U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:44 PM

3,389 posts, read 2,966,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Not only is this sweater offensive, but as a bearded person, I find this Gucci sweater highly offensive to men with beards.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/us/gu...ter/index.html

It is objectifying my beard, and mocking me, and daring me to take action. Do you know how many times I've heard the whispers behind my back saying "eeww what a gross beard that is, I bet it's got lots of festering bacteria in it!".

Well as a millennial, I'm taking a hard stance on this fashion issue. I will tolerate no more. So I will post online complaining about it.

#BeardsToo
Lol! Good one. Maybe you should get together with the Gucci designer. The voices in your heads can chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM

32,922 posts, read 9,718,124 times
It's not "controversial" because the perpetually-offended find fault with it.

Obviously, it's a black sweater, pulled up halfway, with red l clearly "lipsticked" lips. Those idiots need to go skiiing sometime. And the Gucci [w]ussies should stop taking direction from fools.

The only reason Gucci should've pulled that item, is because it's a stupid 900-buck sweater.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:52 PM

4,206 posts, read 6,130,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I think anyone who would actually wear something like that, will surely be punished enough just by looking like a TOTAL IDIOT.

The line between fashion and IDIOT is often hard to find.
...but in this case it's refreshingly easy, because there is no line at all.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:12 PM

6,073 posts, read 3,423,886 times
Robber chic?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 PM

28,928 posts, read 44,255,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's not "controversial" because the perpetually-offended find fault with it.

Obviously, it's a black sweater, pulled up halfway, with red l clearly "lipsticked" lips. Those idiots need to go skiiing sometime. And the Gucci [w]ussies should stop taking direction from fools.
I'm not offended by it or anything, but to be fair, it DOES resemble old-school "blackface" with the red lips and so forth... look up some videos or photos of that (from early-20th century comedy) without bias, and maybe you'll see why it reminds people of this. To deny that would be stubbornness.

That being said, it's just stupid looking in my opinion - and since I'm also allergic to wool, I'd end up with a rash on half of my face. So I'll pass, even if it were $9 instead of $900.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:31 PM

4,603 posts, read 603,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The fashion industry comes up with the weirdest ideas. You wonder, "what were they thinking?!" not only about the person who designed that (seriously??), but whoever backed the designer and decided to run with the idea and put it out there for public consumption.

I still haven't figured out how they manage to sell any of those new low-cut dresses, most of which are designed as office attire, that are basically unwearable. What happens when everyone comes out with the same bad idea? That's a LOT of money down the drain for the industry, and a waste of resources overall.
It's called being "editorial" and this kind of fashion is mostly for the runway and fashion magazines. If they are selling the sweater it'll be "cost prohibitive" for most of us folks and "gauche" for any real fashionistas. NO ONE outside the runway could possibly pull that look off without looking ridiculous AND offensive.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:01 AM

577 posts, read 236,125 times
I'll be the odd woman out here and say I think the design concept is cool. A built-in half balaclava with the advantage that it doesn't mess up your hair, get lost in the back of the closet with the odd mitten, or require you to remove your glasses when wearing. When you don't want it, you just push it down and it becomes a nice, thick collar.

https://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/balaclava

I would definitely wear it under a light coat in the winter. Would keep the neck and throat area warmer than a scarf (no gaps), and it's already attached so it's always there.

I am a machine knitter and knitwear designer by hobby, so it would be a simple matter for me to knit the garment in colors other than the apparently offensive black/red. How about navy/grey? Kelly green/white? Pink/yellow? Any of those I think would be fun.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:36 AM

1,880 posts, read 915,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
I'll be the odd woman out here and say I think the design concept is cool. A built-in half balaclava with the advantage that it doesn't mess up your hair, get lost in the back of the closet with the odd mitten, or require you to remove your glasses when wearing. When you don't want it, you just push it down and it becomes a nice, thick collar.

https://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/balaclava

I would definitely wear it under a light coat in the winter. Would keep the neck and throat area warmer than a scarf (no gaps), and it's already attached so it's always there.

I am a machine knitter and knitwear designer by hobby, so it would be a simple matter for me to knit the garment in colors other than the apparently offensive black/red. How about navy/grey? Kelly green/white? Pink/yellow? Any of those I think would be fun.

Thank you for a voice of reason. If anything is off, its the marketing. She's obviously not going to wear this to work, unless it rolls down into a cowl/turtleneck. Imagine her with a hooded jacket and goggles. Very practical for the cold.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:30 AM

4,266 posts, read 1,831,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
In other words, a turtleneck sweater.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:42 AM

40,741 posts, read 39,448,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Not only is this sweater offensive, but as a bearded person, I find this Gucci sweater highly offensive to men with beards.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/us/gu...ter/index.html

It is objectifying my beard, and mocking me, and daring me to take action. Do you know how many times I've heard the whispers behind my back saying "eeww what a gross beard that is, I bet it's got lots of festering bacteria in it!".

Well as a millennial, I'm taking a hard stance on this fashion issue. I will tolerate no more. So I will post online complaining about it.

#BeardsToo
Wow, did you miss the point of that article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty