U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 02:26 PM

2,812 posts, read 1,417,025 times

Advertisements

The 3 you mention are mass market brands available in every outlet mall in the world. Polo, Vineyard Vines and Brooks and more upscale and better quality IMO. Tommy, Izod or Nautica just don't and most likely never will have the same cache.

Parent company of Nautica ABG brands:

ABGís global portfolio includes Marilyn Monroe, Mini Marilyn, Elvis Presley, Muhammad Ali, Shaquille O'Neal, Dr. J, Greg Norman, Neil Lane, Thalia, Michael Jackson (managed brand), Nautica, Aťropostale, Juicy Couture, Jones New York, Herve Leger, Judith Leiber, Frederick's of Hollywood, Frye, Adrienne Vittadini, Taryn Rose, Misook, Hickey Freeman, Hart Schaffner Marx, Spyder, Tretorn, Tapout, Prince, Airwalk, Vision Street Wear, Above The Rim, and Hind.

Parent of Tommy and Izod:

Van Heusen, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, IZOD, Arrow, Warner's, Olga, True & Co., and Geoffrey Beene. The company also licenses brands such as BCBG Max Azria, Chaps, Sean John, Kenneth Cole New York, JOE Joseph Abboud, Michael Kors, and Speedo (the latter under an exclusive perpetual license from Speedo International for the North American market).

As you can see both are massive companies with lots of brands whereas Polo controls their distribution and only sells Polo and related brands like Ralph Lauren, Vineyard Vines is a private company only selling their products and Brooks is also a private company selling Brooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 02:42 PM

18,118 posts, read 22,535,028 times
It seems that there will always be people who idolize "preps". It isn't only about money, it's about an easy confidence that can't be bought by wearing a shirt with a popped color and a little alligator applique.

There always will be an East Egg and a West Egg. Daisys and Gatsbys. And, it's not about money.

If people are attracted to that style of clothes, that's fine. Just study it, and do it right.

Know that Nautica is an upstart brand that mass produces mid level comforters for guest rooms and college dorms, and there is nothing preppy sold at JC Penny.

Try Brooks Brothers https://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/de...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or Vineyard Vines.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:56 PM

4,974 posts, read 7,567,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
As you can see both are massive companies with lots of brands whereas Polo controls their distribution and only sells Polo and related brands like Ralph Lauren, Vineyard Vines is a private company only selling their products and Brooks is also a private company selling Brooks.
Well, Ralph Lauren does own Chaps, which is their competitor to IZOD.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:47 PM

18,118 posts, read 22,535,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, Ralph Lauren does own Chaps, which is their competitor to IZOD.
Chaps is LOW END Ralph Lauren. Cheap Ralph Lauren. It is not preppy. It's not even upper middle class.

Jazz, why don't you check out the link I provided to Brooks Brothers and the many other brands that people have mentioned? Perhaps read the book I recommended "The Preppy Handbook" - even if it hasn't been updated, it still rings true. It's a tongue and cheek book, very funny; actually, but I suppose if you want, you could use it as a kind of guide book, if you want.

It will give you a list of places that you may want to visit, to observe actual preppy clothes on real life people.

Parting advice - actual preps don't think about clothes very much at all.

Incidentally, why DO you capitalize "Izod" every time you type it? I've really been wondering about that.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:57 PM

4,974 posts, read 7,567,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Chaps is LOW END Ralph Lauren. Cheap Ralph Lauren. It is not preppy. It's not even upper middle class.

Jazz, why don't you check out the link I provided to Brooks Brothers and the many other brands that people have mentioned? Perhaps read the book I recommended "The Preppy Handbook" - even if it hasn't been updated, it still rings true. It's a tongue and cheek book, very funny; actually, but I suppose if you want, you could use it as a kind of guide book, if you want.

It will give you a list of places that you may want to visit, to observe actual preppy clothes on real life people.

Parting advice - actual preps don't think about clothes very much at all.

Incidentally, why DO you capitalize "Izod" every time you type it? I've really been wondering about that.
Chaps is not a low-end brand; low end brands are Hanes and Fruit of the Loom; Chaps is not in the same class, otherwise it would be sold at Walmart.

As for capitalizing IZOD, that is the way IZOD is properly capitalized.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:37 PM

17,341 posts, read 18,830,083 times
Quote:
I have seen past threads in these forums, and many users don't consider Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, or IZOD to be preppy brands. I wonder why? While they are somewhat less popular among the preppy crowd than Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, or Vineyard Vines, their styles are somewhat similar. I previously asked whether or not Tommy Hilfiger is a preppy brand, and most responses were no.

Tommy Hilfiger mostly is in the Classic Preppy category as far as style goes.

Nautica is in the Nautical Preppy category.

IZOD spans multiple preppy categories, from Classic (Premium Essentials), Nautical (Saltwater Collection), and Performance (Advantage and Golf).

So why aren't these brands considered preppy?
Because it isnít the 80/90s

Old 03-07-2019, 09:48 PM

364 posts, read 75,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Real preppy people have and will ALWAYS dress that way. For them, it isn't a trend. They have no trends.
Preppy as a revived style or trend....which is worn by lots more people than just real "prep students".....

Old 03-07-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Because it isnít the 80/90s
Lol...ita

Old 03-07-2019, 11:40 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,060,143 times
Quote:
Chaps is not a low-end brand; low end brands are Hanes and Fruit of the Loom; Chaps is not in the same class, otherwise it would be sold at Walmart.

As for capitalizing IZOD, that is the way IZOD is properly capitalized.
Chaps brand = no one wears.

Izod= equivalent of mom jeans.

For the 9000th time, none of the brands you start threads on are popular brands nor are they preppy. I know you wish they were...

Preppy went out in 1989 & please don't quote the earnings newsletter from corporate. In the real world, no one shops for specifically Chaps or IZOD. No one.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Chaps brand = no one wears.

Izod= equivalent of mom jeans.

For the 9000th time, none of the brands you start threads on people give 2 craps about nor are they preppy. Preppy went out in 1989 & please don't quote the earnings newsletter from corporate. In the real world, no one shops for specifically Chaps or IZOD.
Preppy is a revamped style...it's just different than the preppy that is old brands & I think everyone is mixing it up with that

& ita about Chaps & Izod Lol

Last edited by TashaPosh; Yesterday at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty