Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times

Advertisements

Just curious, do women wear those knee high boots for warmth or for fashion? Do they actually keep you warm? Aren't they stiff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:56 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Here in California most women who might wear skirts to a professional environment during the summer switch to pant suits and flats or boots during the winter.
For a night on the town?

Old 03-04-2019, 05:57 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Just curious, do women wear those knee high boots for warmth or for fashion? Do they actually keep you warm? Aren't they stiff?
Both. They're no more stiff than any other kind of shoe. In fact, you have to stuff magazines in them when you're not wearing them to keep them from flopping over.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Do women still wear heels and skirts to work, in higher-profile jobs? That's tough, in rainy or very cold weather. At times like that, it's men who are able to dress more appropriately. Both genders have their challenges, in this regard.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
For a night on the town?
No, plenty of women wear pant suits to professional settings during the winter here in California.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Both. They're no more stiff than any other kind of shoe. In fact, you have to stuff magazines in them when you're not wearing them to keep them from flopping over.
But that's only for leather boots, right? Rubber knee high boots that the girls wear when it rains must be stiff and lack insulation, no?

Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
It depends on where you live and what is expected. Attorneys wear suits in court, and I think some of them wear suits every day. I suppose accountants and CEOs might wear them daily as well. Law enforcement people wear uniforms, as do ER personnel, and fast food workers. If you do construction, you will wear work clothing. In these latter examples, women wear the same things as men.

There are ways to layer up for warmth, and pare down to be cool. I don’t understand why you would feel that women have some sort of edge in this. I tended to freeze in air conditioning, myself. And often was uncomfortably cold in winter. I worked indoors.

FYI women in corporate life often have to adhere to outdated dress codes that force them to wear high heels, pantyhose, and whatever the employees’ manual defines as professional dress.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
I don't see how there can be any argument about this. It's definitely women who get the privileges of dressing for the season, unless men can get away with being very informal. The number of offices that still demand hose year-round is just about zero, and women can wear light dresses and open shoes in hot weather. For men it's solid shoes and long pants for just about any social or business occasion! Neckties are becoming somewhat optional, though. In winter, women switch to pants and fur-lined boots, not a common male item. And are long puffy coats made for men? You don't see them much, anyway.

On the other hand, it's true that if a man has to wear a suit or a sport jacket, he doesn't need a wardrobe full of them. Whereas a woman has to entertain the world with an endless variety of outfits and accessories! Of course many women enjoy doing exactly that, but it's not exactly optional.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:55 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
But that's only for leather boots, right? Rubber knee high boots that the girls wear when it rains must be stiff and lack insulation, no?
Leather boots are quite flexible and warm. I wear mine with dresses and skirts quite often from the fall through the spring.

Both the rubber boots that I wear for outdoor work and leisure activities and my nicer rain boots are also rather flexible and warm, although my work boots are Thinsulate-lined as opposed to felt-lined like my rain boots so the former are warmer by design.

When it is slushy and cold outside, many women (including me) *and* men will wear snow boots to get to and from public transportation or their cars, then change into nicer footwear for the day once they get to work. Most of the men who I see wearing suits around here usually wear an overcoat of some sort during the fall and winter if not thin and light Under Amour-type garments underneath their suits as well.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:40 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What the #$%^? Since when are grown men REQUIRED to wear anything they don't want to wear? How one dresses is 100% choice. No one holds a gun to a man's head and makes him wear a suit...anywhere.

Instead of blaming "society," why don't these grown men grow the balls to exercise their power of personal choice?

Notwithstanding the premise of this thread, which I disagree with, someone's never heard of...gasp!...dress codes.

Yes, America, there are still workplaces with established dress codes, where men (AND women, BTW) are required to dress professionally, and are not allowed to wear certain things. Even where there aren't dress codes, comportment and the capacity in which one works dictate attire. (Let us know when you see a male attorney in court not wearing a suit, or a female attorney wearing a halter top.)

So much for "anywhere." And it has nada to do with "growing balls."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty