U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2019, 05:16 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,980 posts, read 4,640,181 times
Reputation: 21118

Advertisements

I do my own manicure but I get acrylic fills and a standard pedicure when I don't do it myself. At the most recent place I was going to it was $16 for a fill and $22 for the pedicure. But my favorite tech left and I did not care for the way the other one did my nails so I'm going to a new place today and they charge $27 for a fill and $25 for a pedicure. I usually go once every 3 weeks although I really should do my fill every other week as my nails grow very fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2019, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
20,540 posts, read 11,357,624 times
Reputation: 30850
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My wife gets hers for free. She keeps toe and finger nail clippers and emery boards close by and does it herself. She said she has a lot of other things she could use that money on. She also has never worn any make up for the same reason. Why hide under make up? You are who you are, according to her!
Nope, that is not a pedicure or manicure so it's irrelevant to this question.

Moving on.

It really varies here in Denver. We have some places that are like the NYC mani/pedi only places and they are relatively inexpensive. $40 for a mani/pedi which includes a basic hand and foot massage as part of it.

Polish change typically runs from about $10 each for hand and feet.

On the other hand, if you go to a nice salon, it's more like $75 for both. And a polish change is more like $20 at a place like this.

In both cases, these are the base price, and they go up from there with lengthier and/or more elaborate services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 07:54 AM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,443 posts, read 3,687,778 times
Reputation: 9551
Previously in Chicago with a mani-pedi $54, including tip, their services were very well worth it. Here in middle Tennessee it's the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 08:00 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,459 posts, read 22,916,443 times
Reputation: 48216
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
It really varies. I will spend more to go to my salon where I know everything is very clean (autoclaved) over a salon where they pay their girls crap and spread toenail fungi. There is a good place around the corner from me and a gel mani is $45 and a regular pedi is $35. Itís clean and pretty but no extra spa stuff added on. They donít allow tips, which is a bonus I guess...but I feel so weird not tipping.

Where I go my super spa (reclining zero gravitychair, warm blanket, neck roll, drinks, foot massage, keratin treatment) pedi is $88 and my gel mani is $40. I like the spa treatment so I always get my pedis there. I might get a mani somewhere else if pressed for time but usually do both together.
There is a local, upscale, hair stylist here who does not allow tipping. It's weird. It makes me feel uncomfortable too.

Today I am going to a spa to have a natural salt treatment with a massage and foot soak. I have no idea what I am in for, but it sounds interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 08:10 AM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,459 posts, read 22,916,443 times
Reputation: 48216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My wife gets hers for free. She keeps toe and finger nail clippers and emery boards close by and does it herself. She said she has a lot of other things she could use that money on. She also has never worn any make up for the same reason. Why hide under make up? You are who you are, according to her!
You don't get mani-pedis and neither does your wife. I don't want to be rude, but no one cares. Spend your money how you like. It sounds as though you are bragging about your low maintenance wife, and your post comes off as judgmental.

All of us are aware of nail clippers and emery boards. What are we supposed to do? Have an "A Ha" moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 08:31 AM
 
1,506 posts, read 507,563 times
Reputation: 3890
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You don't get mani-pedis and neither does your wife. I don't want to be rude, but no one cares. Spend your money how you like. It sounds as though you are bragging about your low maintenance wife, and your post comes off as judgmental.

All of us are aware of nail clippers and emery boards. What are we supposed to do? Have an "A Ha" moment?
As someone who has never had a professional manicure or pedicure in my life (and I'm 66), I find this thread extremely interesting- I've always wondered about what they cost because I see so many women in minimum-wage jobs with ultra-fancy nail treatments. OK, some may be DIY (or friends doing each others' manicures) but- wow. I do the math on getting one of these weekly and wonder how minimum-wage workers can afford it. They seem particularly popular among checkout clerks at stores since their hands are always in view.

This thread was definitely an "ah-ha" moment for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 11:49 AM
 
9,391 posts, read 4,728,443 times
Reputation: 32360
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
As someone who has never had a professional manicure or pedicure in my life (and I'm 66), I find this thread extremely interesting- I've always wondered about what they cost because I see so many women in minimum-wage jobs with ultra-fancy nail treatments. OK, some may be DIY (or friends doing each others' manicures) but- wow. I do the math on getting one of these weekly and wonder how minimum-wage workers can afford it. They seem particularly popular among checkout clerks at stores since their hands are always in view.

This thread was definitely an "ah-ha" moment for me.
Weekly?? No way. At most I go once a month. And thatís just during the summer when the toes are on display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 12:34 PM
 
Location: The Ozone Layer, apparently...
1,832 posts, read 635,567 times
Reputation: 3751
NYC -

You can always find an upscale place to charge you more in NYC, but the typical mani-pedi is $20 to $25 with your choice of gel or shellac, and some include French Mani in this offering. You can also get varying bonuses here - oil treatments, facials, mini massages a drink, tea etc for the base price. Some places are actually cheaper - Ive seen as low as $15 offered.

Other places give you the basic mani-pedi and offer you a cornucopia of bonuses for a few dollars more.

Why so cheap? Too much competition. You can find several nail places and hair salons on one block alone. I mention hair salons because many of them offer mani-pedi too. They each have to keep coming up with "a better mouse trap" or gimmick to get your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 02:15 PM
 
Location: STL area
949 posts, read 466,567 times
Reputation: 2087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
NYC -

You can always find an upscale place to charge you more in NYC, but the typical mani-pedi is $20 to $25 with your choice of gel or shellac, and some include French Mani in this offering. You can also get varying bonuses here - oil treatments, facials, mini massages a drink, tea etc for the base price. Some places are actually cheaper - Ive seen as low as $15 offered.

Other places give you the basic mani-pedi and offer you a cornucopia of bonuses for a few dollars more.

Why so cheap? Too much competition. You can find several nail places and hair salons on one block alone. I mention hair salons because many of them offer mani-pedi too. They each have to keep coming up with "a better mouse trap" or gimmick to get your business.
Competition...and stuff like this

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/n...protected.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 03:57 PM
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,459 posts, read 22,916,443 times
Reputation: 48216
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Weekly?? No way. At most I go once a month. And thatís just during the summer when the toes are on display.
There's a whole lot of assuming going on by some.

I just had my first pedicure since October, in preparation for sandal season. From March to October, my pedicures last 3 weeks. I will have pedicures occasionally in the Winter - especially in I am traveling to someplace warm.

I keep my fingernails manicured all year. Sometimes I just have a change of polish. I like having well groomed hands. I do not really enjoy the process - but I love the result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top