U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 05:15 PM

16,975 posts, read 9,517,553 times

Advertisements

I don’t have a problem with it at all, and it doesn’t offend me any more than seeing super skinny models. People come in all different sizes, shapes, and colors, and they all buy clothes.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 PM

18,211 posts, read 22,639,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
In your world, do people come in all sizes? Are people over a certain size supposed to hide and not be seen in public?

Large people are not new. People in ads should reflect reality. It's not promotion of anything.
Of course people come in all sizes. I don't think that "Morbidly Obese" is a reasonable, normal size. If you are a 600lb person, buying more over sized clothes, is akin to investing in your own death.

That is the meaning of the word "Morbid" - related to, or pertaining to death. No one HAS to be MORBIDLY OBESE. Yes. People have different shapes and sizes and not everyone can be a 000 (yes, they have that) Not everyone wants to.

If your ARE 600 lbs. you should be shopping, but not for clothes. You should be shopping for a plan to save your life. Morbidly obese people are literally deathly ill.

There is a reality show about a very pretty, vivacious morbidly obese young woman. She has dark brown hair and comes from North Carolina. I saw it once, but I see the advertisement for the television show where she is "dancing like no one is watching" in a red and black dress without shoes.

I find it sad, really. If she were my daughter, I'd be worried about her health and her life. I am not saying that she needs to be a size 6 - however a size 16 would not make her model thin - but, it would reduce the likelihood of serious medical issues and a premature death.

ETA - I think the question about male models is a separate but interesting topic.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:35 PM

21,524 posts, read 22,722,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Of course people come in all sizes. I don't think that "Morbidly Obese" is a reasonable, normal size. If you are a 600lb person, buying more over sized clothes, is akin to investing in your own death.

That is the meaning of the word "Morbid" - related to, or pertaining to death. No one HAS to be MORBIDLY OBESE. Yes. People have different shapes and sizes and not everyone can be a 000 (yes, they have that) Not everyone wants to.

If your ARE 600 lbs. you should be shopping, but not for clothes. You should be shopping for a plan to save your life. Morbidly obese people are literally deathly ill.

There is a reality show about a very pretty, vivacious morbidly obese young woman. She has dark brown hair and comes from North Carolina. I saw it once, but I see the advertisement for the television show where she is "dancing like no one is watching" in a red and black dress without shoes.

I find it sad, really. If she were my daughter, I'd be worried about her health and her life. I am not saying that she needs to be a size 6 - however a size 16 would not make her model thin - but, it would reduce the likelihood of serious medical issues and a premature death.

ETA - I think the question about male models is a separate but interesting topic.
I have not seen any 600 lb. models. That isn't what the OP is talking about. As far as I've noticed "plus sized" models for mainstream stores - like Target, Kohls etc, tend to be in the size 12- 20 range, not the stuff of reality TV.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It has made me NOT want to shop (in catalogs, not at a store) when I see skinny models in a plus-size catalog. That shirt isn't going to make anyone look as thin as they do, and you're insulting my intelligence by trying to make it seem that way.
This part is VERY TRUE - I say this as a petite. When I shop for clothes for women under 5'6". showing those clothes on a model who is 6' tall gives me NO idea of what those clothes will look like on me.

It's annoying and I don't understand what they are trying to accomplish.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 2,111,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I have not seen any 600 lb. models. That isn't what the OP is talking about. As far as I've noticed "plus sized" models for mainstream stores - like Target, Kohls etc, tend to be in the size 12- 20 range, not the stuff of reality TV.
There are many that are close...
Attached Thumbnails
Overweight models-img_1397.jpg  

Old 03-13-2019, 05:52 PM

21,524 posts, read 22,722,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
There are many that are close...
"Many"?

Doubtful.

She does not look to be 600 lbs and I doubt she's doing modeling for Target and Kohls.

Even if she is, so what? Even women her size need to get dressed. Presumably she'd be modeling specifically "plus sized" clothing. Those who are horrified/offended can skip that section since it's clearly not aimed at them anyway.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:26 PM

4,374 posts, read 3,619,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, it's appealing to me because it reflects reality. Fake reality causes problems.

Yes, you are bringing up the sexism with your whole question.

There have always been Big and Tall menswear and stores. Even husky sizes for little boys. It's an assumption that men of all sizes are normal and the market has always met their needs.
[quote=gypsyjudy;54670186] But, that is NOT the point of the post.

I'm sure I will get blasted for "disappearing" from this topic for a while, but I have other things I MUST do.....[/quote]

Why would we blast you if you disappear? You have other things you must do and we will carry on and offer our opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Okay. Guess I got my answer there. Supply and demand. Geez, there sure are a lot of touchy people out there. Thanks for the responses.
Touchy? We are far less touchy than your original post. You have your opinion and we have ours. I didn't have to post an opinion because I have given rep to everyone (and I would say charlygal sums it up in a tight and brief response) I have agreed with. But I agree your disgust/repulsion at Overweight models (your words, not mine) is not something I find unappealing at all. No more than beer advertisements/commercials which don't apply or appeal to me at all.

It's a big (no pun intended) world out there with a vast and varied population which needs to be included as well as all the "beautiful people", it certainly makes sense to me.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 PM

11,041 posts, read 19,808,068 times
I think it's great to see models of all sizes.

Some people may not like to look at plus sized women, but we exist, we'll probably always exist, and it's nice to see advertising that caters to us, considering we have to buy clothes and undergarments too, which usually cost more than the normal sizes.

And when I saw the ad, all I was thinking was "Target has bras that will fit me for $22, not the $50+ I have to pay at Lane Bryant or Torrid!" so the ad is serving it's purpose, which is to tell shoppers that bras are available in bigger sizes (even though cup sizes above a DDD have to be ordered from Target online).

Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Oh. You are privy to their weight? :hand: I disagree. I think that what I wrote is what the OP was talking about. You may disagree, but do not correct me.

When it comes to me, you just cannot resist correction, confrontation, or making oppositional posts. I learned that years ago, which is why I have you on my "ignore" list. Tonight, I had a feeling that your post was in response to something I said, so I took a peek.

Sadly some things never change.

I do not pretend to know the exact weight of morbidly obese models. Or emaciated ones. When I wrote "600 lbs", I think that most readers knew that I was using a number to project picture. I was using the number imagistically, if you will, and not in a concrete fashion. It was an abstract number, used to convey a mental picture.

Actually, I think you knew that. You just wanted to argue and correct. Which is what you seem to like to do to me. I don't know why.

Do YOU know the exact weight of every model or actress? I don't pretend to know that. It is not a medical record, and I am not a carnival "weight guesser". Are you?

I am not shaming anyone. I was guessing and perhaps employing a bit of hyperbole. I am fairly certain that you know what that is, correct?

This model looks to be around 400lbs. Maybe more, since I am sure she is very tall. https://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresse...vy/163042.html

I really wish that you could stop the critical comments. Perhaps there was something that I did in the past with which you took issue. If so, I am sorry if I offended you. Why not let it go? I do not even remember what started this feud, but we are both "City Data old timers". I officially withdraw from any negative engagement. I am tired.

Why not try to get along? I am open to that, mm.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 3,886,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I think it's great to see models of all sizes.
So do I. And add "ethnicities" to that, too. Humans are diverse; it's nice to have models that reflect that, and who give a prospective buyer a good idea of how a particular line of clothing fits on different body types.

Quote:
And when I saw the ad, all I was thinking was "Target has bras that will fit me for $22, not the $50+ I have to pay at Lane Bryant or Torrid!" so the ad is serving it's purpose, which is to tell shoppers that bras are available in bigger sizes (even though cup sizes above a DDD have to be ordered from Target online).
And available in really small sizes, too! Not many lines offer a AA cup. And that's why the ad features three different women, with three very different breast sizes. It's trying to make the same point visually that the print part of the ad is making: this line of bras comes in a very wide range of sizes. What's wrong with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty