U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 3,491 times

Advertisements

Alright, I have a long leather coat that used to be my fathers. I wear it to and from work now because it is damn cold in the winter season.

However, the thought has occurred to me, that if you wear the same jacket day to day, isn't that going to look odd without a rotation? I don't want people thinking I'm unhygienic, lol!

I think leather is a special case here, but still want to see what the general consensus is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 PM

41,179 posts, read 39,888,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Spice View Post
Alright, I have a long leather coat that used to be my fathers. I wear it to and from work now because it is damn cold in the winter season.

However, the thought has occurred to me, that if you wear the same jacket day to day, isn't that going to look odd without a rotation? I don't want people thinking I'm unhygienic, lol!

I think leather is a special case here, but still want to see what the general consensus is.
The lining is probably fabric, right? And that can retain odors.

I would worry about "funk" more than I'd worry about the clothing rotation.

Most people have one main winter coat they wear daily, but it's often a material you can wash.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:07 PM

4,903 posts, read 2,072,237 times
Honestly, I haven't seen long leather coats since The 80s/90s.

Maybe another coat altogether?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:18 PM

11,021 posts, read 19,731,142 times
You're wearing clothes under it, so as long as the clothes and your body are clean, I don't think there are hygiene problems with wearing it daily.

I also think it's fine to wear even if long leather coats aren't as popular as they used to be. Your coat has a history, it has memories for you. It's got its own distinctive style, and there's nothing wrong with that.

To keep it looking nice, use leather conditioner on it regularly. If it gets a funky smell, you can have it cleaned, but that will be expensive.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:33 AM

9,679 posts, read 4,414,289 times
I agree with Hedgehog Mom.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:34 AM

2,123 posts, read 942,271 times
I feel like most people wear the same jacket day-to-day. My jacket is on maybe 20 mins at a time. I do have a variety of jackets and I wear what the weather calls for.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:20 AM

23,507 posts, read 4,870,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You're wearing clothes under it, so as long as the clothes and your body are clean, I don't think there are hygiene problems with wearing it daily.

I also think it's fine to wear even if long leather coats aren't as popular as they used to be. Your coat has a history, it has memories for you. It's got its own distinctive style, and there's nothing wrong with that.

To keep it looking nice, use leather conditioner on it regularly. If it gets a funky smell, you can have it cleaned, but that will be expensive.

Maybe you could wear a short jacket or coat occasionally to mix it up a bit...it would be a bit tiring to
see you in the exact same thing on a daily basis.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:23 AM

20,570 posts, read 13,491,120 times
I think a good leather jacket can be worn any time the season is right. You aren’t wearing it next to your skin, so continue wearing it often with a clear conscience.

In terms of what is “done,” I think warmth is the key thing. If the coat works, wear it. Most people are probably not even looking at you; they are mainly concerned with keeping warm themselves.

I recommend taking the coat to the cleaners for cleaning and renewal at the end of winter. That way, it will be ready for wearing in late fall. I did that with my leather jacket, and they gave it back to me in like new condition.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:38 PM

75,803 posts, read 67,623,683 times
Unless it has something like a quilted or sheepskin lining, it's not going to keep you warm in winter. Leather isn't warm. It's good as a windbreaker, and in regions with mild winters, but I've seen too many guys shivering, when there's snow or frost on the gound, and they chose a leather coat or jacket, thinking they'd be looking good for an outdoor social occasion, but ended up freezing, instead.

I suppose you can wear a warm sweater under it.

I've never heard of a coat you can wash. Most people have their winter coats cleaned. And when I was a kid, most people only had one winter coat of the type one would wear to work, i.e. not casual, so there was no such thing as rotating your outerwear in winter. People would buy a coat in a neutral color that would go with most of their office attire or dress-up clothes, and use that all winter. You don't wear it all day; only going to and coming from work and social occasions, so it's unlikely to get musty.

But OP, unless you're in a job that involves physical labor, i.e. sweat, the inside of your coat getting funky shouldn't be an issue

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-28-2019 at 09:47 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 AM

25,047 posts, read 32,096,188 times
I have had two leather coats and neither was much for real warmth. One I still have as it’s a short fitted jacket that looks great. The other I took to the thrift store years ago. Leather coats can become quite dated looking... much sooner than other types of coats. 20 years and it’s time to retire it, IMHO. But a good parka...man they can look great for 20 years and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or