Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 12:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_mel View Post
Hi!

Perhaps a strange question but I will ask it anyway ...

I like to wear raggedy clothes. Not only worn out a bit, faded or alike. Really raggedy, like tattered jeans, holey tops with the snapped straps fixed with safety pins and so on.

Anyone else likes that? Or am I just a lone nut job when it comes to that?

I did when I was 17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 01:29 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Well I'm a big ol' **** then with my one pair of jeans with some frayed spots in them The worn jean look has been around since at least the 90's, so a little more than a "second". I wore them in HS in 2008, 2009, 2010. And they are still "a thing". And God forbid someone actually like a trend.
There's a big difference between garment wash type fading and a less conspicuous frayed fabric edge and something that's deliberately tattered, stained, with gaping holes!

Old 03-27-2019, 01:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I have a whole collection of clothes like that. I wear them for yard and house work but not out and about.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:34 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It might be a phase you need to need to pass through. Wearing raggy, holey clothes might satisfy some need. If the old clothing expresses how you feel about yourself, You might want to ask yourself a lot of questions.

Does it get you attention? Does it garner you pity? Do you feel unworthy? Is this a form of rebellion?

In terms of attention seeking, I can guarantee you are receiving negative attention. Is that what you want?

There are many ways to express yourself via the clothes you put on your body. Choosing to wear purposely worn out clothing will set you apart. Just make sure you really understand how you are setting yourself apart.
Well stated. Remember what they say about first impressions and how hard they are to change.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:50 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
So add me to the bandwagon of "no's", but for the following considerations:

1. There is a noticeable difference in how I am treated in public when I am dressed up nicely (especially if wearing eye makeup) vs. dressed casually. I don't even want to imagine how I would be treated (maybe not outright horribly, but I would definitely expect a certain level of disdain or disregard) if I was dressed in "raggedy" clothing, which is not common around here anyway.

2. I would feel too vulnerable with holes/tears/safety pin fixes. For me, clothing serves a certain "security blanket" purpose and I would not feel comfortable with that level of (potential) exposure. Also in part because I don't have the body of a 20-year-old model.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:04 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
A shrink would have a field day with OPs behavior. It is not normal. Either you feel you are undeserving of better, or you like to shock people to draw attention to yourself.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:21 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Wow. It's just clothes, people.

Some of these posts sound like a snooty rich Granny with her nose in the air. Wanna talk about "this says that about you and people are judging!" You sound like a boring old snob, talking like that. Well?

I mean, I'm a 40 year old woman, and I can move comfortably through most social groups. I know what situations demand dressing up, and which permit dressing down. Most people do, I think. At least, most adults.

When a favorite and very comfortable pair of pants got a hole in 'em...I stopped wearing them to the office, sure, but I still wear them to Walmart. It's only my knee hanging out, not my backside, and I really don't care what the people in Walmart (or Target or the gas station or grocery store) think about me. I'm not dressing to set fashion trends or impress anyone on those days. If it's Saturday and I've spent most of it doing housework, or making art, or laying on the couch with a good book and my cat, I can wear my old comfortable pants. If I am going to a BBQ or game night at a friend's house, I can wear them.

And I think it's pretty obvious when someone, especially a young person, since teens are very keen on expressing their own style a lot of the time, is trying to do "a look" versus when they're like...some kind of a sketchy bum. My son's ex-girlfriend was all about 90's grunge music and the accompanying fashion statements, with a dash of emo. She was really cute, in her slashed black jeans and bright flannels over little rock band t-shirts. Was she dressed as one would for a job interview in a posh office? Or, say, a church service? Uh, no, but she had no need to be. That's a time in a person's life when they SHOULD totally be having fun with their clothes.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:37 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
So add me to the bandwagon of "no's", but for the following considerations:

1. There is a noticeable difference in how I am treated in public when I am dressed up nicely (especially if wearing eye makeup) vs. dressed casually. I don't even want to imagine how I would be treated (maybe not outright horribly, but I would definitely expect a certain level of disdain or disregard) if I was dressed in "raggedy" clothing, which is not common around here anyway.

2. I would feel too vulnerable with holes/tears/safety pin fixes. For me, clothing serves a certain "security blanket" purpose and I would not feel comfortable with that level of (potential) exposure. Also in part because I don't have the body of a 20-year-old model.

But wouldn't it be fair to say that OP might feel the exact same way with HER clothing choices? We all have different style preferences.

OP said she LIKED dressing a certain way, BUT she didn't say it's ALL she wears.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:05 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But wouldn't it be fair to say that OP might feel the exact same way with HER clothing choices? We all have different style preferences.

OP said she LIKED dressing a certain way, BUT she didn't say it's ALL she wears.
I'm not sure I understand this response to my post. I merely answered the OP's question and gave my own reasoning. Not sure how you inferred all that additional stuff.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:47 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Just a note to the people who BUY clothes with rips and holes - I have a brand new car to sell you that already has dents, rust, and a flat tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty