Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

Now Kohls - all their tops i would like at first glance were usually made of rayon. I don't like that fabric.
Kohl's really is the mecca of synthetic fabrics, at least in women's attire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I disagree with what's been said about Penny's not comparing favorably with Kohl's. Maybe the stores in my town are an exception, but Penny's is definitely more spacious and has much better customer service, and better fashion. Kohl's is just awful on all counts. It could be that the buyers at our local Kohl's have horrible taste, IDK, but I went into Kohl's once, and I'm done.

Shopping at Penny's, OTOH, is pleasurable. I may not always find something clothing-wise, but they're great for housewares, and they have good sale pricing. Kohl's clothing was mostly synthetic, while Penny's has a lot more natural-fiber items and the display arrangements make it much easier to see what they have.
It might just vary by location.

I would say, here, regionally, Kohls retains a better rep than JCP, which have mostly liquidated, and those that remain are fairly unkempt.

I find both to stock the same, largely unappealing, fashion.

I did get some basic black dress pants at Kohl's when pumping up my internship wardrobe that were of surprisingly decent quality for the price point, but more an exception than a rule, there.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:09 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
I think that Kohl's has probably done better by limiting what it tries to do. Doing a few things reasonably well is better than doing more things poorly.

Kohl's has never pretended to be a full range department store, as JC Penney has been. Offering things like furniture makes the business much more challenging. Kohl's is strictly clothes and housewares.

I think it's also less of a hassle to go to Kohl's. That's a big deal today. Going to the mall is a hassle, with all the traffic, parking issues, etc. Department stores are bigger and require more time to navigate. If you just want to grab something quickly, it's easier to go to a smaller store where you can park your car right outside and run in.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
If I ever go to the one near me on the weekend, there is always a long line and this is one with multiple cashiers. I haven't bought anything there but my parents shop there frequently with all of their deals and discounts that they pile up. I think it appeals to a certain demographic.
The last few times I shopped at the largest, nicest JCP by me there was such a long check-out line that I just put everything down and left. This was at Christmas time when the store should have had cashiers at every check-out not just two. Old Navy isn't much better depending on when you go there but their prices make it worth it. Still I would rather pay a little more for nicer merchandise at Dillard's or Macy's.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:29 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The last few times I shopped at the largest, nicest JCP by me there was such a long check-out line that I just put everything down and left. This was at Christmas time when the store should have had cashiers at every check-out not just two. Old Navy isn't much better depending on when you go there but their prices make it worth it. Still I would rather pay a little more for nicer merchandise at Dillard's or Macy's.
One line served by multiple cashiers give you a feeling of movement, especially with the exit in sight. JC Penny with the old department store model of cashiers serving their section in the interior of the store with their check stations serving two at a time at most, if they are manned just leaves the customer with a what am I doing here feeling.

Along with the crack of the rolling sales and coupons which caused the failed red, white and blue JCP scheme is the difference.

That said if I need something fast and the resellers like Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Burlingtons doesn't have my size or color then JCP would be my next option. Except on weekends or near Christmas or Mother's Day rushes.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:57 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think that Kohl's has probably done better by limiting what it tries to do. Doing a few things reasonably well is better than doing more things poorly.

Kohl's has never pretended to be a full range department store, as JC Penney has been. Offering things like furniture makes the business much more challenging. Kohl's is strictly clothes and housewares.

I think it's also less of a hassle to go to Kohl's. That's a big deal today. Going to the mall is a hassle, with all the traffic, parking issues, etc. Department stores are bigger and require more time to navigate. If you just want to grab something quickly, it's easier to go to a smaller store where you can park your car right outside and run in.
I think the bolded is a huge part of it too. I grew up in Jersey malls, lol, and I love to shop, but Penney's is a long slog to navigate - multiple floors, lots of random departments laid out in a pattern I never figured out. I was always just wandering the place overwhelmed. Kohl's is easy, basically one big circle with fairly clear delineations. There women's clothing department is a bit chaotic, but I can usually find something to suit my purposes. And then it's straight to the checkout and out the door.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:08 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No, Kohl's carries different inventory based on their location. I don't mean exclusively Long Island locations. You do realize that the same manufacturer can make clothes under different names. I used TJ Maxx/Marshalls as an example of quality, but the thread is really a comparison about JC Penny vs. Kohl's. The big difference is that JC Penny's is a department store in the true sense of a department store (Not the JC Penny Express stores) so that they sell a large inventory of non-apparel goods. You are probably correct about the return policy of TJ Maxx. I don't buy their stuff so no need to make returns. I just go when I'm with people who like to shop there. IME, the JC Penny's outside of the NYC area, where there's less competition from other department stores and if they haven't been shut down recently, are nicer than the ones we have on Long Island.

Anyway, I recently had to make an emergency shopping trip to the nearest store that I could find open on a Sunday outside of Bergen County to buy sheets. Kohl's was the closest, but they had no twin sized fitted sheets at that store. Ended up at Walmart just to get something cheap temporarily.
I have noticed JCPenney does localize its stock too. Here in the Phoenix area alone one JCPenney carries my favorite brand while another does not. The idea of regionalized inventory among stores I think was pioneered by Macy's.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:47 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
While Kohl's and JCPenney compete in the same market segment, Kohl's is thriving while JCPenney is struggling. Both carry comparable brands from the lower end to the upper mid range.

Is it Kohl's more modern stores? Is it because most Kohl's stores are located outside of malls? Is it because Kohl's has more agreements with major celebrities?
I don't think it is the stores the stores have entirely too much merchandise in too small of a space, too cluttered.

Not even sure that they stores are located outside of malls. There are a few malls that their stores are in, and I don't think it is the celebrity thing K-Mart had agreements with celebrities and that didn't help them.

Kohl's has better research, better data. They're sort of like a WalMart for mid-tier fashion. They're what a department store should be when it is firing on all cylinders. Like department stores were back in the eighties and nineties. They're efficient, and they don't take chances on stuff that won't work.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:50 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I don't think it is the stores the stores have entirely too much merchandise in too small of a space, too cluttered.

Not even sure that they stores are located outside of malls. There are a few malls that their stores are in, and I don't think it is the celebrity thing K-Mart had agreements with celebrities and that didn't help them.

Kohl's has better research, better data. They're sort of like a WalMart for mid-tier fashion. They're what a department store should be when it is firing on all cylinders. Like department stores were back in the eighties and nineties. They're efficient, and they don't take chances on stuff that won't work.
Well, there are some mid-range to semi-premium brands that both carry such as so I am pretty sure that some of their customers will cross-shop. Also consider that JCPenney once sold the Ralph Lauren-owned American Living brand that was comparable to the Chaps brand sold by Kohl's and other mid-range department stores such as Belk. Apparently American Living sold poorly.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:59 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times
Although Kohl's has quality items, I find it expensive. JCPenny was cheaper and had good quality items also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty