Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,363,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's fine to love oneself but by society continually telling fat people they are beautiful and that it's ok, isn't giving them an incentive to lose weight.

Not trying to be insensitive but sometimes people need to just be told the truth in order to make a change. Fat is not attractive ever.
You are tying weight loss, and the desire to lose weight, to merely being a vanity exercise. I didn't lose weight to tell myself that I was "beautiful". You, especially being some random stranger, calling me fat would do jack and ****. Likewise, I don't care if a man or woman who I do not know finds me attractive. At 43 years old and doing well for myself, I'm at the point in life when I don't have many Fs to give.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:49 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,363,064 times
Quote:
I think if people have harmful negative traits about themselves, they need to be told. Some people just need a dose of tough love.

If it's silly stuff, no, but something detrimental to one's health or mental state, absolutely tell them.

This is why the people on those "600lb life" shows remain fat. They always have family members enabling them
I love it that overweight people especially need unwarranted "tough love" from randoms, as if it's some sort of public service.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:53 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,942,819 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So no football, NASCAR, skiing, surfing, diving, horseracing....
The people doing those are professionals and wear protective gear and have years and years of training.Quite different.
I've done at least three of those and I hardly qualify as professional or have years of training, though I will fess up to wearing the proper gear.

Quote:
It's fine to love oneself but by society continually telling fat people they are beautiful and that it's ok, isn't giving them an incentive to lose weight.
Not trying to be insensitive but sometimes people need to just be told the truth in order to make a change. Fat is not attractive ever.
They already know the truth, it's not a secret to them that their health is affected, or that other people often find them unattractive or worse. The only incentive they need has to come from within, when they are ready. Not from you or anybody else who thinks you're doing them a favor by being 'insensitive'.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,354,751 times
Not everyone has their complete self worth wrapped up in their weight.

Many have actual accomplishments.

Shocking I know.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,418,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I love it that overweight people especially need unwarranted "tough love" from randoms, as if it's some sort of public service.
People talk about health because they are ashamed to admit that they just don't like fat people.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:09 PM

6,605 posts, read 4,823,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Wait. You're against self esteem and self worth? People can't love themselves even in the process of changing?

Yeah, the folks behind the ad are trying to make money. That's why they are in business. Since when do we require Target to care about our health?
Body image isn't the same as self-esteem. Nor is not having a positive body image the same as feeling ugly. Some of us have mixed feelings. Also, many overweight people have some nice physical features.

Target and other companies (for example, Dove) act like they're on the side of overweight people. "We go out of our way to make products to make you look and feel attractive, you're just as good as thin people." But it's a thinly-veiled lie.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,354,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Body image isn't the same as self-esteem. Nor is not having a positive body image the same as feeling ugly. Some of us have mixed feelings. Also, many overweight people have some nice physical features.

Target and other companies (for example, Dove) act like they're on the side of overweight people. "We go out of our way to make products to make you look and feel attractive, you're just as good as thin people." But it's a thinly-veiled lie.
So you're saying overweight people are not "just as good as" thin people.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:13 PM

6,605 posts, read 4,823,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People talk about health because they are ashamed to admit that they just don't like fat people.
I'm not ashamed to not like looking at very overweight people (especially if they're wearing little or no clothing). But there are plenty of things I don't like looking at that I consider more justifiable in prominent advertising than that. "My poor eyes" is a weak argument.

11,157 posts, read 13,935,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Healthy weight has to be defined somehow. I'm aware that BMI doesn't take every factor into account, and that many people think it standardizes being unrealistically thin*. However, apparently many of those same people are of the opinion that whatever is most prevalent in our society, i.e. obesity, is therefore by definition healthy and normal. If we're going to err, I'd rather advertisements and the like erred on the side of promoting slimness. Or, if you like, average-ness, but not averageness as defined by the "average" (overweight) American. You and I can disagree about that, of course.

Though I have no idea what you mean by "lured."

*For my height, 5'6", the "normal" range is 115-154 lbs. That gives quite a bit of leeway for various body types, actually.
Does it? If one’s vitals are all within a healthy range isn’t that good enough?

And I don’t know where you’re getting this claim about people being the same ones who think prevelant equates to healthy. Most of the places I’ve encountered the argument that BMI is utterly worthless has been within the fitness community. If you’re going to voice “concern” about health, it would help for you to at least not blow your credibility outright by citing something like BMI. It’s a metric that tells you absolutely nothing about the person. Using BFP is a far better metric.

Lastly that should have been “outed” but I didn’t notice it auto-corrected.

13,395 posts, read 13,418,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

No, no, no. People understand that Target is trying to sell them stuff. They are grateful to be acknowledged. They don't require Target to tell them how to feel about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty