U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2019, 07:40 PM

8,982 posts, read 4,529,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This model looks to be around 400lbs. Maybe more, since I am sure she is very tall. https://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresse...vy/163042.html
Well you're probably not going to get that job guessing weights at the carnival. She's nowhere near 400. I'm a larger size than her, and I'm 285.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:41 PM

32,006 posts, read 58,857,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models?
The same dress will look completely different on a size 4 model than on a size 20 model. People want to see models who look like them, they want to see what the clothes will look like on someone who looks like them.

Is that a problem for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The woman in the middle. She's more than 200 pounds and possibly morbidly obese. It's glamorized, like life can be enjoyable that way.
Would you prefer to see her frowning, or with a depressed face? Or maybe with a bag over her head?

Or would you rather she stay out of sight and not offend you with her happiness in who she is?

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 03-13-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,901,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The woman in the middle. She's more than 200 pounds and possibly morbidly obese. It's glamorized, like life can be enjoyable that way. Not for long.
Oh, really? I've been enjoying life at that size for about 30 years now. Given that my grandmother, who was larger than me, lived her entire life at 250+ pounds and died at age 89 and my father, who's also larger than me, is still ticking and in reasonably decent health at age 84, I don't expect to keel over any time soon. And shockingly, I travel both domestically and internationally, go hiking and swimming whenever I get the chance, and work out at my local gym at least 3 times a week.

Life doesn't stop just because a person is plus-sized.

Last edited by Aredhel; 03-13-2019 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM

18,262 posts, read 22,693,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I think it's nice that every shape is represented now. Target even has one underwear ad picturing an old woman with white hair, wow, it's so refreshing to see a model that isn't young and beautiful.

But I only look at ads with models my size, so I know how the clothing would look on me, so I bypass the plus size ads.
Every shape is NOT represented - TWO are - TALL and SKINNY and TALL and VERY HEAVY.

You never see -

1. Athletically built models

2. Models with dancer's bodies

3. Models under 5'9 - (although most women are)

4. Medium or average weight models.

For VERY large tall women, I am glad that they get to see how they will look in clothes. I never see - a model who is 5'5" and 136, 5'7" and 150, 5'4" and 129 or 5'1" and 105.

There are a lot of medium women. And small women. You wouldn't know it when you shop online.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 PM

30 posts, read 10,282 times
Quote:
Every shape is NOT represented - TWO are - TALL and SKINNY and TALL and VERY HEAVY.

You never see -

For VERY large tall women, I am glad that they get to see how they will look in clothes. I never see - a model who is 5'5" and 136, 5'7" and 150, 5'4" and 129 or 5'1" and 105.

There are a lot of medium women. And small women. You wouldn't know it when you shop online.
I wish they showed all of that.

Also, bigger-chested women who aren't plus size!

Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 PM

18,262 posts, read 22,693,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrailertrash View Post
I wish they showed all of that.

That too! They are either flat chested or all around large.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:05 PM

32,006 posts, read 58,857,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctrailertrash View Post
Plus sized women who don't have plus sized boobs!

Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,901,295 times
Quote:
You never see -

I think that's because a lot of women don't like the look of visible muscles on a female body. (God only knows why!) They want to see someone who looks "toned," not someone who looks like she actually has muscles and knows how to use them.

I hope that silly prejudice fades away over time. Muscles are good! It would also help if more clothes were available for athletically built women to buy. Even clothes sold at athletic/outdoor/sports stores often don't fit them correctly; the fit through the biceps and thighs is often too tight.

Quote:

I've certainty seen many ads with medium-weight women, but there is definitely a bias towards tallness that is still present.

These are reasons more body diversity in ads is helpful. Especially now that online ordering is so common, people want some visible assurance that the item will actually fit their own body type. No one like ordering something, trying it on only to discover it doesn't fit right, and then having to box it back up to take to the Post Office to return it.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
That too! They are either flat chested or all around large.
I remember watching an episode of America's Next Top Model years ago where one of the girls was "big-chested." Except, she really wasn't. She was probably a B cup (and slim), and Tyra and everyone else on the show kept talking about her chest size being unconventional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Plus sized women who don't have plus sized boobs!
That is a good one, too. Not everyone who is plus-sized is "curvy" with big hips and huge boobs (and a relatively small waist and slim face in comparison to body size), but that does seem to be mostly what you see among plus-size models.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
These are reasons more body diversity in ads is helpful. Especially now that online ordering is so common, people want some visible assurance that the item will actually fit their own body type. No one like ordering something, trying it on only to discover it doesn't fit right, and then having to box it back up to take to the Post Office to return it.
I agree. All women are different, but I definitely support clothing retailers having models of all different heights, shapes and sizes. It will simply make clothing shopping much easier for women, and it will probably help clothing stores sell more clothes, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty