U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 06:19 AM

27 posts, read 4,692 times

Advertisements

My nephew is a fan of wearing hats. I was wondering what hats are popular these days for young men. He commonly wears baseball caps and beanies. Was looking for a style of hat to get him that he would actually wear. So please don't recommend a fedora haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:57 AM

5,087 posts, read 7,727,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLane View Post
My nephew is a fan of wearing hats. I was wondering what hats are popular these days for young men. He commonly wears baseball caps and beanies. Was looking for a style of hat to get him that he would actually wear. So please don't recommend a fedora haha.
I personally like the Flexfit baseball caps. While I have one in pink, they are available in many different colors. You can get them either in a small/medium or a large/XL size, with a few larger sizes available on select items.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:46 AM

4,773 posts, read 2,115,196 times
Well, every hipster wore a trilby for a while. I am not sure if that fad has started to decline or not.

But there remain a number of alternatives.

- Panama
- Straw boater
- Bowler
- Western, from narrowish brim to quite wide, in an enormous variety of colors and straw or felt.
- Pork pie
- Flat cap
- Yachtsman's cap (also known as Greek fisherman's cap)
- Kippah
- African-inspired skullcaps - often with fancy embroidery
- 10 gallon (you know, with the enormous hihg crown, like Hoss Cartwright used to wear)
- Top hats from the short to the tall
- Kepi a la French Foreign Legion
- Flat cap a la Irish workman in 1930
- Floppy fishing hat
- Aussie hat (you know, the one with one side folded up and held with a snap)
- Beanie with a propeller on top
- Miter
- Drum major's shako
- Handkerchief knotted in each corner

Shall I continue?

Old 04-19-2019, 08:49 AM

2,684 posts, read 1,009,751 times
Boonie hat?

Old 04-19-2019, 09:12 AM

5,134 posts, read 4,984,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

- Panama
- Straw boater
- Bowler
- Western, from narrowish brim to quite wide, in an enormous variety of colors and straw or felt.
- Pork pie
- Flat cap
- Yachtsman's cap (also known as Greek fisherman's cap)
- Kippah
- African-inspired skullcaps - often with fancy embroidery
- 10 gallon (you know, with the enormous hihg crown, like Hoss Cartwright used to wear)
- Top hats from the short to the tall
- Kepi a la French Foreign Legion
- Flat cap a la Irish workman in 1930
- Floppy fishing hat
- Aussie hat (you know, the one with one side folded up and held with a snap)
- Beanie with a propeller on top
- Miter
- Drum major's shako
- Handkerchief knotted in each corner

Propeller beanie is a great suggestion.

Bowler is cool, particularly if worn on the back of the head, like Harvey Logan in that photo of the "Wild Bunch".

My friend Gary has a Hoss Cartwright hat.

The Pope's hat is miter than the sword.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:16 AM

12,352 posts, read 7,344,213 times
Quote:
If he likes wearing baseball caps and beanies why not get him a baseball hat or beanie?

Do you ever see him wearing other styles of hats? When he was in his 20s, my husband almost never left the house without a beanie or a baseball cap. Even in his 30s, he always has a beanie on when it's cold out. If someone bought him one of the types of hats turf3 listed, he wouldn't wear it. Just because he wears one or two types of hats, doesn't mean he's interested in just any trendy headwear.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:07 AM

77,022 posts, read 68,951,007 times
Quote:
Well, you asked which kind are popular, and fedoras are a popular kind. But it sounds like he's not a fedora kind of guy.

You could check on the San Diego Hat Company website... While, for spring and summer, they tend to have various styles of straw hats, they also do baseball-style caps, fisherman's hats, and other styles.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 555,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If he likes wearing baseball caps and beanies why not get him a baseball hat or beanie?

Do you ever see him wearing other styles of hats? When he was in his 20s, my husband almost never left the house without a beanie or a baseball cap. Even in his 30s, he always has a beanie on when it's cold out. If someone bought him one of the types of hats turf3 listed, he wouldn't wear it. Just because he wears one or two types of hats, doesn't mean he's interested in just any trendy headwear.
This makes sense to me. I like wearing baseball caps (and sometimes beanies) at work. I never wear them outside of work... but that's just my preference.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 AM

10,241 posts, read 11,077,889 times
I suspect he actually wears a watch cap or knit cap, and not actually a beanie.

It can be hard to find a hat that someone else will like. If you think he might want to expand his wardrobe horizons you might consider a flat cap--it's not much more formal than what he's used to, but it does take it up a notch. Another possibility is a bucket hat, which can be lightweight and casual.

Another possibility is to find him a baseball cap from a team or region that he likes but isn't likely to find on his own. For instance, there are web pages where you can find minor league baseball team caps and even Negro League caps, which might appeal if you know what team his favorite player played on.

Finally, if he's into cycling he might try a cycling cap. Different enough from a baseball cap to be noticeable, but maybe appealing. (I would go for a Molteni cap because I'm a big fan of Eddy Merckx, the greatest cyclist of all time, but cycling caps are really quite small so it wouldn't work for me.)

Last edited by jackmccullough; 04-19-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 04-19-2019, 11:16 AM

11,074 posts, read 8,207,943 times
I love the newsboy/flat cap. Probably because guys wear them around the stables. Kind of British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty