Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 06:29 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times

Advertisements

I've lost quite a bit of weight and am continuing to lose a little more each week so I find I am having to buy new clothes a lot. It's a lot more fun for me to shop now that I am a size 6 than it was when I was a size 14 especially since I am also vertically challenged. But once I get a few more main pieces I could go without buying anything new for a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 09:59 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I buy when I fall in love with things and they make me happy.

I would not purposely not shop (I don't really shop in stores, mostly online) for some arbitrary reason or challenge.

On the flip side, I don't shop just to shop.

I'm a shopper...I enjoy the act of shopping, but it doesn't always translate into 'buying'.

I have this aggravating thing, where...I might have $100 gift card to Macy's let's say...and nothing at Macy's is good enough for me. I mean...here I've got FREE MONEY, and NOTHING is good enough for me. I don't get it. It makes no sense. LOL

Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,016 times
I am doing this now. Have not bought clothes since March 10th. Have a lot of clothes.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:57 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,426 times
I found this old thread of mine & decided to update it. I did really good until end of Jun when summer came in full swing & I couldn't stand the sight of synthetic fabric on my body. It was too hot & I really wanted some linen materials for comfort.
Since first week of July is my birthday, I decided to treat myself & break my No shopping challenge. Goal 1 summer friendly outfit (top and bottom, got it from Old navy). By the time my Old Navy items arrived (I order online because I am petite size), amazon prime day was here and I had few things on my list.

I decided to extend my birthday week break from challenge to birthday month break. Nordstrom anniversary sale came toward end of month & I ended up ordering few clothes from both Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack. By the time all the items reached me, we are in August & I realize this is getting out of control. There will always be a reason to shop unless I get back on track. So I got back on challenge after doing some more shopping. I had to return several items & I always return in store. I did buy few more things with the money I got from returning. I came home with new bags & hubby said, "what happened to your challenge?". I told him, it was from the return money so technically its last month shopping just delayed.

So I am back on it, I enjoyed it the break and the challenge session. I feel my closet is much more robust due to this.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:49 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I've lost quite a bit of weight and am continuing to lose a little more each week so I find I am having to buy new clothes a lot. It's a lot more fun for me to shop now that I am a size 6 than it was when I was a size 14 especially since I am also vertically challenged. But once I get a few more main pieces I could go without buying anything new for a year.
Congratulations to you.....(and me). I, too am buying new clothes, but I'm down to an 8 from a 14 (and then some). I got rid of another bag of "big" clothes this morning. One more little shopping trip for Fall and I'm done shopping, too!

Old 08-22-2019, 11:59 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
This is really easy for me and I do it regularly. Now you did say NEW clothes! I get new to me clothes at the thrift store all the time. Works great for me. I think women regularly buy clothes that are too small and fail to return them. They think/wish they will lose weight and shrink into them. Of course that seldom happens and eventually they clean out the closet! My thrift store always has great clothes that are are barely or have never actually been worn.

Have you ever noticed it's almost impossible to find men's pants at a thrift store? Most men buy pants that fit and keep them till they are worn out. The sizing is straightforward. If only women's clothes were like that! Sizes on women's clothes mean nothing. They differ, even within the same brand. And of course with the advent of Chinese manufacturing it's become worse. I have a 5X shirt in my closet right now that doesn't fit. It's too SMALL! I originally bought it as a gift for my BF but I never gave it to him. As soon as it arrived I knew it would never fit him. I guess eventually I will donate it!

Old 08-22-2019, 01:28 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
I was actually thinking of skipping my favorite brand's Fall/Winter 2019 collection, since I have enough cold weather clothes that I don't think I need more of them since it doesn't get very cold where I live. However, I'm just too tempted by the Spring/Summer collections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty