U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 02:04 PM

753 posts, read 275,156 times

Advertisements

Underwear isn't mean to be hanging out of your clothing, IMO. So yeah, visible bra straps are tacky. And wildly unprofessional, so a total no-no in business.

If you're wearing a super tight outfit and an ill-fitting bra so that the entire outline of the bra shows, then that's kinda tacky, too. Bras that fit properly don't show that much.Or your clothes are too tight. There's a difference between form fitting and too small, though it seems from real life that lots of young women aren't concerned about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 03:02 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,746,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Underwear isn't mean to be hanging out of your clothing, IMO. So yeah, visible bra straps are tacky. And wildly unprofessional, so a total no-no in business.

If you're wearing a super tight outfit and an ill-fitting bra so that the entire outline of the bra shows, then that's kinda tacky, too. Bras that fit properly don't show that much.Or your clothes are too tight. There's a difference between form fitting and too small, though it seems from real life that lots of young women aren't concerned about that.
I'm not too sure about that. Have you seen the tops that have been in the stores lately? Hard to find anything that isn't as thin as tissue paper and/or made of clingy t-shirt type material, unless you wear at least two layers your bra outline tends to show.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:53 PM

8,512 posts, read 7,807,590 times
Popular clothing lines such as Free People sell bralettes to be worn under shirts so they are specifically seen.

https://www.freepeople.com/bralettes...AaAnF7EALw_wcB

I wear them with one shouldered tops.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:14 AM

14,829 posts, read 30,324,757 times
OK, so I am 69 frikkin' years old, and I occasionally wear racer back tops with bra straps that show in the back. This is mostly for athletic wear, however. It's just BRA STRAPS for heaven sake. I live in Florida and this is common among all age women here. No, I would not do this for dress-up or formal wear. Better to have bra straps showing than not wearing (but needing) a bra and perhaps showing something else.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:27 AM

24,778 posts, read 31,899,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Take this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGoXHXyIY9A

Would you view it as tacky?
Yes. Tacky.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:57 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,746,883 times
Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes because the first time I watched it I didn't notice anything and wondered what the OP was talking about. Only after reading comments and staring at her chest did I even notice the bra outline and the fact that her shirt is thin enough to show...her bra showing through?

Old 02-08-2019, 12:18 PM

10,270 posts, read 7,879,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, it's tacky.

I took this picture at a business event. It was for minority- and women-owned businesses in the engineering industry in New York City. Most people, male or female, were in business attire. Hundreds of people were in the room.

How does she expect to be taken seriously? I wouldn't run to the convenience store like this!

Tacky as hell.

<deleted photo of woman wearing racer-back top with regular bra straps showing at a business event in NYC>
Whatever you think of her outfit, your behavior of taking pictures of strangers and putting them on the internet is much more questionable and offensive.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM

53,176 posts, read 52,289,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Whatever you think of her outfit, your behavior of taking pictures of strangers and putting them on the internet is much more questionable and offensive.
LOL, one picture posted on a whim is not a behavior.

Looking for reasons to be snotty and judgmental to strangers on the Internet might be, though, especially when it's repetitive.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 PM

968 posts, read 463,697 times
I don`t mind seeing bra straps, as long as they are not dirty or dingy.......but I have seen a lot that are. Bra`s are expensive, and some wear them, until they are falling apart. Now that looks tacky.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 9,704,362 times
Well, my current profile pic, i'm wearing a halter dress with black bra straps showing. Oh well. Rather that than no bra at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty