U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:40 PM

832 posts, read 702,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
Isn't the add to introduce a new brand of lingerie that is available in a wide range of sizes? Why wouldn't they show different sizes of women to advertise these products?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 12:50 PM

5,400 posts, read 1,911,061 times
I think men's weights don't fluctuate as much as women. Our metabolism and hormones and childbirthing can change our weight a lot. Plus...women's sizing doesn't seem to be as standardized as it is for men. Men go shopping for jeans, and they're looking at waist and length. Women's clothes come in 'sizes' and a size 10 (for instance) can be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Heck...even the same manufacturer can have fluctuations in their sizes, depending if the pattern is cut from the top of the bolt or the bottom of the bolt.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:53 PM

12,582 posts, read 17,170,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think men's weights don't fluctuate as much as women. Our metabolism and hormones and childbirthing can change our weight a lot. Plus...women's sizing doesn't seem to be as standardized as it is for men. Men go shopping for jeans, and they're looking at waist and length. Women's clothes come in 'sizes' and a size 10 (for instance) can be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Heck...even the same manufacturer can have fluctuations in their sizes, depending if the pattern is cut from the top of the bolt or the bottom of the bolt.
I hate to contradict you but you have not shopped for a man lately? I learned over time the cuts of X shirt makers, pants and yes boots. Jeans have come a long ways

Old 03-13-2019, 01:02 PM

6,868 posts, read 3,854,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Plus...women's sizing doesn't seem to be as standardized as it is for men. Men go shopping for jeans, and they're looking at waist and length.
That's because women's bodies are more varied in proportions than men's, on average. We can't just buy pants based on inseam length and waist circumference, because we vary too much in the size of our hips, thighs, and butts. Likewise, we need more measurements than neck circumference, chest circumference, and arm length to buy a blouse because we have breasts. Two women with exactly the same size chest circumference (as measured directly beneath the breasts) may not be able to wear the same blouse if one wears an A-cup and the other a DD cup.

So more diversity of female body types in ads makes it easier for each of us to see how a particular piece of apparel will look on us. It can also help us figure out if a particular line of clothes is styled to match our own body shape (regardless of what size we wear).

Old 03-13-2019, 01:07 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,052,788 times
I think normal size and plus size models are a very good idea and I would like to see many more of them, same thing with people in commercials.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:08 PM

4,504 posts, read 2,060,559 times
Iím a weight yo-yo but I never get over a size 18 at my heaviest. At 5í10Ē; a size 18 doesnít mean the same thing as it does for a woman who is 5í4Ē & I still wear regular size XL. Last year I was a size 10. The year before that I was a size 16 & the year before that I was a size 12, before that I was a 18. Most of my life Iíve been a 6-10.

Itís annoying & estrogen dependent. Iím fine with plus-sized models but none of them seemed to be shaped like I am, even when Iím heavy. Their butts are square & their shoulders, backs & arms are heavy. I donít even think they are tall, actually. Never mind that, though; the clothes are miserable! Canít they still sew shapely tops, just larger? Why is everything so shape-less? I had 11 kids already; I donít want to wear stuff that looks like maternity clothes anymore.

The pants are bad too; all that ďshapingĒ stuff squeezes me in the wrong spots & hemlines that donít go where they are supposed to make me look chunkier. Please use creative ruching; that would be awesome!

Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM

5,811 posts, read 2,271,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
The bolded tells me all I want to know about your attitude OP. The first few words off your keyboard were quite judgmental. Someone who makes their living posing for advertising is probably pretty conscientious, healthy and fit, not some slovenly glutton. You know nothing about those women but demean them so easily.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-13-2019 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 01:24 PM

882 posts, read 430,512 times
I don't pay attention one way or the other and I don't decide where to shop and what to buy based on their models. Women at all sizes are beautiful.

The thing is...all this freaking out about "disgusting fat girls" while you just ignore and venerate the absolutely unhealthy, underweight "beautiful, thin" models...and they are pretty much all unhealthy and underweight. Starving themselves, doing drugs, etc. Sad and disturbing. We have friends who have a daughter that is a big top model. She was a healthy, beautiful, normal, athletic teenager who was told to stop exercising so much and stop eating so much (she was quite thin and fit) to make it big. Now she is nowhere near as beautiful, but emaciated sells. Really sad. The overweight models are on average healthier than the ones you so desire to see, even if they aren't perfectly healthy, and honestly, many of them are not even actually overweight. The typical plus sized model is often at a healthy weight and doesn't even wear a plus size...but is considered "fat" compared to the emaciated girls you got used to seeing as models.

Last edited by STL74; 03-13-2019 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 01:28 PM

9,925 posts, read 9,086,260 times
It's a great idea, and long overdue!

Old 03-13-2019, 01:45 PM

188 posts, read 126,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Ladies with "meat on their bones" are the most attractive to me. Those so skinny they don't look healthy make me worry for them.
That ainít meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty