw a young guy from the wrong side of the metro, wearing black socks with workout shoes. A quarter-century after black socks were a funny insider's joke among rich kids, they'd become STANDARD - CONFORMIST wear, in a blue collar neighborhood, in the poorest and most backward state. The guy looked HORRIBLE - even though he should have looked fantastic (huge, hairy, muscular, fantastic thick brush-cut hair - a total fantasy beast of a man, except for those dorky socks). He was ruining his looks, with those stupid socks. They threw everything off - made his ankles look skinny, and his legs look wrong. All that needed changing, was for him to put on some no-show socks - in ANY color.

There is nothing wrong with guys dressing well at the gym. For a significant portion of the population, the gym has replaced churches and bars, as places where people spend their time. Different looks work for different guys. And locales, matter, too. You can look fantastic, while "sweating", or you can look like less-than-zero - totally by choosing the right garments, or the wrong ones.

I met my husband in a gym (first semester of our first year of college, in 'Weightlifting 101', where we were the only two ugly ones, in a room full of beauties). Many people meet their mates in gyms. I've hired innumerable people I've met at the gym (you get to observe, and get a measure of their true character and potential). I've made some crucial business contacts, at gyms. I know cops and firemen in every town where I do business, because I hit the gyms, and they hit-me-up (they don't get any, but I do make a lot of friends, that way). Friends have married high-earning professionals I've met at gyms, then introduced to them.

So, YES! If you want to look good while there, then GO FOR IT!!!!! Looking good at the gym, can pay off, in all sorts of ways.

Oh, and the perennially standard, correct, "go-to", "default setting" color for any athletic endeavors where "sweating" is a possibility, is WHITE - white cotton, specifically - because it can be washed in hot water, is bleachable, is absorbent, and does not contain dyes: all of which means it's the most comfortable and hygienic.
You're kind of negating your own argument... if you two were the "only ugly ones" at the gym, but still hooked up... it must not matter. I met the guy I'm currently seeing at the gym, where we were in the same workout group. He never saw me except when I was in workout clothes, sweating like crazy, red-faced, huffing and puffing (and no, the most fashionable workout clothes were not going to negate those other points). Asked me out anyway. He must've seen something more in my working out and in my personality when talking to me, than in how trendy I looked. If he wanted a catwalk model, he would've gone to a fashion show. I don't care if you look like a fashion plate in the gym... if you're not actually working out (especially if you're just there to be seen looking good), if your form is ridiculous and you don't care, if you do something dumb to injure yourself, if you have no idea what you're doing, I'm not impressed. If you can work hard with good form, you're legit in my mind even if you're wearing a clown suit.

It's fine if I make business (or any sort of) contacts at the gym, but if they expect me to look like anything except a person who's working out, and hopefully hard, they're going to be disappointed. (And I will be disappointed in them for having silly and unrealistic expectations, never mind if they make judgment calls about me based on the color or cut of my socks.) I don't worry about looking good IN the gym because I'm there to look (and feel) good when I'm not in the gym. Which is a hell of a lot more attractive than knowing the "right" color socks to wear.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:23 PM

5,457 posts, read 3,330,089 times
Quote:
For this set of clothes, are white socks geeky or OK? Should the socks be black or gray instead?

* Black or other dark short-sleeve gym shirt
* Black or gray gym shorts
* Gray/black running shoes

How about if the running shoes are various colors, such as light blue?

Thanks.

I understand nowadays the gym is where people show off their workout outfits. The more expensive and fashionable the more you are admired. Consider the following quote from website, CLICK HERE.

Quote:
Today fashion allows us to combine colors that we never imagined, but there are others which should never be together because really these are not very well.
  • Brown and black. ...
  • Gray and Brown. ...
  • Blue and black. ...
  • Red and Green. ... [a Xmas combo]
  • Green and pink. ...
  • Green and orange. ...
  • Purple and Yellow. ...[an Easter combo]
  • Red and Orange.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
I don’t wear white socks to the gym since I have no white clothes and I hate dingy looking socks. I usually wear ankle socks that are no show. Mostly grey, but whatever is clean wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty