Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes because the first time I watched it I didn't notice anything and wondered what the OP was talking about. Only after reading comments and staring at her chest did I even notice the bra outline and the fact that her shirt is thin enough to show...her bra showing through?
I didn't notice at first either, and thought the woman in the video was going to call out some celebrity for showing off their bra. I was not watching a 12 minute video for that, so scrolded down to read other's comments. It's not something I would have given a second thought if I happened across the video on YouTube.

Some shirts are made of very thin material, and especially with darker colored tops it's not always obvious except for with the right (wrong?) lighting. I had that happen the other day. I was in a public bathroom washing my hands, and because of the bright, direct overhead lights I could faintly see my bra. Oops...I just kept my jacket zipped the rest of the day.

Maybe the woman didn't realize her bra was noticeable, or maybe she realized after she already finished her video and didn't want to
reshoot and edit the video, figuring it wasn't a big deal.

But hey, it got her a few more video clicks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 04:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, one picture posted on a whim is not a behavior.

Looking for reasons to be snotty and judgmental to strangers on the Internet might be, though, especially when it's repetitive.
What about when you post the same photo over and over again?

Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
It used to be scandalous for a woman to show her ankles - never mind her legs, but just her ankles! Time marches on and standards change. Who cares what particular piece of cloth that a person wears shows?

Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OK, so I am 69 frikkin' years old, and I occasionally wear racer back tops with bra straps that show in the back. This is mostly for athletic wear, however. It's just BRA STRAPS for heaven sake. I live in Florida and this is common among all age women here. No, I would not do this for dress-up or formal wear. Better to have bra straps showing than not wearing (but needing) a bra and perhaps showing something else.

Showing bra straps is no more or less tacky than showing the elastic band of my Fruit of the Looms.

Of course, no one wants to see the elastic band of my FotLs.

Surely, someone manufactures a bra for use with a racer back top.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
Take this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGoXHXyIY9A

Would you view it as tacky?

Nah, just a lethal combination of bad quality padded bras and paper-thin material that clothes are increasingly made of lately.

Courtesy of American corporations.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:11 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Who's the airhead in the OP video? I couldn't bear to watch long enough for the "tacky" part to come up.

OP, if you have to ask, than it's tacky.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who's the airhead in the OP video? I couldn't bear to watch long enough for the "tacky" part to come up.

OP, if you have to ask, than it's tacky.
Apparently the 'tacky' part is from the beginning, because the shirt is thin and you can see the outline of the woman's bra and maybe some faint, well I don't know if it's a dark bra under a lighter shirt or the shirt is so thin/tight you can see through it to the skin above the bra. I was expecting something much worse, like this. https://i.pinimg.com/236x/3c/33/41/3...sizes-bras.jpg

Old 02-09-2019, 04:25 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well, my current profile pic, i'm wearing a halter dress with black bra straps showing. Oh well. Rather that than no bra at all.
I guess that would be a matter of opinion, or the eye of the beholder.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Tacky.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:32 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Apparently the 'tacky' part is from the beginning, because the shirt is thin and you can see the outline of the woman's bra and maybe some faint, well I don't know if it's a dark bra under a lighter shirt or the shirt is so thin/tight you can see through it to the skin above the bra. I was expecting something much worse, like this. https://i.pinimg.com/236x/3c/33/41/3...sizes-bras.jpg
Oh, thank you for translating, haha. So, it's about the new see-through-ish fabrics, or clingy fabrics, that show one's underpinnings? I think generally, we're supposed to wear a camisole, or other extra layer underneath. I was hoping the extra-light fabric fashion trend would pass. I'm still waiting for it to go away.

I noticed recently, that a European designer I like to follow has come out with a see-through wool fabric for winter. What's the point of that? Super-lightweight wool? It doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty