U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:30 AM

3,581 posts, read 1,499,440 times

Advertisements

I’m not sure that Kohl’s does it a lot better. I disagree that Kohl’s doesn’t inflate prices. I wouldn’t buy any of their merchandise except some of the makeup at full price. Most of the items are on sale most of the time and aren’t worth full value. They rely on people who shop the sales and use Kohl’s cash. For example, you can often buy many of the same brand name underwear brand at Target, except it is much cheaper full price than it is on sale at Kohl’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:27 AM

134 posts, read 108,347 times
I love shopping at Penny's and seldom shop at Kohl. Not sure why, maybe because I have shopped at Penny's my whole life? I will say that I think Penny's web site is horrible. I seldon buy anything online from Penny's.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

13,469 posts, read 13,187,647 times
Kohl's has better quality stuff than JCP when it comes to clothes and more "classic" type items. I work from home and rarely need "office" clothes, but Kohl's is where I go every year to refresh my conference and client meeting wardrobe. Some of the pieces I've gotten there are still in rotation a decade later. Anything I've bought from JC Penney has looked outdated and worn after a few uses.

It's also a more pleasant environment to shop in.

Old Today, 09:52 AM

8,832 posts, read 13,029,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I donít like either of them much. Kohlís has a less cluttered layout, but I didnít think the prices were competitive when I went there shopping for baby clothes recently. I donít see the appeal. I can do better shopping the sales at Carterís and filling in the gaps with Target and Walmart.

For adult clothes for myself, I prefer shopping the sale racks at Nordstrom (and .com) and get higher quality clothes at prices competitive with or better than regular priced items at places like Kohlís or Penneyís.
Nordstrom Rack is great too if you have that by you. It's like the discount store for Nordstrom and they have a lot of nice things. It's similar to like Saks Off 5th etc

Old Today, 09:54 AM

8,832 posts, read 13,029,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The Kohl's stores by me always look a lot messier than JC Penny's, not that Penny's looks so great these days. JC Penny's has more inventory in non-apparel items, including furniture. It's more like a real department store, whereas Kohl's is more like TJ Maxx or a Marshall's, at least in my area. One of the Kohl's stores near me is attached to a mall.
Kohl's is different from Marshalls. Each Marshalls has different things, thus if you buy something @ the Marshalls in one town, you can't go to another Marshalls and return it, it has to be returned @ the same Marshalls it was bought @. I wager TJ Maxx is the same. Kohl's carries most of the same stuff across all their stores.

I find Marshalls has more high end things than Kohls. I see a lot of shoes specifically like Ermenigildo Zegna or Jessica Simpson. Kohl's doesn't carry stuff like that.

Old Today, 10:03 AM

36,230 posts, read 41,021,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
JCP inflates prices to promote sales when, in reality, "sale" prices are often near regular retail.
I agree with most of what you posted, but not this one, because Kohls is literally designed around this model. They routinely merchandize their products with an inflated "regularly priced," number to make it appear as if "their" price is a deep discount. It's not.

I'm not shocked or appalled by that, but it is their standard sales tactic.

Old Today, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Kohl's is different from Marshalls. Each Marshalls has different things, thus if you buy something @ the Marshalls in one town, you can't go to another Marshalls and return it, it has to be returned @ the same Marshalls it was bought @. I wager TJ Maxx is the same. Kohl's carries most of the same stuff across all their stores.

I find Marshalls has more high end things than Kohls. I see a lot of shoes specifically like Ermenigildo Zegna or Jessica Simpson. Kohl's doesn't carry stuff like that.
This. The Marshalls/TJ Maxx family receives overstocks from higher end companies than Kohls generally stocks.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Nordstrom Rack is great too if you have that by you. It's like the discount store for Nordstrom and they have a lot of nice things. It's similar to like Saks Off 5th etc
Yep. Every time I've needed formalwear, for a black tie wedding, or one of my spouse's military balls, Nordstrom Rack is the go-to. $250 full length formal gown last summer for $29.99. No joke. Hit and miss on size selection, but I've always found something.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

3,900 posts, read 824,800 times
Does anyone remember Mervyn’s department store? I don’t know if they were in every state, but they were similar to JCP and Kohl’s. Not really high-end merchandise, but sometimes I was able to find a great deal on something, not necessarily clothing but small kitchen appliances or maybe towels. I kind of miss that store.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

1,074 posts, read 462,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The Kohl's stores by me always look a lot messier than JC Penny's, not that Penny's looks so great these days. JC Penny's has more inventory in non-apparel items, including furniture. It's more like a real department store, whereas Kohl's is more like TJ Maxx or a Marshall's, at least in my area. One of the Kohl's stores near me is attached to a mall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have been to Kohl's many times and have never been impressed. I believe the only thing I have ever purchased there is a denim jacket. Their petite section is a joke compared to JCP, however JCP's petite section seems to be geared towards senior citizens, perhaps because I live in Florida. Every once in a while I luck out and find something there. The oldest JCP in my area is at a local mall and it always smells musty and like mildew. The one nearest me isn't much better and it's the smallest one in the county.
I agree wholeheartedly with both of these. Every time I visit Kohl's (rarely), I wonder what I was thinking. The store is a mess, the merchandise is cheap crap, overpriced, lines are long and move slowly. Heck, Wal-mart's clothing section is more organized than Kohl's in these parts. The Kohl's cash program is ridiculous... I got totally screwed once on a return where I had either used or earned Kohl's cash (I got docked way more than was either unearned or rightfully forfeited). At least with JCP it's a straight coupon that gets proportionately applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effielin View Post
I love shopping at Penny's and seldom shop at Kohl. Not sure why, maybe because I have shopped at Penny's my whole life? I will say that I think Penny's web site is horrible. I seldon buy anything online from Penny's.
Same here. I grew up with malls anchored by JCP and Sears. I usually manage to find something I like at JCP. Maybe it really is childhood brand affinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty