Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 07:06 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Can see in Florida or anywhere in the south. But here in NYC at least places one worked late 1990's females still weren't allowed to go bare legged. Then again this was in finance/law where things were slightly more conservative.

Obviously cannot speak for every employer in the city, but just going on one's own experiences.
Yes, the year 2000 was the “dividing” line....my work place “relaxed” the rules that year, as did most,
it was around that time the fashionistas of the day started their campaign to demonize pantyhose
as only being only for grannies...ignoring that for the previous three decades almost all women wore them,
including young sexy super-models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 08:25 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I am the perfect age to remember - 62 - when we started wearing stockings with garter belts, in elementary school, and then miniskirts came out. And the question on everyone's lips was "Can you see the tops of my stockings?" Lasted for a few months before panty hose came out, problem solved.

BTW, if pantyhose weren't invented until the 60's, what is it that Ginger Rogers and other female dancers were wearing in the movie musicals of the 1940's, when they would twirl around and no garter belts or thigh-highs were visible? And why weren't those garments available to the general public?
It was 1959.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...hose-33062523/

I wonder if Ginger and the other women wore leg makeup?

Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It was 1959.

Tights have been around for centuries.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
No one here wears panty hose, and no spray tans either.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-08-2019, 08:52 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Panty hose.

Shudder.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:26 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It was 1959.

You’re right it was 1959.

Interestingly, took almost a decade to become popular....late 60s....
Due to when the mini-skirt came in and stockings tops could sometimes be visible

Most women in north america abandonned them circa 1999/2000 ...but pantyhose
are still popular in parts of europe and Japan.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:49 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Plenty of women still wear pantyhose. Nowadays it's worn mostly for formal/serious dress occasions like elegant evening events, job interviews, important business functions, funerals, weddings, etc.
Such as whom? I work in Alaska and even there women avoid them like the plague. They wear tights or leggings. Dresses are not as common as they used to be. In Texas, women don't wear them because it's too hot. We go bare legged or wear pants. Maybe older women wear them but they are definitely not a thing anymore, at least in those two states.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Plenty of women still wear pantyhose. Nowadays it's worn mostly for formal/serious dress occasions like elegant evening events, job interviews, important business functions, funerals, weddings, etc.

True.

And skirts and dresses aren't just for weddings and funerals.

Just as all women don't chop off their hair at 40, whether or not they're wearing PH, there are plenty of women who don't stop wearing skirts and dresses as they age.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:17 AM

364 posts, read 213,782 times
I have fond memories of peeling off Ms. gamboolgals pantyhose.....just saying.....afew decades ago in steamed up windows....

Nowadays she does not wear them as much, but she's still got the legs for them......and I still enjoy .....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....

gamboolman

Old 03-09-2019, 11:34 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I am the perfect age to remember - 62 - when we started wearing stockings with garter belts, in elementary school, and then miniskirts came out. And the question on everyone's lips was "Can you see the tops of my stockings?" Lasted for a few months before panty hose came out, problem solved.

BTW, if pantyhose weren't invented until the 60's, what is it that Ginger Rogers and other female dancers were wearing in the movie musicals of the 1940's, when they would twirl around and no garter belts or thigh-highs were visible? And why weren't those garments available to the general public?
They wore garters but they were attached to the bottom of the panty so you wouldn't see it with Ginger Rogers where her skirt was long and when it swirled you never saw her panties. Other dancers who wore short skirts or leotards wore either nude or fishnet tights. Pantyhose were invented in 1959.

To OP's question, very few women wear pantyhose any more unless required or an older woman or you are a member of the royal family. Tights are more apt to be worn by teens and 20 yo girls than hose, but mostly bare legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty