U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:34 PM

48 posts, read 5,796 times

Advertisements

Everyone looked elegant in the fifties.
Today it's half and half.
The show "two broke girls" for example.
Caroline looked like pure class.
Like she was inspired by Jackie Onassis or Audrey Hepburn fashion-wise and then put her own modern twist on it.
Max looked like she rummaged through Peggy Bundy's trash to get her wardrobe.
Who looked classier in their leggings and attire in general?
Caroline of course.
People should use old school fashions as an example to inspire their outfits for today.
But they should do it the Caroline way and not the Max way because the Caroline way is the classy way.

Last edited by Iwdst57731; 04-03-2019 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 01:33 PM

19,135 posts, read 18,230,292 times
I remember the song on the radio about No Chemise, Please. And my aunt ridiculed it, saying that in HER day, a chemise meant a slip.

I never got a sack dress but in the '60s I had a jumper that was a shift. It was black and easy to wear, dress it up, dress it down. Wore it with flats and black fish net stockings.

The '60s had the best clothes because women's clothes finally became comfortable and the styles were changing all the time--it was exciting. Skirts got shorter and shorter and it seemed that all I ever did was cut hems off skirts and re-hem them. Then cut the same skirt again when the style got even shorter, and then maybe even again. It got so that it was barely even worth buying a skirt because there was nothing to them.

But the styles all seemed fresh and new. I had a turquoise and white polka dot trapeze dress that I loved. BIG white polka dots. White linen shift with green outline stitching. Buttercup yellow short dress with scalloped hemline. But I couldn't wear nice clothes to work--had to wear dumpy dresses that were not in style, long skirts. Hated having to stop at the grocery store on the way home because I didn't want anyone to see me in my dumpy dresses that were required for work.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:59 PM

14,528 posts, read 8,013,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://divinestitches.wordpress.com...rend-ill-skip/

Here are some pics of "the Sack" dress. I was only 12 years old in 1958, so I never wore this exact style. But the "sack" which became the "chemise" did influence how we dressed into the 1960s. Thank goodness we did not have to wear the tightly cinched waists of the previous few years. Of course that is the point, isn't it? Once the market is saturated with one style, the designers must bring out new things, and that will likely be a reaction to the old things.

Here are some pics of the chemise style in the 1960s.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/314196...14809/?lp=true

Also note the mini skirt.

I graduated in 1964. I know I wore the chemise style, because I remember sewing them for myself. This was much less confining than previous styles.
Cut in the right proportion and with the right fabric they can actually be very flattering and not really "sack-like" at all.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:20 PM

33,360 posts, read 9,938,744 times
I didn't, but Jackie Kennedy wore "the sack," well beyond the '50s--and often.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 PM

14,612 posts, read 13,269,235 times
Quote:
Clothes, or dresses, from the 1960s were beautiful. They skimmed the body and were trim. They tended to be knee length or shorter, and were often worn with low heeled but dressy shoes. My only complaint about dresses from that time was the ubiquity of the jewel neck, which never looks good on me. I learned to create a V by putting a necklace at the neck. But often, women wore brooches to the left or right of the neckline. Brooches were quite stylish.

Jaqueline Kennedy popularized the pillbox hat. But hats as a daily part of women’s wardrobe went away in the sixties. This also happened with men. JFK gave his inaugural speech hatless, and after that men began to abandon hats. For women, this meant fixating on our hair, which we increasingly wore in sprayed, perfect dos.

Hats never totally went away, but they became less essential.

It was all before my time; I saw this style of clothing in my mother's wardrobe though, and I recognized pretty fast that it was something ( although outdated,) that would actually look good on me. She passed some of her costume jewelry to me from that era; I incorporated it in my contemporary outfits and was very pleased with it.
I liked the 70ies look very much; the bell bottoms, the corduroy pants and all. That era of style looked very cool and "sporty," it just wasn't quite "me."

Luckily it passed soon enough, so came the eighties, and the "cool" went onto the whole new level.

That mentioned above slouchy longer blouson style was briefly revived in Europe, and pared with moderately short skirts/dresses narrow at the bottom, it was creating a similar effect of that "sack" dress of the 50ies-60es. ( In fact now when I think about it, I incorporated the coat from the 60ies into it all, and it looked amazing)))
So I kinda had my chance to wear at least something reminiscent of that era, jewelry including.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:07 PM

5,542 posts, read 8,516,830 times
The Sack was sacked before I was born, but I like the silhouette so I hope it makes a comeback.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

664 posts, read 834,220 times
You can look up "tent dress" or "trapeze dress" and find lots of them. More casual than formal these days, though.

Old Today, 09:34 AM

10,003 posts, read 9,141,802 times
In the late 50s and early 60s in high school we wore shirtwaist dresses and flats. Another popular style was pleated skirts (some reversible) with sweaters; bobby socks and saddle shoes.

Old Today, 04:25 PM
BMI

7,078 posts, read 4,246,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwdst57731 View Post
Oh yes Audrey Hepburn. She was very fashionable. She used to wear leggings too. (They were also trendy in the 60s) They looked really good on her because she had the physique of a Romanian gymnast.
Love her! Such a classy looking lady. I can't stand the white trash look. But Audrey never looked like white trash. She always looked like a princess.
Not sure about Audrey Hepburn having the phtysique of a Romanian gymnast....
they are usually short...like 52 or less....Audrey was tallish...about 57...
infact she was a pro ballet dancer but switched to acting as she was considered a bit too tall,
same with Brigitte Bardot...was also was also a ballet dancer but had same issue as Audrey Hepburn,
too tall at almost 58.

Old Today, 10:34 PM

14,612 posts, read 13,269,235 times
Quote:
Clothes, or dresses, from the 1960s were beautiful. They skimmed the body and were trim. They tended to be knee length or shorter, and were often worn with low heeled but dressy shoes. My only complaint about dresses from that time was the ubiquity of the jewel neck, which never looks good on me. I learned to create a V by putting a necklace at the neck. But often, women wore brooches to the left or right of the neckline. Brooches were quite stylish.

Jaqueline Kennedy popularized the pillbox hat. But hats as a daily part of women’s wardrobe went away in the sixties. This also happened with men. JFK gave his inaugural speech hatless, and after that men began to abandon hats. For women, this meant fixating on our hair, which we increasingly wore in sprayed, perfect dos.

Hats never totally went away, but they became less essential.

You are right - now when I think about it, this jewel neck was kinda a standard thing back then ( which I am not big fan of either.)
I guess it was meant either for brooches - yes, or those multi-strand shimmery necklaces.

I do like however those "roll collars" on sack dresses that came in place in the 50ies and 60ies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty