U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2019, 02:41 AM

1,209 posts, read 760,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Glamorizing an unhealthy lifestyle. Just like smoking used to do. Obesity will kill you just the same: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, fatty liver...you name it.

I find it a huge turn-off.
This is exactly how I feel. "Models" like Tess Holiday don't promote a healthy lifestyle nor do they make me want to buy clothing. What is empowering about being obese?

Old 03-16-2019, 05:20 AM

10,592 posts, read 10,848,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
This is exactly how I feel. "Models" like Tess Holiday don't promote a healthy lifestyle nor do they make me want to buy clothing. What is empowering about being obese?
“Promoting a healthy lifestyle” isn’t necessarily her purpose. Her purpose is to defy societal norms by being fearless despite having a body that is not conventionally or mainstream “hot.” I don’t know much about her outside of what she looks like. The little I do know, I can say I don’t agree with her on some issues. I also don’t buy into the feminist element that is often present within “body acceptance” movements. But I also think she and others like her have their place. Plus size women shouldn’t be expected to go into hiding just because some people don’t like them. In fact, I think it’s reasonable argue some of the body acceptance movement is foreseeable reaction to society’s willingness to reserve a special place of scorn for fat women despite accepting just about every other class of person.

Holliday’s mission need not be to promote a healthy lifestyle. There are a lot of products that don’t. There are also a lot of models who are more mainstream who also do not promote a healthy lifestyle. Have you heard some of the horror stories some of these women endure to stay relevant in their field? Hell, a lot of them probably less healthy than Holliday.

“She doesn’t promote a healthy lifestyle” and other statements of health related “concern” are mostly just code for “she’s fat and I don’t like her because of it.”

Old 03-16-2019, 06:12 AM

26 posts, read 3,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Actually they do not. That is a lie.

When I was in my early 20s, I worked for the petite division of a fairly well known NYC modeling agency. (Yes, they had large sized division, too)

I was one of the "shorter" petite models. Most were 5'5". Most people who are 5'5" do not think of themselves as "petite". There was ONE model there who was shorter than I (5'3") and I think they used her because she was a very skinny Latina. She worked more than I did. There were a few Asian and black models who were also under 5'5".

I booked a fair amount. But, they let me know that I was "on the shorter side".

Petite models are also used to make an item look larger than it actually it. A car, a major appliance, and a shorter male model are three examples.

Since then, I see fewer petite models. Even when I shop for Petite clothes on line, the person wearing it is NEVER my size.

It would help me to order clothes online if I could see women withing a few inches of my size wearing the clothes.

We may both be size 2, but if she is 6' tall, it is not going to give me ANY idea of how this will look on me.

I wanted to add - I am glad that a greater variety of sizes of models have been helpful to some posters. I also can say that the models called "Plus" in the 1980s, were not really "Plus" (to me a size 22 or so) many only wore a size 12 or 14! And these women were tall.

People can within reason change their weight.

As for myself, sort of going to S.Korea and having my legs broken, and having metal shafts inserted - there is nothing I can do about my height.

I LIKE my height and I would never think of mutilating myself. It's part of who I am.

I also like clothes. The Petite lines are usually only available ON LINE. One of my favorite stores is Express. I have to order those clothes online.

I feel the fashion industry complete skipped over a whole market that includes myself. And that sucks.

I'm not going to argue that a company may hire a petite model to make something look bigger, but most dealerships etcetera at auto shows only hire girls that are 5'8 +.
Hiring a petite girl to make a car look bigger is definitely not the norm.

Also "petite models" are in a division that model petite fashions.
5'5 would be on the tall side for a petite fashion model.
Appliances are not fashion. So that would fall in the commercial print category. And people in a commercial print advertisement do not have to meet fashion model requirements. They can be any size. So if a client requests a short person, that's what he or she gets.

Last edited by Coral Soleil; 03-16-2019 at 06:36 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 06:26 AM

26 posts, read 3,714 times
Air brushing is easier now, so hiring bigger women is easier now.
If you are not shopping for plus size lingerie there is no need for you to be looking at plus size models that are selling it. And there is no reason for you to complain about it. If you are plus sized and you want to see products that you are interested in buying shown on thinner women then write the company and complain.

To the people that think that there should be air brushing laws, well then there should be laws against apps that photo shop people's pictures before they post them then.

Old 03-16-2019, 06:26 AM

2,467 posts, read 924,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You can't say "overweight" or "fat" anymore...it's "thick", "curvy"
LMAOOO I know.

Makes heavyset folk feel better somehow to use a euphemism, albeit an incorrect one.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:53 AM

11,553 posts, read 6,644,700 times
70% of americans, 7 out of 10 adult women, are fat (statistically overweight or obese), so from a marketing standpoint it makes sense for clothes sellers to hire fat models to sell clothes to fat women.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:37 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,268,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
“Promoting a healthy lifestyle” isn’t necessarily her purpose. Her purpose is to defy societal norms by being fearless despite having a body that is not conventionally or mainstream “hot.” I don’t know much about her outside of what she looks like. The little I do know, I can say I don’t agree with her on some issues. I also don’t buy into the feminist element that is often present within “body acceptance” movements. But I also think she and others like her have their place. Plus size women shouldn’t be expected to go into hiding just because some people don’t like them. In fact, I think it’s reasonable argue some of the body acceptance movement is foreseeable reaction to society’s willingness to reserve a special place of scorn for fat women despite accepting just about every other class of person.

Holliday’s mission need not be to promote a healthy lifestyle. There are a lot of products that don’t. There are also a lot of models who are more mainstream who also do not promote a healthy lifestyle. Have you heard some of the horror stories some of these women endure to stay relevant in their field? Hell, a lot of them probably less healthy than Holliday.

“She doesn’t promote a healthy lifestyle” and other statements of health related “concern” are mostly just code for “she’s fat and I don’t like her because of it.”
Nobody said she should promote a healthy lifestyle. Nobody said Target and other retailers should promote a healthy lifestyle. Nobody said obese women should be recluses. Probably most onlookers would concede that fat acceptance is a natural defensive reaction by overweight people. However, none of that excuses actively condoning unwellness for profit. It's almost as bad as cigarette advertising.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:50 AM

5,538 posts, read 8,507,789 times
I could care less about the size of a model. I only look at the clothes. However, I can emphasize with it being more difficult for a runway designer to design/create outfits for models of many different sizes. Standardizing on one or two sizes (whether 2/4 or 12/14) can makes things more efficient. Also, it would be more cost effective, for example, to buy expensive fabric/beading for smaller sizes.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 AM

10,592 posts, read 10,848,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Nobody said she should promote a healthy lifestyle. Nobody said Target and other retailers should promote a healthy lifestyle. Nobody said obese women should be recluses. Probably most onlookers would concede that fat acceptance is a natural defensive reaction by overweight people. However, none of that excuses actively condoning unwellness for profit. It's almost as bad as cigarette advertising.
This person did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
What is her post if not an assetation that Holliday should promote a healthy lifestyle?

And what are the NUMEROUS other references on this thread on the subject of health related concerns and promoting a healthy lifestyle if they are not an implication that these models should be promoting a healthy lifestyle.

And once again, it seems only plus size models should promote a healthy lifestyle. Unhealthy skinny models are given a pass.

Last edited by iknowftbll; 03-16-2019 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 11:04 AM

54,061 posts, read 52,948,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Mightyqueen
If I am not too nosy - how tall are you? When we moved to the US I felt like a clumsy giant amidst the Southern Belles and was right where I left. SO turned out to be the frog prince and made everything perfect; still does.
I'm six feet and one-half-inch tall. Or so I always was. My SO is six feet and he swore I was shorter than he is, so he measured me on his door jamb like a little kid. I showed up as 5'11. I'm only 60, so I can't really attribute it to aging yet. I fell down stairs and sprained my back three years ago and it still gives me a bit of trouble, and I have the feeling that somehow that's where I lost the extra inch and a half. Something got jammed together.

Where did you come from, if you don't mind me asking?

Three years ago I flew Icelandic Air to meet my daughter in Amsterdam. The plane was going to the Keflavik airport, and then I would catch my flight to Amsterdam, but others were going on to Oslo. I was amazed standing at the gate at Newark Airport at how many tall people, including women, were on my flight.

I am of Dutch descent, and we are the tallest people in the world, but those Scandinavians on that flight were right there with me. It was amazing and fun to be in the majority for once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty