U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 03:57 PM

494 posts, read 225,153 times

Advertisements

Would someone please explain the ripped jeans thing as I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 04:26 PM

8,788 posts, read 8,007,823 times
Yes, I wear destroyed denim quite often.

In fact, I have very few pairs of jeans that don't have holes in them.

I have at least 30 pair of white denim jeans and they are all destroyed.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:30 PM

2,338 posts, read 760,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_mel View Post
Hi!

Perhaps a strange question but I will ask it anyway ...

I like to wear raggedy clothes. Not only worn out a bit, faded or alike. Really raggedy, like tattered jeans, holey tops with the snapped straps fixed with safety pins and so on.

Anyone else likes that? Or am I just a lone nut job when it comes to that?

I just saw a really pretty young lady sitting in a local store I was shopping at, and she had these jean type pants on with the knees totally gone. I guess it is some fad, because she didn't look poor, but I really do not get the point.

She did have cute knees though.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:37 PM

11,197 posts, read 6,962,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I don't think there IS an explanation other than, some people like how they look.

Explain mohawks, or long or short haircuts. Explain piercings or tattoos. Explain polo shirts made of fabric that feels unpleasant to the touch, or worse, the polyester pants marketed to old people. Explain sweaters that make you itch. Explain why anyone would pay a company to advertise their brand in the form of a logo on your clothes. Explain the indecisive horror that is...Capri pants. Explain wearing camouflage when you're not in the military, you're not hunting, and it isn't gonna help you blend into the suburb or city environment you're in. Hell, explain pink camo, what is THAT supposed to blend in with?? The magical pink fairy forest?

LOL...it's just as much a mystery as why anybody likes to look the way we like to look, I figure.

But for me, it's "I really liked those pants, and I'm not gonna let a rip stop me from wearing them." Many times the pair in question is some style or something that nobody sells anymore and can't simply or easily be replaced. So like an old pair of shoes that are well broken in and you just don't want to let go of 'em until they are falling off your feet, I'll keep right on wearing them.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:46 PM

8,552 posts, read 2,745,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
It's called, "Poverty Chic" and it has been around in some ways, since the '60s. It's a thumbed nose at wealthy young people's parents and family, which usually goes away when they revert to materialism in their thirties. The style of teen-aged boys wearing pants that hang below their hips, has a related origin. It's a manifestation of being so poor that they have to wear their older brother's hand-me-downs, which are too large to stay up at a normal height. These things may have specific ethnic origins, but are generally adopted by many young people of all types.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:56 PM

11,210 posts, read 19,877,636 times
Why someone would choose to wear ragged clothing and look like a homeless person (IMO) is beyond me but to each their own I guess?

Old 03-27-2019, 07:06 PM

11,070 posts, read 19,939,025 times
My daughter likes jeans with holes and t-shirts that have been cut into strings and then woven together. She also likes safety pins, patched clothes, men's clothes, vests, goth clothes, steampunk clothes, etc. She's shaved half her head and dyed the other half blue before. I think she's just having fun figuring out her style. I never comment negatively on any of it because I assume that will be the one style she decides to stick with.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:53 PM

20,902 posts, read 13,746,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My daughter likes jeans with holes and t-shirts that have been cut into strings and then woven together. She also likes safety pins, patched clothes, men's clothes, vests, goth clothes, steampunk clothes, etc. She's shaved half her head and dyed the other half blue before. I think she's just having fun figuring out her style. I never comment negatively on any of it because I assume that will be the one style she decides to stick with.
Yes. She is going through a phase. We all did, you know. We wore what our friends did, or we copied a celeb as best we could, or bought whichever jeans were current.

Finally, those of us who are older find out what we like to wear, and feel happiest in. At least I hope so.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:34 PM

5,161 posts, read 2,613,647 times
I have pants with holes in them and I have T-shirts that have grease spots on them which I just can't get out and on occasion I've worn them in public, usually when I was doing something like painting or horseback riding or moving and stopped on the way home. But I usually wear the nice pants and the good T-shirts. My shoes, however, are a whole different thing.

I only own one pair and the left one's had a hole in the toe and has been ripping out along the side for years. Now the right shoe has a hole in the toe. The only reason I still wear those shoes is because I need other clothes more right now (bras and pants) and because I'm cheap - as long as the sole is good, I'll wear the shoes. But I also hate, hate, hate shopping for clothes and shoes. Does it bug me that my shoes look shabby. Yeah, a little. But not to the point of wanting to go shoe shopping.

One of these days.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:48 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,498,897 times
Quote:

I intend to someday, be the crazy old lady who wears a lot of jewelry and has a pair of glasses in every color, and wears a lot of hats. I'm almost 62, and not there yet....but SOMEDAY the inner crazy in me is going to burst through. LOL
Hats are too hot; I dye my hair funky colors instead. Aside from that, you're describing me. But I'm a whole year older than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or