U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM

425 posts, read 180,152 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who cries, struggles and diets and spirals into depressions because of her weight and her battle with her addiction. Obesity is unhealthy but none of these people want to be this way. There is a whole section on this forum on diet and weight loss. People struggle with this.

I remember walking in on a fitness competitor sitting in the locker room crying because she just ate a bag of cookies and threw up. She was a bulimic and could not stop binging. She admitted that could not stop overeating. That was years ago. I don't know if she ever resolved that issue. Yet she was admired and held to high standards for her fit body and looking good.

No one said anything about skimpy clothes. Even fit people can look trampy in skimpy clothes. Every person should be treated with dignity.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 AM

10,644 posts, read 8,102,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
it's promoting an unhealthy lifestyle.
How is it promotion vs just an acknowledgement of the existence of different sized bodies.

In the real world, bodies will be different. Unless you know someone's lab numbers, you can't assess health by looking at the size of a person's body. Do any of those smaller people have diabetes? Depression?

Are you saying than anyone above a size 4 shouldn't be acknowledged in public?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 AM

21,537 posts, read 22,737,979 times
Quote:
Being in a wheelchair, having a prosthetic leg or wearing a burqa are not promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. It's different.

Fat is not = disabilities or clothing due to religious observances.
Fat is = drinking, drugs, smoking = unhealthy choices that can kill you.

We shouldn't be promoting that.
Clearly you are unaware of how many fashion models achieve/maintain their weight; and how many young women end up with eating disorders attempting to achieve unrealistic examples of acceptable body types.

Alcohol is advertised.

Restaurants that serve unhealthy foods are advertised.

High risk sports and other activities can kill you too. Are you recommending we stop glamorizing/promoting those?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM

8,605 posts, read 12,970,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Oh, really? I've been enjoying life at that size for about 30 years now. Given that my grandmother, who was larger than me, lived her entire life at 250+ pounds and died at age 89 and my father, who's also larger than me, is still ticking and in reasonably decent health at age 84, I don't expect to keel over any time soon. And shockingly, I travel both domestically and internationally, go hiking and swimming whenever I get the chance, and work out at my local gym at least 3 times a week.

Life doesn't stop just because a person is plus-sized.
There are some things plus size people cannot do, thus life can be less enjoyable for them. Things have weight limits.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 AM

6,896 posts, read 3,894,262 times
Quote:
if we're going to show fat people in ads, why don't we just show people smoking or doing drugs or drinking?
We do show people drinking in ads for alcohol. Illegal drugs and cigarettes are not advertised, but we do show people using both in movies and TV shows.

Quote:
No, it's promoting the sale of clothing. Something that everyone, regardless of their body size, occasionally needs to buy.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM

8,605 posts, read 12,970,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Clearly you are unaware of how many fashion models achieve/maintain their weight.

Alcohol is advertised.

Restaurants that serve unhealthy foods are advertised.

High risk sports and other activities can kill you too. Are you recommending we stop glamorizing/promoting those?
yes, they are dangerous. None of that stuff should be shown. We know it exists and if you want to partake, partake, but it shouldn't be promoted publicly in the way it is.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:54 AM

6,896 posts, read 3,894,262 times
Quote:
There are some things plus size people cannot do, thus life can be less enjoyable for them. Things have weight limits.
Everyone, whatever their size, has physical limitations of some sort. You learn to enjoy and take pleasure in the things you CAN do.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM

10,568 posts, read 9,861,636 times
Having models who aren't thin isn't promoting an unhealthy lifestyle, it's stating a fact - the American woman is not rail thin. Get used to it people.

Also, nothing worse than former overweight/obese people getting on their high horses. It's nice that you dieted your way down to your desired weight. More power to you. Be content with yourself instead of getting "turned off" by seeing overweight models. I went from a size 18 to an 8 and have kept the weight off for several years now, but I'm not about to preach to people about weight loss and being thin. People are keenly aware of what they need to do. Personally, I don't give a F about a model's size.

In fact, I am happier that there are larger models because far too many overweight and especially obese people dress in frumpy clothing, which drains on their confidence. That in turn makes them feel unattractive. Regardless of size, you should wear clothes that make you look and feel good. You should feel great buying clothes regardless if you are a 16 or a 6. Why should you have a shopping spree only when you've dieted your way to a 6? BS! With larger models, women can see nice clothes on people that look like them. It's called smart marketing.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 AM

1,676 posts, read 682,389 times
Quote:
Weight isn't the only indication of an unhealthy lifestyle. Imagine someone who is a size 16 but eats healthy, works out daily, has great blood pressure, cholesterol numbers, sugar count and compare that to a size 4 bulimic who binges and purges and tell me who is healthy. Do you realize probably 80% of the big time models binged and purged sometime in their career to meet some unhealthy expectation. Yes, morbidly obese is unhealthy but being a size 16 is not necessarily so if every other thing they do is healthy, as in they don't smoke, do drugs, they exercise, they go out and enjoy life (secluding yourself from life leads to depression which today is a big killer), and drink moderately or not at all. You can be thin and unhealthy.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM

21,537 posts, read 22,737,979 times
Quote:
yes, they are dangerous. None of that stuff should be shown. We know it exists and if you want to partake, partake, but it shouldn't be promoted publicly in the way it is.
So no football, NASCAR, skiing, surfing, diving, horseracing....

Perhaps we should all sit in padded rooms eating nothing but salads.

Feel free. I'll choose to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.