U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-15-2019, 08:07 AM
 
10,658 posts, read 8,120,657 times
Reputation: 26514

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The argument that "fat people need to know how the clothes will look on them" is specious at best. Most fat people aren't proportioned anything like those models. For that matter, most thin people aren't either. You can be a size 2 and still not be shaped like a model (raises hand). The only way to know whether and how clothes are going to fit is to try them on. The only concession shops need to make is to mention, somewhere in the ad, what sizes are available.

Showing overweight models is not at all about how clothes fit, it's about being "inclusive." It's a way of saying, we recognize that 40% of American women are obese and we accept that.

At least be honest about it.
By accept, what do you mean?

Accept, as in we know these people exist. No need to hide out from society?

Accept, as in, if one happens to find themselves larger than a size 4, then it is okay to be seen in public and one should not have self loathing?

Or do you believe it' say, hey everybody, go out and gain weight!

The problem is that people are insisting that large people hate themselves and should voluntarily remove themselves from public until they are an acceptable size.

 
Old 03-15-2019, 08:18 AM
 
8,964 posts, read 4,524,135 times
Reputation: 31064
So apparently the people who don't like the Target ads would be happier if the models all looked depressed and the text on the ad said in big letters "We know you fat people exist, so we're going to take your money, but you should know that you're unhealthy and you're gonna die."

That would make everything okay, right??? Woo hoo! Problem solved!!

Nope. You'd still be pissed about having to look at fat models. So seriously ... let's stop pretending this has anything to do with "glamorizing an unhealthy lifestyle" and call a spade a spade ... you just don't want to be subjected to ads with fat people.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,545 posts, read 22,749,795 times
Reputation: 36710
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The argument that "fat people need to know how the clothes will look on them" is specious at best. Most fat people aren't proportioned anything like those models. For that matter, most thin people aren't either. You can be a size 2 and still not be shaped like a model (raises hand). The only way to know whether and how clothes are going to fit is to try them on. The only concession shops need to make is to mention, somewhere in the ad, what sizes are available.

Showing overweight models is not at all about how clothes fit, it's about being "inclusive" and smart marketing. It's a way of saying, we recognize that 40% of American women are obese and we accept that. You're beautiful! And, by the way, please shop at our store and not some other store.

At least be honest about it.
If models don't give people some idea about how clothing looks on, why not just take pictures of the outfit on a hanger or laying flat on a table? Wouldn't that be less expensive and just as effective?
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 AM
 
Location: all over the place (figuratively)
2,896 posts, read 2,274,426 times
Reputation: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
By accept, what do you mean?

Accept, as in we know these people exist. No need to hide out from society?

Accept, as in, if one happens to find themselves larger than a size 4, then it is okay to be seen in public and one should not have self loathing?

Or do you believe it' say, hey everybody, go out and gain weight!

The problem is that people are insisting that large people hate themselves and should voluntarily remove themselves from public until they are an acceptable size.
"Oh honey, you're fine just the way you are."

I and others object to the subtext of those ads. The only solution is to not use morbidly obese models in ads unless one is searching specifically for large sizes being modeled. Whatever visual preferences someone has, there's a point when it's clearly medical and shouldn't be condoned.

By the way, on manufacturer websites, instead of models, visuals could be like mannequins but with settings users could modify closer to their own measurements.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM
 
8,964 posts, read 4,524,135 times
Reputation: 31064
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If models don't give people some idea about how clothing looks on, why not just take pictures of the outfit on a hanger or laying flat on a table? Wouldn't that be less expensive and just as effective?
Am I the only one who thinks that clothing looks completely different on a hanger or laying flat than it does on an actual body? It's the big reason I've never been able to buy clothes on online consignment stores or auction sites. How do you know what a drapey top or dress is going to look like?
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
12,932 posts, read 8,171,050 times
Reputation: 18790
The scrawny, boy-like, pouty faced models are more appealing than the more normal looking ones?
Not to me.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:21 AM
 
6,092 posts, read 3,788,074 times
Reputation: 15573
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If models don't give people some idea about how clothing looks on, why not just take pictures of the outfit on a hanger or laying flat on a table? Wouldn't that be less expensive and just as effective?
That works for me. I'm just as happy to see clothes hanging on hangers. If I'm at all interested, I am going to try them on anyway. The only thing that matters is whether they fit me, not how they look on a model or mannequin. Very often I've been disappointed by how something which looks fantastic on a model doesn't fit me at all, and whether or not that's the case is surprisingly unpredictable. And yes, it would certainly be less expensive.

But I also admit that in general I have no great desire to look at clothes, shop for clothes, or think about clothes.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 AM
 
10,658 posts, read 8,120,657 times
Reputation: 26514
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
"Oh honey, you're fine just the way you are."

I and others object to the subtext of those ads. The only solution is to not use morbidly obese models in ads unless one is searching specifically for large sizes being modeled. Whatever visual preferences someone has, there's a point when it's clearly medical and shouldn't be condoned.

By the way, on manufacturer websites, instead of models, visuals could be like mannequins but with settings users could modify closer to their own measurements.
Well, it seems different people see different "subtext." Even still, isn't it up to the individual to decide on their body? You don't have to like it. No one needs your approval or consent.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM
 
8,634 posts, read 12,981,723 times
Reputation: 4559
[quote=hertfordshire;54687188]Am I the only one who thinks that clothing looks completely different on a hanger or laying flat than it does on an actual body? It's the big reason I've never been able to buy clothes on online consignment stores or auction sites. How do you know what a drapey top or dress is going to look like?[/quote]

Go to the store & try it on.
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
20,772 posts, read 13,643,280 times
Reputation: 28449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I couldn't care less about fat people beyond the eyesore they give me in public, the ER bills they rack up from taxpayers, the lack of pride they have for their own body, and the overweight models I'm bombarded with on social media.

But at the end of the day, this county's overall health is going down the drain and we will all pay for it with our tax money.

There's no politician, social program, movement, revolution, etc. that's going to reverse the bleak statistics of overweight people in this country. Any fat person can go to the gym, but the pain it takes to get back into shape makes them avoid it altogether.
I go to the gym. I am going this morning, as a matter of fact. I do see people of ALL sizes there when I go.

You make a lot of unsubstantiated assumptions about something you know little about.

Not every fat person is morbidly obese. Letís start with that. And nit every fat person has severe health problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top