U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:00 PM

1,223 posts, read 374,841 times

Advertisements

Seems so. Men have to wear suits to job interviews, weddings, etc. even in the heat of the summer, while women can wear short-sleeved blouses, knee-length skirts, and sandals to most professional/formal events. And if indoor A/C ever gets too cold, women can wear leggings under their skirts, or wear a longer skirt.

And then during the winter, men still have to wear exactly the same suit they'd always wear in other seasons. Unless it's super-cold, men can't wear trench coats and boots. But women can wear pantsuits, trench coats, and knee-length leather boots in any occasion.

Of course, men in Dubai can wear long, white, breezy robes and sandals to business meetings and weddings, no problem! And Scotsmen wear skirts to weddings. But otherwise, you just have to bear the heat and cold because you have no option but a suit.

I certainly am NOT advocating for cross-dressing or anything but for whatever reason men can't just get away with a short-sleeved polo and lighter-colored khaki pants even during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 08:22 PM

2,470 posts, read 1,735,169 times
Society in this day and age seems to be completely against men and their wellbeing.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:36 PM

331 posts, read 92,682 times
Suits are made of different materials for the different seasons

Old 03-02-2019, 08:40 PM

35,149 posts, read 53,752,429 times
Nah. Some young women want to be rather fashionable than warm...
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 PM

355 posts, read 97,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Society in this day and age seems to be completely against men and their wellbeing.
And here we go.....

Old 03-03-2019, 12:49 AM

5,810 posts, read 3,135,937 times
I mean... not all men wear suits for their work, dude. I wear sweaters, jeans and t shirt. And thats just work. What about leisure time and other?

Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 AM

215 posts, read 34,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I mean... not all men wear suits for their work, dude. I wear sweaters, jeans and t shirt. And thats just work. What about leisure time and other?
I remember reading some advice on travelling to Far North Queensland that only lawyers and used car salesmen wear suits and ties. So yes I think the whole suit and tie thing is a leftover from Eurocentric colonial days.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:20 AM

6,317 posts, read 7,638,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Seems so. Men have to wear suits to job interviews, weddings, etc. even in the heat of the summer, while women can wear short-sleeved blouses, knee-length skirts, and sandals to most professional/formal events. And if indoor A/C ever gets too cold, women can wear leggings under their skirts, or wear a longer skirt.

And then during the winter, men still have to wear exactly the same suit they'd always wear in other seasons. Unless it's super-cold, men can't wear trench coats and boots. But women can wear pantsuits, trench coats, and knee-length leather boots in any occasion.

Of course, men in Dubai can wear long, white, breezy robes and sandals to business meetings and weddings, no problem! And Scotsmen wear skirts to weddings. But otherwise, you just have to bear the heat and cold because you have no option but a suit.

I certainly am NOT advocating for cross-dressing or anything but for whatever reason men can't just get away with a short-sleeved polo and lighter-colored khaki pants even during the summer.
I've never seen a Scotsman in a skirt. It's a kilt, man! And while you may envy him in the Summer, imagine when the Winter winds blow!

And have you never been to a wedding? Men in tuxedos and suits are soon tieless, coatless with rolled-up sleeves.

Cold. Winter. Going to work in a suit and a top coat. Snow falling. Put on your boots and carry your shoes along in a bag. Warm and toasty on the subway platform. At work, in an office, remove top coat, change boots for shoes. Where's the problem?

For your comfort, a move to Dubai would be okay, but don't move to Scotland for you would surely be "kilt"!

Old 03-03-2019, 10:23 AM

10,398 posts, read 7,959,030 times
What the #$%^? Since when are grown men REQUIRED to wear anything they don't want to wear? How one dresses is 100% choice. No one holds a gun to a man's head and makes him wear a suit...anywhere.

Instead of blaming "society," why don't these grown men grow the balls to exercise their power of personal choice?

Old 03-03-2019, 11:04 AM

353 posts, read 120,266 times
I don't think this is all that true for cold weather. I work in the most white collar city in the country perhaps, and it also has a cold winter where temps in the 30s during rush hour are common enough between December and March.

Of the perhaps 25% of men I see who seem to need to wear a suit to work every day, I'd say most cope okay in winter. I don't need to wear a suit every day but when I do...a wool overcoat, scarf, beanie and gloves do the job. All of that works with formal work wear.

Yes, you'd run into trouble if it gets down toward temps in the single digits or below, but then again how much time outdoors do you really spend in those jobs. It's either the way to and from the garage at home and at work or the way to and from the train station. If it was any more than 10 minutes you'd just wear a real cold weather coat over the other stuff. You can take it off, leave it in the car or in a coat closet at work.

Hot, humid weather? Yes, I think it's a problem with formal wear for both men and women. People may want to bring a spare set of clothes if they have to spend any extended time outdoors in summer and then have a really important work thing where they need to be on point appearance-wise. I personally will just try to minimize my exposure in such situations and do door-to-door Uber.

I don't know if women are necessarily easier off here though, most places that won't allow for men to switch to more laid back summer clothing also won't like it when women come in wearing halter tops and shorts or short dresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or