Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 02:00 AM

10,829 posts, read 7,202,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_mel View Post
Hi!

Perhaps a strange question but I will ask it anyway ...

I like to wear raggedy clothes. Not only worn out a bit, faded or alike. Really raggedy, like tattered jeans, holey tops with the snapped straps fixed with safety pins and so on.

Anyone else likes that? Or am I just a lone nut job when it comes to that?

OP, why do you like wearing them? Is it any raggedy clothes, or certain ones that have a special meaning to you?

Personally, I don't like to wear ripped or stained clothes. If I really like a garment, I'll go to ridiculous lengths to save it. Stitching up tears, trying all kinds of stain removers, or dye it, or embroider over the stain. Then after all that work, it still looks bad and I get rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,424,976 times
When I get home the first thing I do is get out of my work clothes and throw on a pair of pj's or well worn comfy sweats. My favorite comfy slip on shirt is full of holes. Irritating when a hole gets caught on a drawer knob but comfy as all get out. So yes! I am a fan of raggedy clothes!

Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,964,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It's called, "Poverty Chic" and it has been around in some ways, since the '60s. It's a thumbed nose at wealthy young people's parents and family, which usually goes away when they revert to materialism in their thirties. The style of teen-aged boys wearing pants that hang below their hips, has a related origin. It's a manifestation of being so poor that they have to wear their older brother's hand-me-downs, which are too large to stay up at a normal height. These things may have specific ethnic origins, but are generally adopted by many young people of all types.

I thought that "sagging" was in solidarity with people in jail/prison who are not allowed to have belts. Which is funny when you see someone who gets caught committing a crime because he can't run with his pants like that. One even fell off a roof to his death due to sagging pants. Oh the irony...

Old 03-28-2019, 01:09 PM

37,429 posts, read 45,630,174 times
Quote:
Hi!

I like to wear raggedy clothes. Not only worn out a bit, faded or alike. Really raggedy, like tattered jeans, holey tops with the snapped straps fixed with safety pins and so on.

You’re a nut job.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:10 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,936,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I thought that "sagging" was in solidarity with people in jail/prison who are not allowed to have belts. Which is funny when you see someone who gets caught committing a crime because he can't run with his pants like that. One even fell off a roof to his death due to sagging pants. Oh the irony...

I was in a parking lot once, next door to a car wash place. I was waiting on my husband. I watched a guy trying to vacuum his car. He had saggy pants on. He was dressed nice...but the pants were saggy. Anyway, it was humerous, watching him try to vaccuum out his car. So many times, he'd have to stop and hitch his pants, or try to vaccuum one handed. It had me thinking "I bet he never tries to clean his car with those pants on ever again."

Last edited by Sassybluesy; 03-28-2019 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 06:03 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,446,918 times
I've never understood the appeal of wearing torn, stained, raggedy clothes in public. I may wear things like that when I'm working around the house and yard. But in general, when things get extremely worn out and torn, I just throw them away.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 PM

32,766 posts, read 35,986,074 times
Quote:
Hi!

No safety pins, but I love my ancient jeans. I don't wear them to restaurants.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,484,292 times
I dressed like that... when I was a teenager. Are you young, OP? I tend to see that look a lot more in the younger set.

I am not well-dressed by any stretch of the imagination. When I am not going to work, I tend to dress down quite a bit. Jeans and t-shirts. They aren't usually raggedy, though I do like sweatshirts and such. At work, I am more formal.

Old 03-29-2019, 12:57 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,216,999 times
Quote:
Anyone else likes that?

no, it´s just you.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:52 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,166,920 times
Didn't you ever see pictures of the punk rockers back in the mid 70s? Oh, I guess that was probably before your parents were born...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty