U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 04:00 PM

6,025 posts, read 5,770,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Well, there are some mid-range to semi-premium brands that both carry such as so I am pretty sure that some of their customers will cross-shop. Also consider that JCPenney once sold the Ralph Lauren-owned American Living brand that was comparable to the Chaps brand sold by Kohl's and other mid-range department stores such as Belk. Apparently American Living sold poorly.
True.

I don't know what happened with American Living. Anyone familiar with Blue label could tell it was Ralph Lauren but I think Ralph Lauren was oversaturated at that point. Too much Ralph Lauren.

I also remember old timers complaining about JCPenney's quality. They don't like thin, lightweight clothing, which is where JcPenney seems to be at these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 04:01 PM

JCPenny has a lot of logistical issues. They have trouble executing on a plan.

A great example is what happened when the last CEO had the great idea of giving people low prices, as opposed to sales and discounts. He wanted everyday low prices. The prices that their attire is actually worth. Old timers felt some type of way because they actually prefer the sales, even though the sales are the prices the merchandise should sell at, and everything else is highway robbery. As you can imagine that CEO did not last long.

They also reduced the amount of retail that was out on the floor to give it an upscale feel, like Nordstroms. To make it less cluttered and easier to navigate. That didn't work either.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,774 posts, read 32,939,647 times
If you have a Kohl's credit card and regularly shop the clearance racks, you can save quite a bit on clothing at Kohl's. I've never found the level of discounting that Kohls' does at JC Penney. I rarely spend more than $10 on shirts or pants at Kohl's. And many times, those purchases have been closer to $5.

The regular prices are no bargain, but the clearance discounting at Kohl's is impressive. My wife thinks so, too!

Old 04-13-2019, 05:34 PM

1,823 posts, read 627,023 times
It's not really a good comparison. JC Penney is more in line with Sears than with Kohl's. Kohl's and Marshalls are similar in offerings.

Kohl's never sold furniture, fixtures or major appliances. JC Penney and Sears did. In January 2016, Forbes reported that JC Penney was poised to reenter the major appliance market after 33 years out of that venue; and, subsequently reported that they were testing the waters and trying it out again in 22 of their retail stores.

I'm not sure what became of that as I only shop them online. I don't see major appliances being offered by JCP online.

In my opinion, if JC Penney can learn anything here, it would be to remain in the big leagues with providing competition to Sears in the online arena.

If Kohl's has anything to teach JCP, it would be in the clothing segment of their business. They aren't behind the times at all when it comes to style, but they are sadly lacking when it comes to quality.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:58 PM

29,663 posts, read 46,695,022 times
I don’t shop at Kohl’s regularly because don’t really have a need to shop
And I admit there are things it is easier to order from Amazon and get what you want than schlep around to 2-4-5 stores trying to find what you want w/o luck

But people I know who LIKE to shop at Kohl’s like the rewards—the points—the special discounts
So I think Kohl’s was smarter about marketing deals/incentives to their shoppers and getting them hooked on the idea they were saving money

Plus Penney’s was going downhill before Kohl’s really took off IMO
I shopped Penney’s 20+yrs ago and even then the buyers’ choices were not the same quality/style/look that Macy’s or Dillard’s were carrying...and Penney’s at that time did consider itself more on a par with those stores than Kohl’s type of mid level stuff...
So I think lot of this issue with its success has nothing to do with Amazon or even WalMart

The only thing I really will buy from Penney’s is sheets—
They carry a brand of sheets that feel and look fresh even after a week on the bed...
I regret buying other sheets just to save money and try to catch those sheets on sale

Old 04-13-2019, 06:12 PM

11,230 posts, read 19,916,638 times
Neither store is good - as with all/most other stores, as had been mentioned MANY times - clothing today is all low quality, you can't find cotton, etc. - it's all a matter of using coupons, discounts, etc. and weighing whether it's worth purchasing whatever item for that price. Neither store IMO is doing anything "right" - they are going after trends and apparently people are falling for it and buying the junk.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:26 PM

To be fair JCPenney was bad in the eighties. The whole JCP thing was a bad marketing move.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:36 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,689,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
True.

I don't know what happened with American Living. Anyone familiar with Blue label could tell it was Ralph Lauren but I think Ralph Lauren was oversaturated at that point. Too much Ralph Lauren.

I also remember old timers complaining about JCPenney's quality. They don't like thin, lightweight clothing, which is where JcPenney seems to be at these days.
Ralph Lauren did try to market American Living as an in-house exclusive line, while Chaps at the time was entirely licensed out. Many people don't even know that Chaps is actually still owned by Ralph Lauren ever since the "Chaps by Ralph Lauren" branding was shortened to just "Chaps". It was only more recently that Ralph Lauren brought some Chaps product lines in-house, but this was only due to some acquisitions of some of the licensees by competitors (I think PVH was forced to sell the men's sportwear license since they bought Warnaco, since PVH owns a major competitor of Chaps).

Old 04-13-2019, 08:12 PM

6,872 posts, read 12,318,096 times
I read somewhere that some Kohls will be smaller. They will be converting some of their stores space into Planet Fitness.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:52 PM

2,748 posts, read 9,520,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think that Kohl's has probably done better by limiting what it tries to do. Doing a few things reasonably well is better than doing more things poorly.

Kohl's has never pretended to be a full range department store, as JC Penney has been. Offering things like furniture makes the business much more challenging. Kohl's is strictly clothes and housewares.

I think it's also less of a hassle to go to Kohl's. That's a big deal today. Going to the mall is a hassle, with all the traffic, parking issues, etc. Department stores are bigger and require more time to navigate. If you just want to grab something quickly, it's easier to go to a smaller store where you can park your car right outside and run in.
I think many of these comments depend on location. The Kohls where I live sells furniture including outdoor. They also sell electronics and luggage. JCP is always a hot mess with very few sales people/cashiers. I rarely go to either. I only shop there when I need something specific that they might actually have on a "real" sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty