U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

36,235 posts, read 41,033,634 times

Advertisements

I grew up with a mall anchored by a JCP and a Sears (formerly a Montgomery Ward), which may be why I associate JCP with dead malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

5,127 posts, read 5,007,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Kohlís is thriving? I have been to one a few times recently with my wife, and there were very few customers, and it was very hard to find a cashier. Maybe a geographic difference, though this article is not optimistic.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-k...-idUSKCN1NP1BM
If I ever go to the one near me on the weekend, there is always a long line and this is one with multiple cashiers. I haven't bought anything there but my parents shop there frequently with all of their deals and discounts that they pile up. I think it appeals to a certain demographic.

Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM

5,959 posts, read 4,782,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Kohlís is thriving? I have been to one a few times recently with my wife, and there were very few customers, and it was very hard to find a cashier. Maybe a geographic difference, though this article is not optimistic.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-k...-idUSKCN1NP1BM
i much prefer going to JCPenney - if i went shopping

Well i did order some towels and bathmats from them last week. Love their Liz Claiborne line

Now Kohls - all their tops i would like at first glance were usually made of rayon. I don't like that fabric.

Then their sizing - I'd have to get something in 2x when medium would be in a normal store

But like i said - not a in person shopper at all

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

901 posts, read 723,480 times
The best thing I have ever bought from Kohl's was a mirror that was "on sale" the regular price was $99.99 the sign said it was on sale for $49.99, took it to the register and it rang up at $9.99! Someone messed up, not me though. Even the cashier was like "good find, are there any more?"

I really don't like shopping there that often though, I cannot stand the whole Kohls cash thing.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

3,483 posts, read 3,099,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
What did Kohl's do right that JCPenney did wrong?

While Kohl's and JCPenney compete in the same market segment, Kohl's is thriving while JCPenney is struggling. Both carry comparable brands from the lower end to the upper mid range.

Is it Kohl's more modern stores? Is it because most Kohl's stores are located outside of malls? Is it because Kohl's has more agreements with major celebrities?
Kohls is FAR from thriving, but I think you and many others here have hinted on why they are not suffering as bad as some other stores.

1. Kohls seem to be located in much much less expensive areas. I.E., low rent areas where square feet is significantly less expensive than other areas. So, they have much lower rent overhead.

2. JC Penny is often located as anchor in many malls across America. Mall square footage is extremely expensive.

3. Kohls has what looks to me to be about a quarter of the employees working at any given time that JC Penny does. Again, lower salary overhead and lower cost per employee (salary + benefits + workers comp ins +payroll tax, etc.).

Again, neither one is "thriving" and neither is threatening the brick and mortar dominance of Norstrom or Neiman Marcus, but the difference could be due to business model (location, #of employees, overhead, etc.).

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

13,483 posts, read 13,192,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Kohls is FAR from thriving, but I think you and many others here have hinted on why they are not suffering as bad as some other stores.

1. Kohls seem to be located in much much less expensive areas. I.E., low rent areas where square feet is significantly less expensive than other areas. So, they have much lower rent overhead.

2. JC Penny is often located as anchor in many malls across America. Mall square footage is extremely expensive.

3. Kohls has what looks to me to be about a quarter of the employees working at any given time that JC Penny does. Again, lower salary overhead and lower cost per employee (salary + benefits + workers comp ins +payroll tax, etc.).

Again, neither one is "thriving" and neither is threatening the brick and mortar dominance of Norstrom or Neiman Marcus, but the difference could be due to business model (location, #of employees, overhead, etc.).
This is true. There are a bunch of ETFs right now that contain only stocks of online retailers or short bricks n mortar retailers. Most people shop online.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

12,228 posts, read 7,248,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
JCP inflates prices to promote sales when, in reality, "sale" prices are often near regular retail.
Kohl's does this as well, which is one of the main reasons I don't shop there. Their regular prices are crazy expensive for the quality of clothing. And often it seems like the majority of their sales are buy one get one half off. I have no interest in buying an overpriced shirt just to get another shirt at a reasonable price. And even when they actually have a 60% off sale, it's not a good sale. It's more in line with what the price should actually be.

Even Kohl's clearance section is outrageous. I can buy a dress from the clearance section at Nordstrom or Banana Republic for cheaper since Kohl's will typically have a $100 JLo dress on "clearance" for 40% off. Really?! $60 on clearance when it was probably always 50-60% off before being moved to the clearance section?

But of course, if they priced their clothing correctly, the cashiers wouldn't be able to get out their fat sharpie and circle the "$89.67" you saved on 2 shirts. As if anyone would actually be paying over $100 for 2 shirts from Kohls.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

14,679 posts, read 13,299,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Kohl's has better quality stuff than JCP when it comes to clothes and more "classic" type items. I work from home and rarely need "office" clothes, but Kohl's is where I go every year to refresh my conference and client meeting wardrobe. Some of the pieces I've gotten there are still in rotation a decade later. Anything I've bought from JC Penney has looked outdated and worn after a few uses.

It's also a more pleasant environment to shop in.

That's my impression (of the local Kohl's at least), when it comes to the women's clothing department.
Kohl's seems to operate in a more "safe" mode - i.e. a lot of pieces there are of a more simple structure in terms of cuts/colors - something women would reach out for on a daily basis, and easily "re-combine" with other pieces.
JC Penny seems to strive for more "challenging," "office-environment" kind of stuff, that WILL look dated pretty fast after few initial "show-offs."

Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

2,191 posts, read 2,292,556 times
I feel it is the opposite way around. I personally find JC Penney to have a lot of really great classic menswear items. Their in house brands Stafford and St. Johns Bay offer great deals on well made clothings.

Kohls on the other hand I feel is a notch down below JC Penney. They carry come of the same brands but more lower end or limited variations as well. I am never tempted to purchase anything when I visit my Kohls.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

30,233 posts, read 12,913,451 times
Kohl's store brand stuff isn't great and the quality has gotten worse over time. They exclude more and more brands from the % off deals, and this year quit allowing percent off deals to be used on any toys. The stores are not orderly, it doesn't seem like anyone is in charge of ordering. The whole Kohl's cash thing is like a bad joke it expires so quickly that unless I put a reminder in my phone it always expires. I think they will fold like Mervyn's did. I find fewer and fewer reasons to shop at Kohl's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty