U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,451,788 times

Advertisements

Do you shop with a strategy? I dont mean going shopping to buy a jacket or business suite. I am talking about basic clothes, your everyday wear. Do you make plans so you minimize clothes but maximize usage?

I have several wardrobe basic coming to end of life with holes and stains or stretches out. Many of them are tshirts I use to layer. I have been noticing them since start of winter but kept saying "one more wash, one more ware, its winter no one sees clothes under all those layers". I been saying that since Dec and now Mar. So this month I plan on throwing these clothes away as I wear then and realize these are embarrassinh, it will be 1/3 of my basics if not more.

So this means I need to replenish my wardrobe and I would like to shop with some plan in mind like those youtuber or instagramer talk about get multiple use out of each items..etc... but I want to hear from real people what works for you when you are buying several piece, especially when you are buying basic everyday wear that's comfortable.

Do you go clothes shopping with a strategy in mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 11:09 AM

20,608 posts, read 13,519,166 times
If I need something, I shop for it. I don’t shop for recreation.

But often, I can’t find what I am looking for. But with tee shirts, you should be able to replace with ease.

Here is something I have learned. Wearing torn, stained clothing if you don’t have to, is not showing self respect to yourself. If circumstances force you to, I do get that. But if you can replace your worn out clothes, then I think you should. A hard lesson I have learned is that I need to refresh my clothing every season. It is easier to replace a few items every season, than to try do it all in one season.

This is my opinion.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:06 PM

I want my next wardrobe to be little more put together than my old one. Hence I didnt replace any items as they got worn out. Also trying to trim down to necessity.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:56 AM

9,697 posts, read 4,426,828 times
Sometimes I go shopping with something particular in mind but most of the time it's for fun. If I see something I love that fits well and that I will make use of I might get it even though I wasn't looking for it. A few years ago I bought 6 t-shirts from New York and Company. Within a few months they all had these tiny little holes in them and have relegated to the pajama drawer or for lawn mowing. Target actually has a nice selection of t-shirts as long as you're not petite. If you are they will look more like tunics.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I want my next wardrobe to be little more put together than my old one. Hence I didnt replace any items as they got worn out. Also trying to trim down to necessity.
It sounds like you are ready for change. Happy shopping!

Old 03-04-2019, 11:53 AM

38,639 posts, read 19,784,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Sometimes I go shopping with something particular in mind but most of the time it's for fun. If I see something I love that fits well and that I will make use of I might get it even though I wasn't looking for it. A few years ago I bought 6 t-shirts from New York and Company. Within a few months they all had these tiny little holes in them and have relegated to the pajama drawer or for lawn mowing. Target actually has a nice selection of t-shirts as long as you're not petite. If you are they will look more like tunics.
I hate shopping so I shop in the spring and the fall. The last 2 years I've pulled out my clothes for the upcoming season and donated clothes I won't wear. Then I shop online and instead of him halling I buy what I like. When I get everything in I try it on, make outfits and ship what didn't work back. I like doing it this way. Oh and I pay off the credit card in full when the bill comes due.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:00 PM

I tried online shopping and using my house as changing room until I recieved several items and NOTHING fit. It was more frustrating to sit on laptop again and find new things and return everything. i felt defeated

Old 03-04-2019, 07:46 PM

38,639 posts, read 19,784,704 times
Quote:
I tried online shopping and using my house as changing room until I recieved several items and NOTHING fit. It was more frustrating to sit on laptop again and find new things and return everything. i felt defeated
Yes that has happened with a few items but I learned to buy 2 different sizes. As long as I ship the one that doesn't fit back and pay the cc in full it has worked well for me.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Take your measurements and compare them to the size charts. Once you find a line of clothes that fits, simply compare measurements to other brandsí size charts before ordering.

If you have great places to shop locally, then I agree you should have fun shopping store to store.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM

8,625 posts, read 7,896,608 times
I only shop online. Never had a problem with stuff fitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or