Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 10:53 AM

383 posts, read 391,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
The marketing aspect - with the increase of obesity, there is an overwhelming opportunity for profit in clothing lines. In the past, clothing options were limited and obese or overweight people were not a target audience. Now there is a large target audience.
Yes, I know. There are so many thoughts I wish I could expand right now but can't. However, no one is really answering the posed question:

Is it appealing to you as a buyer?

Why are we not seeing overweight men? I'm not just singling out Target - this is across the industry.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I will say that when I was a size 24W, I had to sew my own clothing. So at least stylish clothing is now available to the larger person. I have always wondered, back 20-25 years ago, why someone wasn't tapping the plus size market. Money to be made.

I do find it strange that there are few, if any, large male models.

I do find concern about the obesity problem we have in America. Causing so many health issues, disability, etc.
Bingo. And are corporations promoting this lifestyle? Are they achieving their goal? It's no secret the clothing industry has been struggling a lot in recent years. Will this help them or hurt them? (Everyone is not overweight, so are they running off the skinny, petite person?) I personally find it troubling that they are promoting something so negative for one's health - much as the starved heroine addict models of the early 90's.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Yes, I know. There are so many thoughts I wish I could expand right now but can't. However, no one is really answering the posed question:

Is it appealing to you as a buyer?

Why are we not seeing overweight men? I'm not just singling out Target - this is across the industry.
Yes, it's appealing to me because it reflects reality. Fake reality causes problems.

Yes, you are bringing up the sexism with your whole question.

There have always been Big and Tall menswear and stores. Even husky sizes for little boys. It's an assumption that men of all sizes are normal and the market has always met their needs.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, it's appealing to me because it reflects reality. Fake reality causes problems.

There have always been Big and Tall menswear and stores. Even husky sizes for little boys. It's an assumption that men of all sizes are normal and the market has always met their needs.
Plus sized women's wear (and little girl's clothing) have been around as long as I can recall, and I am no spring chicken. My point is that we just don't see this in stores, magazines, etc. Why? Statistically, men are just as, if not more so, overweight as women.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
OK, you were fat and worked your way down. Congratulations! You find what you consider overweight models unappealing. What did you wear during your plump days? I pulled the add up and found one lingerie in a give or take 12 and one in a give or take 18. There are women out there above size 0 and they shop.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrissymahl...some-water-bbs

Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
It has become a way to advertise that you offer extended sizing for that particular style / product without having to scan for the printed size range.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
As a plus sized woman, there's nothing I hate more than going to a plus sized section or store and see pictures of size 6 models wearing the clothes that I'm supposed to be buying!!! I need to see what the clothes look like on someone that looks like me. If it offends anyone's delicate sensibilities to have to look at that, too d@mn bad. They can get over it. Or not. I really don't care.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 AM

880 posts, read 531,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

well said and 100% agreed. Men have always had there needs catered to, they make pants in a variety of lengths and band sizes. For a very long time my 5'1 self would be expected to fit in the same length pants as a tall woman. When petite sizes did become available it was more expensive, but there was a market and people were willing to pay.

I love the fact that Target and other stores use plus size models, I don't think it promotes an unhealthy lifestyle at all, it just makes fashion more accessible to plus size women. Besides, being plus sized isn't anything you should hide and be ashamed of. We need brands that promote body acceptance, there were big people before they started and there will be big people if they stopped, but showing young girls that real bodies come in all shapes and sizes is a positive thing.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OK, you were fat and worked your way down. Congratulations! You find what you consider overweight models unappealing. What did you wear during your plump days? I pulled the add up and found one lingerie in a give or take 12 and one in a give or take 18. There are women out there above size 0 and they shop.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrissymahl...some-water-bbs
The point is being missed here. I am well aware that larger people wear clothes, too. (By the way, my largest was a size 4, as I am a very small person. I shopped at regular petite stores, if you must know). My post was simply gauging how effective these advertisements are and why men are not given equal time. Plus sized men are just not advertised in the mainstream, and they are just as overweight as women. Why? Your link is something I would have NEVER found or seen had you not mentioned it here. My post was also questioning if it is a good idea to promote an unhealthy lifestyle - just as the anorexic, heroine chic of the early 90's. There is bountiful research backing the dangers of being overweight (and, yes, I know, skinny people get sick and die, too).

And by the way, there are women out there that are a size 0 who also shop and cannot find clothes. A lot of the companies that have a "0" are what a size "4" used to be. So it's not just larger women who have a hard time finding clothing. But, that is NOT the point of the post.

I'm sure I will get blasted for "disappearing" from this topic for a while, but I have other things I MUST do.....

Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Glamorizing an unhealthy lifestyle. Just like smoking used to do. Obesity will kill you just the same: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, fatty liver...you name it.

I find it a huge turn-off.

It's a Target ad, not runway modeling. I'd hardly call that glamorizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty