U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

2,834 posts, read 2,243,882 times

Advertisements

I'm on Target's email list, and today I was sent an email that was about women's swimwear, featuring first and foremost a very large woman in a bathing suit. It was appropriate coverage, but I don't want that sent my way. Next time I receive something like that, I'm unsubscribing. Stupid company should have in its system that I'm a man.

The only positive about that is it prompted me to think there's also anger about hypersexualization gone so far that now ads featuring obese women in revealing clothing are going mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

2,362 posts, read 895,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't want to see a fat person in lingerie. Sorry but I don't.
Ack, agree!

I am a female. Until menopause I always (unless pg) had a trim hourglass figure. Then got fat for the first time in my life (post-menopause). Now am small (122lb) again. I modified my diet to lose the weight that menopausal endocrinologic shifts caused me to gain as I refused to be fat long term.

Having been fat I can say that there is nothing hot about rolls, flab and cellulite.

I find it hilarious how heavyset females with no discernible curves claim to be "curvy". Rolls and no waist is not curvy, nor is a huge protruding abdomen or massive thighs.

That said, with the amount of obese folks it makes total sense to market to them and I agree with the stores so doing; it's about profit obvi.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

2,212 posts, read 804,039 times
wow.
35 pages of this.
ok, i will play.

i retired from marketing so:
1. there is a demographic that one wants to SELL to.
2. there is also a demographic to ASPIRE to.

for example, selling basketball shoes to 13-year-olds using a pro athlete's endorsement.
so, the models have "restricted" the clothes' possible buyers to the pictured demo,
since, historically, the size 4 does not aspire to acquire size 22.

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

989 posts, read 622,496 times
Quote:
These ads say it is ok to be fat. It is not ok. It's extremely unhealthy. It kills people.

if we're going to show fat people in ads, why don't we just show people smoking or doing drugs or drinking?

All these things are unhealthy and we should not be promoting them.
Newsflash.....ads are about sales.

We show ads with people drinking.....all the time.
We show fast food ads
We show fast/reckless driving ads
We show lots of ads about risky sex
We show ads with rail-thin-probably anorexic models.
We show kids all kids of ads to sell them tons of sugar in different forms

All these things are unhealthy and kill people yet are promote to the max.

Should those be cancelled too? Don’t be a hypocrite.

You don’t like it, don’t buy it. Simple.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

4,929 posts, read 2,077,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Ack, agree!

I am a female. Until menopause I always (unless pg) had a trim hourglass figure. Then got fat for the first time in my life (post-menopause). Now am small (122lb) again. I modified my diet to lose the weight that menopausal endocrinologic shifts caused me to gain as I refused to be fat long term.

Having been fat I can say that there is nothing hot about rolls, flab and cellulite.

I find it hilarious how heavyset females with no discernible curves claim to be "curvy". Rolls and no waist is not curvy, nor is a huge protruding abdomen or massive thighs.

That said, with the amount of obese folks it makes total sense to market to them and I agree with the stores so doing; it's about profit obvi.
You can't say "overweight" or "fat" anymore...it's "thick", "curvy"

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

31,893 posts, read 58,663,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The argument that "fat people need to know how the clothes will look on them" is specious at best.
Are you a woman who wears these sizes? If not, you have no business claiming to know the validity of arguments, or the reasons people like seeing clothes on models who look more like them than the typical fashion model.

Quote:
but the larger problem is why don't people have enough motivation to do something about their weight?
I don't know ... Why don't people have enough motivation to do something about their inability to stay on topic?
Quote:
Why don't you put a bag over your head? Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'm on Target's email list, and today I was sent an email that was about women's swimwear, featuring first and foremost a very large woman in a bathing suit. It was appropriate coverage, but I don't want that sent my way. Next time I receive something like that, I'm unsubscribing. Stupid company should have in its system that I'm a man.

The only positive about that is it prompted me to think there's also anger about hypersexualization gone so far that now ads featuring obese women in revealing clothing are going mainstream.

How prudish of you. It's the 21st Century, after all ... Swimsuits haven't been considered "revealing clothing" for almost 100 years.

By that logic, I should insist that I don't see ads for erectile dysfunction on my TV anymore.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

2,125 posts, read 943,490 times
overweight people wear clothes, too. They make plus size clothing, why would they not have plus size models wearing it? It's not promoting anything, it's showing what the clothes look like on a body they are made for.

Also, it's just smart marketing. $$$$

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

4,734 posts, read 618,819 times
Quote:
I absolutely HATE team sports and don't want to see them on my TV fill up hours on end on the weekends and Monday nights. March Madness drives me MAD....

I absolutely abhor smoking ANYTHING and bristle when I walk into a restaurant, bar or public space that allows it.

And then I think: "1st person white people's problems" and get over it.

...and you can too.

Because of a series of unfortunate events, I gained most of the 28 pounds I lost a few years back. This week I joined a gym and had an initial interview with the manager of the place who is assigning me a personal trainer.

I'm a 5 ft-not-even-one-inch tall 67 year old female who is currently 168 lbs. I'm short waisted, a 38DD and inherited thunder thighs from both sides of my family. I have a compromised immune system and as a result am prone to systemic yeast infections and digestive issues. I have a "pouch" left over from the birth of my first child by c-section--no diet/exercise is ever going to help that.

The fitness manager ran my BMI and fat to muscle ratio, and plugged that into a formula. She said that a suitable weight goal for me would be 140 lbs with an appropriate fat to muscle ratio. Anything lower than that would be dangerous to my health.

All obese persons are not necessarily "fat and lazy." Most likely they are beat down from life, have been told that they were a failure and that they will never measure up. It's emotionally and mentally difficult to crawl out of that hole. They might have a genetic predisposition to being heavier, or have health issues, or are taking prescribed medication(s) whose side effects include weight gain.

To solely judge people based on how they look is being superficial at best, and exhibits callousness at its worst. It says more about the person passing judgement than the person being judged.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM

12,003 posts, read 7,131,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
What's wrong is doughy women but no men with beer guts or even smokers. Why are they leaving out the other gender and other unhealthy lifestyles?
Is there lingerie specifically made for smokers?

Do the bra's have a little pouch on the band to hold your pack of smokes, or is it just an ashtray between the two cups so you can easily put your cigarette out wherever you are?

The Target ad is featuring plus-size models because it's an ad for their new lingerie line that includes plus sizes.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

1,239 posts, read 900,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.

I think being fat is ugly, but these models are helpful to me because I'm fat, too, unfortunately, but with fat models I can see how bad I would look in something not shape-appropriate.

Yes, there are always souls somewhere under these extra pounds. The souls are easier to discover without ugly outfits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty