U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2019, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
23,818 posts, read 4,901,083 times
Reputation: 27762

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I am the perfect age to remember - 62 - when we started wearing stockings with garter belts, in elementary school, and then miniskirts came out. And the question on everyone's lips was "Can you see the tops of my stockings?" Lasted for a few months before panty hose came out, problem solved.




BTW, if pantyhose weren't invented until the 60's, what is it that Ginger Rogers and other female dancers were wearing in the movie musicals of the 1940's, when they would twirl around and no garter belts or thigh-highs were visible? And why weren't those garments available to the general public?


They likely were some kind of nude tights...like ballet dancers wear pink ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 AM
 
5,412 posts, read 1,917,591 times
Reputation: 12722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If I have to wear a dress, I wear hose. I canít wear shoes without socks or hose, and I feel undressed without hose.

Luckily, I am old enough that I can wear fancy pants for dress occasions. And trouser socks...

Same for me. I'm just not comfortable with letting "everything hang out". However, it doesn't ALWAYS have to be panyhose for me...like, in the summer, I'll wear a pair of bike shorts under a dress or skirt, and wear sandals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
33,233 posts, read 9,860,245 times
Reputation: 31506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If I have to wear a dress, I wear hose. I canít wear shoes without socks or hose, and I feel undressed without hose.

.....
Same here. I'd feel as if I'm missing something with bare feet in dress shoes and, for me, it looks unfinished. I get lightweight ones, and they're very comfortable. And though I have long legs, I've never had them sag or drop below the crotch.

Spray (or natural) tan is not for me. I have pale skin, and like it. I have to say, though, I DO remember the days when an entire half-floor seemed to be devoted to hose. Not anymore lol. However, I still see a selection of tights of varying weights and patterns. I'm thankful for that because I often wear tights in the fall/winter with skirts and dresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,137 posts, read 10,980,711 times
Reputation: 29865
Tights in cool weather, bare legs in hot weather. No more panty hose ever. And no spray tan either. Yes, my legs are very white and no, I don't care.

I'm in my 50s and some women in my age group and older still wear hose, but I won't be one of them.

Interestingly, as a sign of how much things have changed, even Meghan Markle has been going bare legged much of the time, which is a huge change in the Royal Family. Kate Middleton accepted that rule from the start and always wears hose with a dress, but I would guess for Meghan, it was too hard to change habits of many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,604 posts, read 13,511,634 times
Reputation: 28003
When I stopped wearing skirts, I stopped wearing pantyhose, and I certainly donít miss doing so.

If I were to buy a skirt, Iíd either go bare legged or wear tights, depending on the weather.

If I had to appear somewhere in a dressy dressóhighly unlikelyóIíd find black pantyhose to wear. But I canít imagine a scenario where Iíd need a dressy dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 02:39 PM
 
1,203 posts, read 381,997 times
Reputation: 3155
I don't wear skirts that often but I'm wearing a dress to a fancy wedding tomorrow. I live in the cold Midwest so my legs, although they're nicely-shaped, are winter-white so there are a few veins showing here and there- not very pretty. I AM wearing panty hose. They'll even out the skin tone. Can't believe what they cost now.

I remember the Bad Old Days of full office dress; once I had really bad poison ivy but I wore skirts and panty hose which, of course, stuck to all the poison ivy lesions and made removal at night really messy. So glad those days are over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 03:04 PM
 
19,535 posts, read 12,786,751 times
Reputation: 13266
Many offices (mine included) long have given up requiring hose (stockings and garters, panty hose or whatever) as part of female dress code.


Late as the 1990's however many places frowned upon if not outright banned bare legs on females, but times have changed.


Maybe it has to do with casual Fridays. That and or the incredible and bewildering array of federal and local anti-discrimination laws that an employer can run afoul of without even thinking.


In general one sees things are far more relaxed these days and that goes for both men and females. While many men have stopped wearing ties both at office and or otherwise, females are dropping wearing hosiery for reasons of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 04:29 PM
 
3,439 posts, read 1,438,697 times
Reputation: 6857
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Many offices (mine included) long have given up requiring hose (stockings and garters, panty hose or whatever) as part of female dress code.


Late as the 1990's however many places frowned upon if not outright banned bare legs on females, but times have changed.


Maybe it has to do with casual Fridays. That and or the incredible and bewildering array of federal and local anti-discrimination laws that an employer can run afoul of without even thinking.


In general one sees things are far more relaxed these days and that goes for both men and females. While many men have stopped wearing ties both at office and or otherwise, females are dropping wearing hosiery for reasons of their own.
Iím from Florida and most places stopped requiring pantyhose in the late Ď90s, even in formal fields like the law. You can absolutely go to court and no one thinks twice about needing to wear hose with a skirt suit, and it has been that way for at least 10-15 years. When the heat index is well over 100, there is just no benefit to wearing something like pantyhose that is going to cause you to sweat even more. My mom is 72 and I donít know the last time she wore pantyhose. She can barely handle any sort of socks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 06:16 PM
 
19,535 posts, read 12,786,751 times
Reputation: 13266
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Iím from Florida and most places stopped requiring pantyhose in the late Ď90s, even in formal fields like the law. You can absolutely go to court and no one thinks twice about needing to wear hose with a skirt suit, and it has been that way for at least 10-15 years. When the heat index is well over 100, there is just no benefit to wearing something like pantyhose that is going to cause you to sweat even more. My mom is 72 and I donít know the last time she wore pantyhose. She can barely handle any sort of socks.

Can see in Florida or anywhere in the south. But here in NYC at least places one worked late 1990's females still weren't allowed to go bare legged. Then again this was in finance/law where things were slightly more conservative.


Obviously cannot speak for every employer in the city, but just going on one's own experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,137 posts, read 10,980,711 times
Reputation: 29865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Can see in Florida or anywhere in the south. But here in NYC at least places one worked late 1990's females still weren't allowed to go bare legged. Then again this was in finance/law where things were slightly more conservative.


Obviously cannot speak for every employer in the city, but just going on one's own experiences.
Females?
Attached Thumbnails
Panty Hose-80773907.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top