Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:42 AM

383 posts, read 391,819 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I've been very obese - 285 at my highest. Thankfully I grew a brain and am now 160 at 5'9".

I find obese models very sad. Yes, they do reflect America, but I just see a lazy person taking no responsibility for their health.

It will catch up with them eventually.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
fat shaming at its finest....find some empathy.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I've been very obese - 285 at my highest. Thankfully I grew a brain and am now 160 at 5'9".

I find obese models very sad. Yes, they do reflect America, but I just see a lazy person taking no responsibility for their health.

It will catch up with them eventually.
Do these ads make you want to shop at the store, or do they turn you away?

Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
Target is trying to sell clothes. People of all sizes need clothes. What's the problem?

Should people larger than size 4 high away from life like a dirty secret? Are models used just to show available products or are they meant to be aspirational examples?

There's nothing wrong with these ads. I live in the real world where people come in all sizes. Admitting to reality is not promotion of any lifestyle or personal habits.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
fat shaming at its finest....find some empathy.
Geez. Give me a break. Empathy would imply that I should feel badly for these women, but then you say I am "shaming" them. That doesn't seem to be an attitude of "empowerment," which seems to be what this whole trend seems to be about . Everyone in the world is such a victim these days! We really do need to get off our phones, away from the blasted tv, and take a dose of personal responsibility. Furthermore, I should be able to express my personal opinion without being demeaned. You don't know me or what is in my heart, so lay off the vitriol. I am just asking a question and trying to have some discourse on a subject.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
The marketing aspect - with the increase of obesity, there is an overwhelming opportunity for profit in clothing lines. In the past, clothing options were limited and obese or overweight people were not a target audience. Now there is a large target audience.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:29 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Do these ads make you want to shop at the store, or do they turn you away?
I will say that when I was a size 24W, I had to sew my own clothing. So at least stylish clothing is now available to the larger person. I have always wondered, back 20-25 years ago, why someone wasn't tapping the plus size market. Money to be made.

I do find it strange that there are few, if any, large male models.

I do find concern about the obesity problem we have in America. Causing so many health issues, disability, etc.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Glamorizing an unhealthy lifestyle. Just like smoking used to do. Obesity will kill you just the same: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, fatty liver...you name it.

I find it a huge turn-off.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Glamorizing an unhealthy lifestyle. Just like smoking used to do. Obesity will kill you just the same: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, fatty liver...you name it.

I find it a huge turn-off.
In your world, do people come in all sizes? Are people over a certain size supposed to hide and not be seen in public?

Large people are not new. People in ads should reflect reality. It's not promotion of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty