U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM

30 posts, read 8,527 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Perhaps a strange question but I will ask it anyway ...

I like to wear raggedy clothes. Not only worn out a bit, faded or alike. Really raggedy, like tattered jeans, holey tops with the snapped straps fixed with safety pins and so on.

Anyone else likes that? Or am I just a lone nut job when it comes to that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:49 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,327,834 times
You mean out in public? No. However, back in college I did go through a phase when I liked wearing ragged hand-me-down flannel or wool shirts, a beat up old fedora of my Dad's, and patched army surplus khakis because I thought the clothes lent me an imaginary image of carefree, outdoorsy independence. Quickly outgrew it. I don't have to play "dress up" or put on airs just to impress strangers. Actually buying clothes that come with holes or tatters right off the hanger is stupid IMHO...and looks cheap/slutty/as if you have no respect for yourself, and also that you don't have the strength of character to resist the fashion trend of the second.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 01:59 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

2,161 posts, read 955,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
.Actually buying clothes that come with holes or tatters right off the hanger is stupid IMHO...and looks cheap/slutty/as if you have no respect for yourself, and also that you don't have the strength of character to resist the fashion trend of the second.
Well I'm a big ol' **** then with my one pair of jeans with some frayed spots in them The worn jean look has been around since at least the 90's, so a little more than a "second". I wore them in HS in 2008, 2009, 2010. And they are still "a thing". And God forbid someone actually like a trend.

OP: No, I don't wear super raggedy or worn out clothes. Some days I do like to go for a slight grungier 90's inspired look, but nothing extreme. Wear what you like, but be aware there is a time and place for everything. For example, I'd never wear that to work or a job interview.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 AM

24,615 posts, read 5,002,032 times
No I don't wear raggedy clothes....but if you do, keep it to your home or a very low key get together....

Please, not to school, work, parties etc.

You might want to consider the image you are presenting as opposed to your comfort level or love of these clothes...

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

5,516 posts, read 1,950,751 times
For ME, there's a time and a place for everything. So, if I'm out in the country, I don't wear good clothes. And we go out to the country a lot.

And for ME, I'd never use a safety pin for my bras. I'm big chested...it'd be my luck that the pin rips the strap, and then I'm SOL regarding my bra. BUT to each their own.

OP, I'm assuming you know when it's time to polish up, and when it's fine to be...less polished.

I intend to someday, be the crazy old lady who wears a lot of jewelry and has a pair of glasses in every color, and wears a lot of hats. I'm almost 62, and not there yet....but SOMEDAY the inner crazy in me is going to burst through. LOL

Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Well I'm a big ol' **** then with my one pair of jeans with some frayed spots in them The worn jean look has been around since at least the 90's, so a little more than a "second". I wore them in HS in 2008, 2009, 2010. And they are still "a thing". And God forbid someone actually like a trend.

OP: No, I don't wear super raggedy or worn out clothes. Some days I do like to go for a slight grungier 90's inspired look, but nothing extreme. Wear what you like, but be aware there is a time and place for everything. For example, I'd never wear that to work or a job interview.

The worn jeans look has been around longer than that even. It used to earn you "cool points" if your levis were faded and worn. I remember my ex husband having a pair of levis that were very worn, very faded, and they were his favorite pair. This was back in the 70's and 80's.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

24,615 posts, read 5,002,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
For ME, there's a time and a place for everything. So, if I'm out in the country, I don't wear good clothes. And we go out to the country a lot.

And for ME, I'd never use a safety pin for my bras. I'm big chested...it'd be my luck that the pin rips the strap, and then I'm SOL regarding my bra. BUT to each their own.

OP, I'm assuming you know when it's time to polish up, and when it's fine to be...less polished.

I intend to someday, be the crazy old lady who wears a lot of jewelry and has a pair of glasses in every color, and wears a lot of hats. I'm almost 62, and not there yet....but SOMEDAY the inner crazy in me is going to burst through. LOL

A little older than you and I'm close to the crazy old lady. Love my hats. Jewelry. Glasses in every room so I can read...

Fun.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

20,712 posts, read 13,584,998 times
It might be a phase you need to need to pass through. Wearing raggy, holey clothes might satisfy some need. If the old clothing expresses how you feel about yourself, You might want to ask yourself a lot of questions.

Does it get you attention? Does it garner you pity? Do you feel unworthy? Is this a form of rebellion?

In terms of attention seeking, I can guarantee you are receiving negative attention. Is that what you want?

There are many ways to express yourself via the clothes you put on your body. Choosing to wear purposely worn out clothing will set you apart. Just make sure you really understand how you are setting yourself apart.

It is a free country. You can dress however you want, as long as you meet standards of decency.

Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
A little older than you and I'm close to the crazy old lady. Love my hats. Jewelry. Glasses in every room so I can read...

Fun.

It WILL be fun! I'm looking forward to that day!

Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,375,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

LOL. Me, either. With my luck, the safety pin would spring apart and stab me in the balloon.
There's enough pressure there as it is. But, I never wear that contraption unless I'm going out, and then often a bathing suit top instead.

Actually, looking down, I see that my shirt is ripping at the afore-mentioned pressure point. More comfort!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or