U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:14 PM

14,694 posts, read 13,303,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I feel it is the opposite way around. I personally find JC Penney to have a lot of really great classic menswear items. Their in house brands Stafford and St. Johns Bay offer great deals on well made clothings.

Kohls on the other hand I feel is a notch down below JC Penney. They carry come of the same brands but more lower end or limited variations as well. I am never tempted to purchase anything when I visit my Kohls.

I wouldn't be shopping at Kohl's for men's clothing either. ( At least at the local one.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:00 PM

3,192 posts, read 1,760,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The Kohl's stores by me always look a lot messier than JC Penny's, not that Penny's looks so great these days. JC Penny's has more inventory in non-apparel items, including furniture. It's more like a real department store, whereas Kohl's is more like TJ Maxx or a Marshall's, at least in my area. One of the Kohl's stores near me is attached to a mall.
The messy Kohl’s locations are those used to clearance out end of season remnants from the flagship stores in wealthier areas. We had both kinds within about 20 miles of us.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:27 PM

3,192 posts, read 1,760,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Many factors, so I am going to name just a few:
Kohl's goes with the time while JCP seems to be stuck in the last century. The stores look dark, cramped and cluttered/unorganized.
Kohl's has a partnership with Amazon and sells Amazon-branded products in all stores to help drive traffic.
Kohl's is usually a part of a strip mall or a free standing building, while JCPenny is usually located in mediocre malls. Malls are declining for a while now.
Kohl's sells better brands and better prices, offers diffusion lines from high-end designers.
JCP inflates prices to promote sales when, in reality, "sale" prices are often near regular retail.
Kohl'd stores are smaller and more efficient.
Are you just kidding around with the bolded? Kohl’s lives and dies by its promotional activities (i.e. sales). They are packed during sales, or when their “kohl’s cash” from the last sale is about to expire, and mostly deserted the rest of the year. The marked price of nearly everything is way over market value. They will sell, at a profit, ALL “fine jewelry” at 50%-70% off of the marked price many times a year and then take an additional 10%, 20%, or 30% off of the sale price for lucky kohl’s credit card holders. You can’t get more inflated than that. I’ve never seen comparable or identical shoes, toys, housewares, or kitchen electrics marked at a higher price anywhere, including high end department stores.

Their “kohl’s cash” is like magic beans. When customers make a purchase and RECEIVE “kohl’s cash”, they mentally reduce what they paid by the amount of said cash. Then a few weeks later when the SPEND the “kohl’s cash” plus, usually, more money, they mentally reduce the price they paid in the second transaction by the amount of the same “kohl’s cash” again. In addition, Kohl’s makes countless add-on sales due to the halo effect of the received “kohl’s cash”, much of which is never redeemed due to loss or inconvenient use and expiration dates. All of this is carefully built into the system.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:32 PM

91 posts, read 47,481 times
It must depend on locations. I patronize a Kohl's in a New York area that is fairly well to do and really like it. The store is spotless, and well stocked. On the other hand there is another I've been to that is about 20 mins away, and it looks as if a bomb went off in it. Merchandise all over the floor. I assumed that had to to with management and staffing.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 PM

1,339 posts, read 471,928 times
Advertising and clever marketing. Kohl’s always has adds that include a discount code, Kohl’s cash and often sales on top of that. During their November sales, I did some Christmas shopping and bought some things for myself. I walked out with a large bag full of clothes for around a hundred bucks. It felt like I got some great deals along with the Kohl’s cash for next time. It dosen’t seem like the deals are as good from Penney’s.

Still love Nordies, but Kohl’s has its place. They are great for casual clothes and sleepwear. I never used them much for work clothes.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:47 PM

76,260 posts, read 68,352,303 times
Well, I disagree with what's been said about Penny's not comparing favorably with Kohl's. Maybe the stores in my town are an exception, but Penny's is definitely more spacious and has much better customer service, and better fashion. Kohl's is just awful on all counts. It could be that the buyers at our local Kohl's have horrible taste, IDK, but I went into Kohl's once, and I'm done.

Shopping at Penny's, OTOH, is pleasurable. I may not always find something clothing-wise, but they're great for housewares, and they have good sale pricing. Kohl's clothing was mostly synthetic, while Penny's has a lot more natural-fiber items and the display arrangements make it much easier to see what they have.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 PM

30,235 posts, read 12,921,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I disagree with what's been said about Penny's not comparing favorably with Kohl's. Maybe the stores in my town are an exception, but Penny's is definitely more spacious and has much better customer service, and better fashion. Kohl's is just awful on all counts. It could be that the buyers at our local Kohl's have horrible taste, IDK, but I went into Kohl's once, and I'm done. Shopping at Penny's, OTOH, is pleasurable. I may not always find something clothing-wise, but they're great for housewares, and they have good sale pricing. Kohl's clothing was mostly synthetic, while Penny's has a lot more natural-fiber items and the display arrangements make it much easier to see what they have.
That's how it is here too, I'm within a few miles of four Kohl's stores and they all suck. I tried to buy my grandson a pair of shoes and the Kohl's website showed they were in stock in all four stores, but none of the stores had them in stock. The shoe department was a mess with shoes in the wrong boxes and a ton of empty shoe boxes. And i agree about the quality of their store brand clothes, the "Sonoma" line isn't bad I've bought a few things that seem sized correctly and they held up well but most of the other stuff is garbage and everything seems to be acrylic or some kind of synthetic fabric- what happened to cotton?

Years ago people made fun of Macy's coupons because they excluded so many brands and items, but Kohl's has taken that to a whole new level:
https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/det...86/kw/Excluded

Until 3 or 4 years ago I shopped at Kohl's a lot, but I rarely even stop at their stores anymore. For one thing the disarray disturbs me. I guess I'm a little OCD and messy stores with clothes falling on the floor and nothing being sorted by size or color disturbs me, it makes me feel like I'm shopping at Goodwill. I'd much rather go to Penney's or Macy's than deal with the chaos.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 04-12-2019 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 PM

30,235 posts, read 12,921,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I disagree with what's been said about Penny's not comparing favorably with Kohl's. Maybe the stores in my town are an exception, but Penny's is definitely more spacious and has much better customer service, and better fashion. Kohl's is just awful on all counts. It could be that the buyers at our local Kohl's have horrible taste, IDK, but I went into Kohl's once, and I'm done. Shopping at Penny's, OTOH, is pleasurable. I may not always find something clothing-wise, but they're great for housewares, and they have good sale pricing. Kohl's clothing was mostly synthetic, while Penny's has a lot more natural-fiber items and the display arrangements make it much easier to see what they have.
That's how it is here too, I'm within a few miles of four Kohl's stores and they all suck. I tried to buy my grandson a pair of shoes and the Kohl's website showed they were in stock in all four stores, but none of the stores had them in stock. The shoe department was a mess with shoes in the wrong boxes and a ton of empty shoe boxes. And i agree about the quality of their store brand clothes, the "Sonoma" line isn't bad I've bought a few things that seem sized correctly and they held up well but most of the other stuff is garbage and everything seems to be acrylic or some kind of synthetic fabric- what happened to cotton?

Years ago people made fun of Macy's coupons because they excluded so many brands and items, but Kohl's has taken that to a whole new level:
https://cs.kohls.com/app/answers/det...86/kw/Excluded

I used to be regular Kohl's shopper, until three or four years ago I bought a lot of stuff there. Now I only rarely even bother to stop and look in the stores, the disarray disturbs me. I guess I'm a little OCD and messy stores with clothes falling on the floor and nothing being sorted by size or color disturbs me. I'd much rather go to Penney's or Macy's than deal with the chaos.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 PM

7,903 posts, read 8,417,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Kohl's is different from Marshalls. Each Marshalls has different things, thus if you buy something @ the Marshalls in one town, you can't go to another Marshalls and return it, it has to be returned @ the same Marshalls it was bought @. I wager TJ Maxx is the same. Kohl's carries most of the same stuff across all their stores.

I find Marshalls has more high end things than Kohls. I see a lot of shoes specifically like Ermenigildo Zegna or Jessica Simpson. Kohl's doesn't carry stuff like that.
No, Kohl's carries different inventory based on their location. I don't mean exclusively Long Island locations. You do realize that the same manufacturer can make clothes under different names. I used TJ Maxx/Marshalls as an example of quality, but the thread is really a comparison about JC Penny vs. Kohl's. The big difference is that JC Penny's is a department store in the true sense of a department store (Not the JC Penny Express stores) so that they sell a large inventory of non-apparel goods. You are probably correct about the return policy of TJ Maxx. I don't buy their stuff so no need to make returns. I just go when I'm with people who like to shop there. IME, the JC Penny's outside of the NYC area, where there's less competition from other department stores and if they haven't been shut down recently, are nicer than the ones we have on Long Island.

Anyway, I recently had to make an emergency shopping trip to the nearest store that I could find open on a Sunday outside of Bergen County to buy sheets. Kohl's was the closest, but they had no twin sized fitted sheets at that store. Ended up at Walmart just to get something cheap temporarily.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 PM

36,238 posts, read 54,332,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Are you just kidding around with the bolded? Kohl’s lives and dies by its promotional activities (i.e. sales). They are packed during sales, or when their “kohl’s cash” from the last sale is about to expire, and mostly deserted the rest of the year. The marked price of nearly everything is way over market value. They will sell, at a profit, ALL “fine jewelry” at 50%-70% off of the marked price many times a year and then take an additional 10%, 20%, or 30% off of the sale price for lucky kohl’s credit card holders. You can’t get more inflated than that. I’ve never seen comparable or identical shoes, toys, housewares, or kitchen electrics marked at a higher price anywhere, including high end department stores.

Their “kohl’s cash” is like magic beans. When customers make a purchase and RECEIVE “kohl’s cash”, they mentally reduce what they paid by the amount of said cash. Then a few weeks later when the SPEND the “kohl’s cash” plus, usually, more money, they mentally reduce the price they paid in the second transaction by the amount of the same “kohl’s cash” again. In addition, Kohl’s makes countless add-on sales due to the halo effect of the received “kohl’s cash”, much of which is never redeemed due to loss or inconvenient use and expiration dates. All of this is carefully built into the system.

Hmmm...I see that most people here disagree with my post, but this was my impression when I visited the stores. Perhaps I just got lucky with the Kohl's store near me. It was roomy and bright and very organized. The prices seemed not overly inflated either - lots of sales, although I do understand that's a standard practice of many.
In the contrary the JCP located in a nearby, dying mall was just old and grimy, and seemed very outdated.
It was few years ago, though - I don't shop in US clothing stores much anymore.

Now, I see some members compared it to Marshalls or Nordstrom outlet stores and yes, Kohl's is clearly not the winner. But JCP? Maybe it's just me, but I never liked it (the apparel section), even decades ago.
They had some decent deals in Home department, though.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty