U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:23 PM

2,785 posts, read 521,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It appears the girl in the 2nd photo has a jacket on the back of her chair. Maybe the room was hot and she took it off?
I would like to see that happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 PM

10,178 posts, read 14,609,851 times
I am old school. I grew on old class European bon tone etiquette. I even know how to hold fork right!
Any underwear should never be showing, according to that school.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:59 PM

12,081 posts, read 9,967,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Take this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGoXHXyIY9A

Would you view it as tacky?
Not tacky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
The girl talking? She's wearing a turtleneck. Yeah, you can tell she has a bra on. It's no secret women wear bras.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, it's tacky.

I took this picture at a business event. It was for minority- and women-owned businesses in the engineering industry in New York City. Most people, male or female, were in business attire. Hundreds of people were in the room.

How does she expect to be taken seriously? I wouldn't run to the convenience store like this!

Tacky as hell.
Tacky.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:41 PM

53,062 posts, read 52,186,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It appears the girl in the 2nd photo has a jacket on the back of her chair. Maybe the room was hot and she took it off?
Possibly, but still. This was a business event, the purpose of which is to network and make business connections. Don't take the jacket off if you're going to look trashy when you do. Hell, I don't wear a blouse for business with sleeves shorter than to my elbow because I have a tattoo on my upper arm just in case I have to take my jacket off. I know some people make judgments, and while I think they can go screw personally if they don't like my ink, it's my job to reflect favorably for my employer in my appearance.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 PM

11,743 posts, read 6,994,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, it's tacky.

I took this picture at a business event. It was for minority- and women-owned businesses in the engineering industry in New York City. Most people, male or female, were in business attire. Hundreds of people were in the room.

How does she expect to be taken seriously? I wouldn't run to the convenience store like this!

Tacky as hell.
What's "tacky as hell" is taking someone's picture for the purpose of publicly shaming them. I'm disgusted by the fact that women do such things to each other. Its such high school behavior to mock people over their attire.

Is it really even that big of a deal that women wear bras?! Who cares... It's bra straps. She took off her jacket, probably because she was hot. It looks to be a crowded room. Maybe she forgot that her bra straps showed in the back, because it's a bra and not something people are constantly thinking of. If you were really that bothered by it, why not quietly mention to her that her bra straps are showing instead of blasting her online?

Old 02-04-2019, 11:23 PM

3,450 posts, read 1,396,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
These are two different things.

The top video, with the woman in the "Hello Sailor" sweater is one thing. Kind of tacky, depending on the time and place. It's a too-tight sweater with seams of a probably very pretty bra evidence beneath.

The clueless woman above, wearing an evening gown that shows a lot of shoulder, and has clear BRA STRAPS that she can't possibly think are hidden from view, is just Walmart tacky.

There are these pretty rhinestone straps you can buy, they look like flirty jewelry, that you can replace your fabric bra straps for an evening gown like that if you need to.
I don't think that's an evening gown. I have a couple of cotton blouses with lace like that. Plus, nobody else in the picture is in evening wear.

I would wear a black bra with that top...

Old 02-05-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What's "tacky as hell" is taking someone's picture for the purpose of publicly shaming them. I'm disgusted by the fact that women do such things to each other. Its such high school behavior to mock people over their attire.

Is it really even that big of a deal that women wear bras?! Who cares... It's bra straps. She took off her jacket, probably because she was hot. It looks to be a crowded room. Maybe she forgot that her bra straps showed in the back, because it's a bra and not something people are constantly thinking of. If you were really that bothered by it, why not quietly mention to her that her bra straps are showing instead of blasting her online?
I didn't take the picture "for the purpose of publicly shaming" anyone, and no, I would never walk up to a stranger and tell them their bra straps are showing. There's no way when she got dressed in a racer-back blouse that she didn't know her bra straps would be hanging out for all to see.

I took the picture over a year ago for my own amusement, basically, and just happened to remember that I had it.

I am old enough to remember the fight women have had to put up to be taken seriously in the business world, particularly the engineering and construction world. There is still no line at the ladies room at engineering events. Young women like this don't seem to get that dressing like a sleaze is a giant step backwards.

Yes, I suppose it was tacky of me to post it. But, the subject came up and I had the photo. If she was identifiable, I wouldn't have. Besides, there were videos and cameras everywhere that day. She is likely out there on the Internet anyway and didn't much care who saw her.

I will delete it since it seems to bother some people.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-05-2019 at 07:18 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 AM

5,121 posts, read 1,794,787 times
I can't seem to see any of the pictures everyone is talking about. I'm just seeing the lady in the turtle neck.

So. Not seeing the pictures, I'll just say, once upon a time, it was tacky to go out in public without a hat and gloves on. And once upon a time, it was 'racy' to show an ankle. Now, it's de rigueur to wear plunging necklines and backless outfits to award shows. (Shrugging my shoulders.)

Old 02-05-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I can't seem to see any of the pictures everyone is talking about. I'm just seeing the lady in the turtle neck.

So. Not seeing the pictures, I'll just say, once upon a time, it was tacky to go out in public without a hat and gloves on. And once upon a time, it was 'racy' to show an ankle. Now, it's de rigueur to wear plunging necklines and backless outfits to award shows. (Shrugging my shoulders.)
I deleted the photo I'd shown because someone got upset about it.

Left a description of what it was in its place.

Yes, I think it's tacky to walk around with your underwear hanging out, particularly in a business setting. Apparently not everyone feels that way. Shrug. Nothing more to say on the subject.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM

5,121 posts, read 1,794,787 times
Again...not having seen any of the pictures...so I'm going blind...

I think I've become inured to the sight of bra straps. Especially the strappy kind. I see all kinds of girls and women wearing camis and their bra straps are showing. Maybe it's a midwest thing. And then there's the the girls running down the street in their sports bras...I guess it just doesn't raise my eye brows anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty