U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:41 PM

244 posts, read 200,532 times

Advertisements

I used to wear jeans that were made with holes in them. But I found when I bought jeans like that, they usually wore out much faster because of the worn areas after washing. So I stopped buying them, plus I prefer regular jeans.

I did have a pair of pajama pants that I wore until they fell apart, but I would have never worn them out of the house.

The closest thing I can think of to raggedy is that I like to cut the sleeves off most of the gym shirts I wear. That's about it though. Sometimes I'll wear them other places if I happen to make other stops after the gym. I also wear them around the house if it's hot weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 PM

8,957 posts, read 9,042,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_mel View Post
Hi! Perhaps a strange question but I will ask it anyway ...

I like to wear raggedy clothes. Not only worn out a bit, faded or alike. Really raggedy, like tattered jeans, holey tops with the snapped straps fixed with safety pins and so on. Anyone else likes that? Or am I just a lone nut job when it comes to that?
You're not alone, but you might want to ask yourself why you do it. It has nothing to do with comfort, so don't pretend that it does. I wonder if you do it because you'd like to look "different," but don't know how to do it by dressing well.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 AM

36 posts, read 11,005 times
Wow, 5 pages of answers ... didn't expect that.

Just a few words of background: yes, I'm quite young, not a teenager anymore, though. I live in England, working part time as a waitress in a punk rock pub/club in the South.

For work I always wear a black dress. It's in good condition and easy to wash (I wash it after every shift and hang it dry). So I never have to worry about work clothes.

Yeah, I like to look "different" when not at work. Plus I have many friends living an alternative lifestyle. Like punks, squatters, buskers and so on. Think that influenced me pretty much.

Also, I grew up dirt poor, so for ages I only had hand me downs to wear, which were mostly pretty much worn out as I got them and often not fitting at all. But I never really fell sad about it. Just became "my style".

I could afford to buy new clothes now, no problem. But I don't want to spend money for it and as said I like super worn out stuff. I like them best just before they fall apart, actually. So I feel sad often when I can't wear something anymore cause it would not stay on me anymore or would be too revealing (like pants totally ripped in the crotch area).

So yeah, that's it, basically ...

Old 04-10-2019, 06:12 AM

10,010 posts, read 4,655,693 times
The only time I wear raggedy clothes is when I'm mowing the yard or gardening. If a bra strap breaks and it can't be fixed it goes in the garbage. I would never leave the house in raggedy clothes; I have too much self pride to go out like that. But I'm 64 and we have different ideas of what is acceptable than someone 20.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I only own one pair and the left one's had a hole in the toe and has been ripping out along the side for years. Now the right shoe has a hole in the toe. The only reason I still wear those shoes is because I need other clothes more right now (bras and pants) and because I'm cheap - as long as the sole is good, I'll wear the shoes. But I also hate, hate, hate shopping for clothes and shoes. Does it bug me that my shoes look shabby. Yeah, a little. But not to the point of wanting to go shoe shopping.
Same here.

I have one pair of ballet flats and they are super worn out now. No holes at the toes yet, but rips at the sides, soles starting to come off and really stretched out. But as long as I can keep them on my feet somehow I won't go for new shoes. Hate shoe shopping. I'm between sizes and I always have a bad time breaking shoes in.

If I could, I would walk barefoot, to be honest.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:45 AM

12,136 posts, read 13,368,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie_mel View Post
Hi!

Perhaps a strange question but I will ask it anyway ...

I like to wear raggedy clothes. Not only worn out a bit, faded or alike. Really raggedy, like tattered jeans, holey tops with the snapped straps fixed with safety pins and so on.

Anyone else likes that? Or am I just a lone nut job when it comes to that?

I couldn’t believe when I saw a clothing store selling jeans like you described as new. I mean holes, bleach stains and all!

I don’t get it. I really don’t get it.

If you want to dress like that just don’t fall asleep on a park bench. Someone may put a couple bucks in your drink.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:51 AM

59 posts, read 15,427 times
I have a drawer in my bedroom where I keep the T-shirts I wear.

I have a box in the garage where I keep old T-shirts to use for rags.

When I do laundry it's a tough decision which T-shirts go where.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I couldnít believe when I saw a clothing store selling jeans like you described as new. I mean holes, bleach stains and all!
That is sooo stupid, I agree with that.

Also, those pre-ripped and distressed jeans are made by workers in Bangladesh or alike under very poor working conditions. Watched a documentary about it some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
If you want to dress like that just donít fall asleep on a park bench. Someone may put a couple bucks in your drink.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:57 PM

11,373 posts, read 7,067,186 times
It's funny what this reminds me of.

I lived in Cincinnati, OH in the late 1990s. I had many punk/squatter friends. Real crusty street people, but they rocked the punk style like none other. And the thing was, the reason they dressed in clothes that were often pinned or sloppily sewn together, ripped up and so on, was because they were scrounging their clothes and repairing and wearing whatever they could. They had no money!

They were fun friends, always knew where the best concerts and parties were, some were very talented artists. Starving artists, but talented. I was young and it was always an adventure to spend time with them.

But I laughed and laughed when this wacky little off-beat boutique opened up on the strip where the bars and record stores were. Little gentrified quirky-but-fancy places were starting to move into that area. A coffee shop one day, a "boutique" clothing store the next. Just near the Sudsy Malone's Rock & Roll Laundry and Bar, which was a total hole in the wall (loved that place though.) And that clothing shop, they sold ripped, distressed, safety pinned and patched up "punk" pants...like pre-Hot-Topic, pre-Tripps right? And they wanted over $100 for them. I about lost it, right there in the store. Laughed so hard. They figured they were appealing to the youth of the area but without considering that the only way one of these punks would wear those pants, is if they stole them.

I dunno maybe some rich poser kids came from the college that was not too far off, with a pocket full of their parents' money or something. Maybe that's who they were trying to sell them to.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:30 AM

27 posts, read 5,057 times
Kanye West has been trying to make this look a thing for a while. Jeans with holes in them have become really popular. Worn out sweaters and shirts will probably become popular soon. The hobo chic and the worn out look is big in several different communities, I personally like it. It shows a shift in society and culture that doesn't put such a big emphasis on spending a lot of money on brand names, and kind of evens the playing field with fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or