U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,286,096 times

Advertisements

I just discovered, (honest *****') that no one wears panty hose anymore. Spray Tan it is.

true or false?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

8,767 posts, read 4,414,439 times
Other than my mother's funeral, I haven't worn pantyhose since the 90's. No spray tan either. I have pale legs and I'm okay with that. If anyone doesn't like it, that's their problem.

Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

22,942 posts, read 4,791,322 times
No p.h. and definitely NO spray tan....!!!

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

11,694 posts, read 19,939,333 times
If I have to wear a dress, I wear hose. I can’t wear shoes without socks or hose, and I feel undressed without hose.

Luckily, I am old enough that I can wear fancy pants for dress occasions. And trouser socks...

Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

22,942 posts, read 4,791,322 times
We all remember the times when the evil pantyhose/crotch slipped down your legs...you couldn't wait to pull them up.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

13,051 posts, read 20,319,737 times
I'd say that's true. I remember when department stores used to have a decent amount of space devoted to hosiery. Good luck even finding a small rack of it these days. I needed some black hose to wear to a funeral about 5 years back(winter in New England, I wasn't going bare-legged) I couldn't find any, even at Macy's.

Almost 30 years ago, I worked full time, and dresses with panty hose was required. I bought them by the dozen. I still have 2 unopened packs.

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

396 posts, read 115,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
We all remember the times when the evil pantyhose/crotch slipped down your legs...you couldn't wait to pull them up.
The above is why I went over to stockings with garters back in the days before they made hosiery for tall and long-legged ladies like me. Thigh highs always had a tendency to roll down my legs, so garters were perfect. I had to have my mother show me how to wear them properly, though. (She was a young woman back in the days before pantyhose. Properly dressed women of all sizes, i.e., dressed to go out, generally wore girdles with stockings--and, during "that time" a napkin belt in addition to the required undergarments. Oy.)

I still wear and buy hosiery, but it's never nude and usually has a subtle pattern of some sort. I prefer to wear tights over pantyhose, but some outfits call for a lighter denier than that of tights. Wearing hosiery (at least in cooler months), makes me feel as though my outfit is more complete and polished.

Nordstrom carries a nice variety of high-quality stockings, but they don't come cheap at around thirty dollars a pair.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; Yesterday at 05:47 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

5,840 posts, read 4,685,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If I have to wear a dress, I wear hose. I canít wear shoes without socks or hose, and I feel undressed without hose.

Luckily, I am old enough that I can wear fancy pants for dress occasions. And trouser socks...
i'm the same way. I haven't worn a dress in years but i keep a pair or two of panty hose around just for that.

I went to my BILs office one day and the women working there were wearing skirts/dresses without hose. Sorry ladies, it just looked so - just not right. Just wear pants.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

4,319 posts, read 3,142,213 times
Plenty of women still wear pantyhose. Nowadays it's worn mostly for formal/serious dress occasions like elegant evening events, job interviews, important business functions, funerals, weddings, etc.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

2,114 posts, read 765,482 times
pantyhose secret: take the torn and ripped and unused ones:
"ball them up" to make an excellent shoe polisher.
so...we like PH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty